Single Turbo RX-7's Questions about all aspects of single turbo setups.

Best Single Turbo Vacuum/Harness How-to

Old 03-15-15, 09:49 PM
  #26  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,168
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
[/img]http://www.turborx7.com/images/Technical/vacuum_hose_diagram2.jpg[/img]

stock vacuum diagram. looks like the oil metering pump line pulls vacuum from the intake of the primary turbo.

fuel atomization comes from the turbo intercooler crossover pipe from factory. I just replicated this on my single turbo set up.
lOOkatme is offline  
Old 03-15-15, 09:50 PM
  #27  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,168
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
lOOkatme is offline  
Old 03-15-15, 10:44 PM
  #28  
Lives on the Forum
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,492
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
That's what I'm saying—the OMPs aren't vacuum or boost, they are just atmosphere, and possibly a vent (i DO know that if your nozzle fails, it pukes oil into your intake in the stock system).

I have an extra 1/4" nipple on my filler neck, which is otherwise vented with a -10 AN line to a large Jaz can with big filter on top (so atmosphere). That might be an easy place to plumb the OMP lines.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 03-15-15, 10:47 PM
  #29  
Lives on the Forum
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,492
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
You're not going to pull any vacuum off the turbo inlet with that little vac line, what with a big opening for the filter—think about it. Why would air be sucked from that little tube, when it can pull from a 3-4" opening.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 03-15-15, 10:49 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manassas
Posts: 340
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ptrhahn View Post
That's what I'm saying—the OMPs aren't vacuum or boost, they are just atmosphere, and possibly a vent (i DO know that if your nozzle fails, it pukes oil into your intake in the stock system).

I have an extra 1/4" nipple on my filler neck, which is otherwise vented with a -10 AN line to a large Jaz can with big filter on top (so atmosphere). That might be an easy place to plumb the OMP lines.
You're going to want "filtered" air.
Vicoor is offline  
Old 03-15-15, 11:00 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manassas
Posts: 340
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think there is a lot of confusion because people always refer to these as Vacuum hoses.

Really, depending on where the hose is plumbed and current engine operating conditions, there could be Vacuum, Atmospheric pressure, or Boost Pressure.
Vicoor is offline  
Old 03-16-15, 09:56 AM
  #32  
Lives on the Forum
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,492
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
The filler neck is "filtered" at the catch can, but it might not draw "clean" air in the sense that it will be mixed with crankcase fumes... I found a neat little dual inlet breather filter with mounting tabs on Amazon, I can just route both lines to that, and mount it someplace visible so that if it pukes any oil as indication of a failed nozzle, I'll see it.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 03-16-15, 10:36 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manassas
Posts: 340
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wouldn't be concerned about crankcase fumes, only dirt getting to and clogging the nozzles.
On one hand drawing crankcase fumes out of breather would kinda be like the way the PCV was intended to work, on the other having evidence of a failed nozzle could save an engine.
Vicoor is offline  
Old 03-16-15, 10:52 AM
  #34  
Lives on the Forum
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,492
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
If I hadn't sold my mini Jaz can/breather and bracket for the big one, I'd just hook that back up.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 03-16-15, 02:40 PM
  #35  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,168
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ptrhahn View Post
You're not going to pull any vacuum off the turbo inlet with that little vac line, what with a big opening for the filter—think about it. Why would air be sucked from that little tube, when it can pull from a 3-4" opening.
Sure it pulls vacuum from that little tube. Just the same way as my boost controller shows vacuum when the engine is running and shows vacuum in all those lower cells. Same as with the MAP sensor and anything else.


If anything, being connected to the intake and when boosting a lot, there will be a hell of a lot of vacuum. If you improperly size a small air filter on a turbo, you can see the air filter suck in its top. The intake pulls a lot of air, regardless of the size of the tube. I run my oil filler neck to catch can to intake just like the later model rx7's.
lOOkatme is offline  
Old 03-17-15, 09:24 PM
  #36  
Lives on the Forum
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,492
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
what I'm saying is, the "vacuum" is being pulled by the engine in the case of the OMP injectors, not vacuum being pulled by the turbo away from the injectors as a "vacuum" source like the vac tank would have. As I read their operation, the lines simply allow the engine to draw air through that system... it's not using the suction of the turbo to suck air away from the injectors.

So you could run the lines open and just inject a tiny bit of unfiltered air, or run it them to a filtered source,like a mini breather filter.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 03-19-15, 09:05 PM
  #37  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,168
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ptrhahn View Post
what I'm saying is, the "vacuum" is being pulled by the engine in the case of the OMP injectors, not vacuum being pulled by the turbo away from the injectors as a "vacuum" source like the vac tank would have. As I read their operation, the lines simply allow the engine to draw air through that system... it's not using the suction of the turbo to suck air away from the injectors.

So you could run the lines open and just inject a tiny bit of unfiltered air, or run it them to a filtered source,like a mini breather filter.
ok I gotcha.
lOOkatme is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
stickmantijuana
3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002)
5
01-11-16 04:08 PM
stickmantijuana
Single Turbo RX-7's
0
08-21-15 08:35 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Single Turbo Vacuum/Harness How-to


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: