s363 vs s366? - RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum

Single Turbo RX-7's Questions about all aspects of single turbo setups.

s363 vs s366?

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-27-13, 12:10 AM
  #1  
Rotor or no motor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
R-R-Rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Cyprus
Posts: 2,648
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
s363 vs s366?

Anyone has any direct experience with both ? Power output is not the issue but response is.

any data/logs are welcome
thanks
R-R-Rx7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 02:52 AM
  #2  
Uncontrollable drifter
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
dznutzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Greece
Posts: 629
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Εγω εχω την 362/3, αλλα δεν εχω ρυθμησει το αμαξι ακομα...
dznutzuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 02:58 AM
  #3  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
bmwrx7man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: cranston rhode island
Posts: 891
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i made a thread about this too .. the s366 is just too lagy in my case and only good when ur 500+ im going with a s363 or s360 and call it a day
bmwrx7man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 07:25 AM
  #4  
Rotor or no motor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
R-R-Rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Cyprus
Posts: 2,648
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Based on your thread it appears that u havent tried any

Looking for someone who did so he can provide logs and data.
A week ago u were still trying to find a source for purchasing one so I don't think ur comment has any backed up information
R-R-Rx7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 01:48 PM
  #5  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
bmwrx7man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: cranston rhode island
Posts: 891
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ever said i tried any LOL . just look at videos of people with s366 in between gear shifts and the spool time.
bmwrx7man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 04:33 PM
  #6  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
thewird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 6,584
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The s366 is laggy as hell. I've tuned one, I was disappointed after hearing how people love the turbo but it turns out they only love the price. Performance is subpar.

thewird
thewird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 06:11 PM
  #7  
Rotor or no motor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
R-R-Rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Cyprus
Posts: 2,648
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bmwrx7man View Post
ever said i tried any LOL . just look at videos of people with s366 in between gear shifts and the spool time.
So a video can make you understand the setup?
Read the original question
"DIRECT EXPERIENCE"
ever came across this term?
R-R-Rx7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 06:12 PM
  #8  
Rotor or no motor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
R-R-Rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Cyprus
Posts: 2,648
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thewird View Post
The s366 is laggy as hell. I've tuned one, I was disappointed after hearing how people love the turbo but it turns out they only love the price. Performance is subpar.

thewird
Marco,
Do you have any logs and some info about the engine and exhaust setup? Would like to see its behavior
R-R-Rx7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 06:24 PM
  #9  
In the burnout box...
10 Year Member
iTrader: (32)
 
mono4lamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 4,453
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Costas, the corrected mass flow is so similar it's not funny. The big difference is the turbine wheel's. The 363 is 76mm over 68mm. The 366 is 80 over 73.

To make a decision I wouldn't be really comparing the compressor wheels here. Many people fail to look at the "exhaust side" of the turbocharged engine to really make their setups fit as far as efficiency or power. PM me or call me if you want...
mono4lamar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 09:43 PM
  #10  
Rotor or no motor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
R-R-Rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Cyprus
Posts: 2,648
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mono4lamar View Post
Costas, the corrected mass flow is so similar it's not funny. The big difference is the turbine wheel's. The 363 is 76mm over 68mm. The 366 is 80 over 73.

To make a decision I wouldn't be really comparing the compressor wheels here. Many people fail to look at the "exhaust side" of the turbocharged engine to really make their setups fit as far as efficiency or power. PM me or call me if you want...
Hey lance,

I know exactly what you are saying. I fell in that trap with my GTX4294R. I definately dont want the same things to repeat

somehow BW claims that they both have the same flow just at different pressures. true or not who am i to judge.

hence the question of DIRECT EXPERIENCE.
I know you worked on the BW turbos quite a bit. Unlike some other computer based engine builders/performance experts that learn from youtube videos
R-R-Rx7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 09:58 PM
  #11  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
thewird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 6,584
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R-R-Rx7 View Post
Marco,
Do you have any logs and some info about the engine and exhaust setup? Would like to see its behavior
I thought I did but its not on my laptop. Guess I never saved them. It was a tubular manifold with twin wastegates and a straight through 3" exhaust. Engine was a large ported REW with Cosmo intakes if I remember right. Wastegates were hooked up properly since I redid all the lines and I checked and fixed all box leaks using a tool to pressurize the whole system on the turbo.

thewird
thewird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 03:23 AM
  #12  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
bmwrx7man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: cranston rhode island
Posts: 891
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R-R-Rx7 View Post
Hey lance,

I know exactly what you are saying. I fell in that trap with my GTX4294R. I definately dont want the same things to repeat

somehow BW claims that they both have the same flow just at different pressures. true or not who am i to judge.

hence the question of DIRECT EXPERIENCE.
I know you worked on the BW turbos quite a bit. Unlike some other computer based engine builders/performance experts that learn from youtube videos
way to take a nice shot at me jesus ...lol guess ill find out when i put my bw on my car in a month or so .
bmwrx7man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 06:59 AM
  #13  
Rotor or no motor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
R-R-Rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Cyprus
Posts: 2,648
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bmwrx7man View Post
way to take a nice shot at me jesus ...lol guess ill find out when i put my bw on my car in a month or so .
thats more of a realistic answer. thank you !
R-R-Rx7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 01:57 AM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SA-TX
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can also attest the s366 is lazy. I'm currently running one on my civic.
TX-7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 04:05 AM
  #15  
Uncontrollable drifter
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
dznutzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Greece
Posts: 629
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TX-7 View Post
I can also attest the s366 is lazy. I'm currently running one on my civic.
Hmmm, now that's really comparing apples to .... I really don't know what!!!
dznutzuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 11:27 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SA-TX
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ya i know, just sharing my experience with it on my platform.
TX-7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 11:12 PM
  #17  
35r 13b first gen
iTrader: (3)
 
zaridar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Richland Center WI
Posts: 1,289
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think what he's saying is although you are just sharing it has no relevance to our cars/ engines. A my 35r with t4 hot side and wheel spooled real quick on my 12a... But would more likely than not be laggy on your car. I'm not trying to insult anyone.. Just saying
zaridar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 06:25 PM
  #18  
94 Rotars
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so 500hp+ go s366?
400hp s363?
is that correct?
Adrian Anguiano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 06:55 PM
  #19  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (14)
 
Rocking Rotary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,481
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've only had a 366 on a rx7 but have used both in multiple diesel builds. Honestly the smaller ones are not worth messing around with since the 366 is generally cheaper and boost threshold is damn near the same from a 360 to a 366. If you want response make sure you have no exhaust or boost leaks and run a tighter a/r. It may limit your power up top but will come in faster on the low end. Then again everyone idea of lag is different.
Rocking Rotary is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 10:32 AM
  #20  
Rotor or no motor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
R-R-Rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Cyprus
Posts: 2,648
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocking Rotary View Post
I've only had a 366 on a rx7 but have used both in multiple diesel builds. Honestly the smaller ones are not worth messing around with since the 366 is generally cheaper and boost threshold is damn near the same from a 360 to a 366. If you want response make sure you have no exhaust or boost leaks and run a tighter a/r. It may limit your power up top but will come in faster on the low end. Then again everyone idea of lag is different.
while this is a 5 year old thread i suppose the setup is still "valid". it is from this century anyway

I cant say that your comment is helpful in sort of way. With any setups you obviously don't want boost or exhaust leaks .... how does that help someone understand whether this setup is suitable for someone's application. ?????

So in other words let me get a GT55 or larger but as long as i dont have any boost leaks i am ok ?!?! everything that you said above is, to say the least, IRRELEVANT !
R-R-Rx7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-18, 11:16 AM
  #21  
Lives on the Forum

iTrader: (6)
 
7_rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,107
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by R-R-Rx7 View Post
while this is a 5 year old thread i suppose the setup is still "valid". it is from this century anyway

I cant say that your comment is helpful in sort of way. With any setups you obviously don't want boost or exhaust leaks .... how does that help someone understand whether this setup is suitable for someone's application. ?????

So in other words let me get a GT55 or larger but as long as i dont have any boost leaks i am ok ?!?! everything that you said above is, to say the least, IRRELEVANT !
Behave yourself Costas
7_rocket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-18, 11:34 AM
  #22  
Rotor or no motor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
R-R-Rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Cyprus
Posts: 2,648
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post
Behave yourself Costas
😘
Dom... i am at my best behavior...But to be completely honest this answer was BS
R-R-Rx7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-18, 12:56 PM
  #23  
94 Rotars
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i found this that says:
................................................. ..S366..........................................S3 63

14.7 PSI Boost...............66 pounds 497 rwhp....................64 pounds 482 rwhp

20 psi............................72.4 pounds 545 rwhp.................70.6 pounds 532 rwhp

max air at 62% eff.........76 pounds 573 rwhp...................76 pounds 573 rwhp

you may be thinking that the S366 has an edge so what is this thread about. i say that the hp diff between the two turbos is a jump ball.

what isn't a jump ball is that the S366 compressor wheel is 10% larger.

S366 compressor area is 7.743 square inches

S363 compressor area is 7.04 sq inches.

this isn't "jump ball." this is a major spool drag for the S366. a drag you feel all the time.

in addition, the heaviest part of the turbo by miles is the turbine wheel assembly. the S366 has a 7.151 sq inch turbine while the S363 has a 6.31 sq inch wheel. the S363 is much lighter which also promotes spool.

granted the rotary likes a larger hotside but the 6.31 S363 is plenty large...

compare it to the typical "big" Garrett P trim wheel at 5.89 sq inches.

so you have to swing a 10% larger compressor wheel and a 13% larger hotside w the S366 and just what do you get out of it V the S363?

both turbos are the same 9.19 inches in length and all other outer dimensions.

perhaps one of the reasons many end up w the S366 is that there is more of a settlement as to the name.... "S366"

just try to figure out what you are looking for w the S363 (my tag BTW)

it could be:

S300SX3- 63

BW S300SX8875

S362

i could go on.

what you want is a BW 177283 with a 177209 hotside (T4 divided 1.00 A/R)

the 177209 does not come w the turbo and is extra, around $170. Full-Race does sell the 177283 w the 177209 for the same price.

as always, shopping around pays dividends.

another nice option is a conversion of the weird 4.21 inch back end V band to a more friendly 3 inch. this is available from some vendors for $150 or so.

given the pricing, quality and configuration, this turbo is a great value for the FD owner looking to make around 500 at 20 or so psi.

as to mid-range... i run 295 rear tires at 27 psi and rolling into boost in 3rd i am on the edge of adhesion at 46% throttle at 14 psi. you will be happy w the midrange

favoring midrange on both turbos is a 52 trim on the compressor wheels. this compares to 63 trim on the Garrett/PT wheel of similar dimension to the 363. in spite of the 52 trim i found the 363 still delivering a lot of power at 8650 rpm...

Howard

https://www.rx7club.com/single-turbo...etter-1036411/ <---has maps and entire post
Adrian Anguiano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-18, 01:32 PM
  #24  
Rotor or no motor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
R-R-Rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Cyprus
Posts: 2,648
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrian Anguiano View Post
i found this that says:
................................................. ..S366..........................................S3 63

14.7 PSI Boost...............66 pounds 497 rwhp....................64 pounds 482 rwhp

20 psi............................72.4 pounds 545 rwhp.................70.6 pounds 532 rwhp

max air at 62% eff.........76 pounds 573 rwhp...................76 pounds 573 rwhp

you may be thinking that the S366 has an edge so what is this thread about. i say that the hp diff between the two turbos is a jump ball.

what isn't a jump ball is that the S366 compressor wheel is 10% larger.

S366 compressor area is 7.743 square inches

S363 compressor area is 7.04 sq inches.

this isn't "jump ball." this is a major spool drag for the S366. a drag you feel all the time.

in addition, the heaviest part of the turbo by miles is the turbine wheel assembly. the S366 has a 7.151 sq inch turbine while the S363 has a 6.31 sq inch wheel. the S363 is much lighter which also promotes spool.

granted the rotary likes a larger hotside but the 6.31 S363 is plenty large...

compare it to the typical "big" Garrett P trim wheel at 5.89 sq inches.

so you have to swing a 10% larger compressor wheel and a 13% larger hotside w the S366 and just what do you get out of it V the S363?

both turbos are the same 9.19 inches in length and all other outer dimensions.

perhaps one of the reasons many end up w the S366 is that there is more of a settlement as to the name.... "S366"

just try to figure out what you are looking for w the S363 (my tag BTW)

it could be:

S300SX3- 63

BW S300SX8875

S362

i could go on.

what you want is a BW 177283 with a 177209 hotside (T4 divided 1.00 A/R)

the 177209 does not come w the turbo and is extra, around $170. Full-Race does sell the 177283 w the 177209 for the same price.

as always, shopping around pays dividends.

another nice option is a conversion of the weird 4.21 inch back end V band to a more friendly 3 inch. this is available from some vendors for $150 or so.

given the pricing, quality and configuration, this turbo is a great value for the FD owner looking to make around 500 at 20 or so psi.

as to mid-range... i run 295 rear tires at 27 psi and rolling into boost in 3rd i am on the edge of adhesion at 46% throttle at 14 psi. you will be happy w the midrange

favoring midrange on both turbos is a 52 trim on the compressor wheels. this compares to 63 trim on the Garrett/PT wheel of similar dimension to the 363. in spite of the 52 trim i found the 363 still delivering a lot of power at 8650 rpm...

Howard

https://www.rx7club.com/single-turbo...etter-1036411/ <---has maps and entire post
Even though i am no longer looking for the s363 or s366 options (EFR ftw) i will study it thanks!
R-R-Rx7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-18, 03:21 PM
  #25  
94 Rotars
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EFR 9180?

my cousin was going to run it on his supra and he was saying to get one but i was looking at spool and all was comparing it and then was going to compare to the 369

after sevenstock i confirmed the EFR 9180 best out of everything

this just sucks me in to get it definately...what pump and what are your power goals
Adrian Anguiano is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: s363 vs s366?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: