62mm options - RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum

Single Turbo RX-7's Questions about all aspects of single turbo setups.

62mm options

Reply

 
 
Old 12-07-17, 02:44 AM
  #1
Full Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
62mm options

Hello, I have narrowed down my choices for my single turbo set up to BW SXE 362, EFR 8374 and PTE 6266. To my knowledge these are all about the same size and would meet my goal of mid 400's on pump while maintaining a balance of spool speed and not having to pump crazy high psi. Now I know the EFR seems like the obvious choice but after reading about the SXE it seems like a good alternative to the EFR without breaking the bank especially since this will be 100% street/twisty driven car. The car is an FD for reference

So my question is, is there any reason I should be considering the PTE vs the BW options. Are there even any kits for these turbos for an FD? Does it have any advantage over or obvious disadvantages compared to the others, I couldn't find any infomation on the CEA II series on an Rx7.

Now looking over the BW options after speaking w/ shops/experts im finding the results are the EFR makes boost about 500 rpms quicker than the SXE at the same boost but costs about twice as much. Those of you who've used both is that 500rpm really worth it? Especially for a non-race car.

Lastly the longevity - have any of these turbos been known to crap out or need constant servicing? If so how is the customer service between PTE and BW?
JAlfano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 07:24 AM
  #2
Arrogant Wankeler
 
Slides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newcastle NSW Australia
Posts: 231
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
The lower boost threshold matters most on street cars. Track cars will usually have close ratio gearsets and short diff gears, and are being driven in their torque band, street cars usually cruising at lower revs and want roll on torque.

I think it would be hard to go past a turblown kit. Just a decision on efr or sxe.
Slides is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 09:44 AM
  #3
Brap Brap, Fap Fap
iTrader: (7)
 
Shainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lyme, CT
Posts: 1,417
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you don't already have a quality turbo manifold, wastegates, and blow off, get the EFR IWG kit. It's the best setup in about every way possible. If you already have those other parts and budget is a concern, consider the SX-E, but know it's not going to be responsive. I wouldn't consider a Precision on anything that gets driven often. Precisions make good power but their reliability isn't on par with OEM manufacturers like Borg Warner.
Shainiac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 10:47 AM
  #4
Full Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Portland
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Iíve got the 6266 gen2 on my car and absolutely love it. The turbo is responsive enough for mountain roads and perfect for our local race track. On the high end Iíve got as much as 565 hp and 495 ftlbs so itís got legs for the occasional freeway run. Iíd definitely argue the reliable quote, Iíve had this turbo for 2-3 years now and run it pretty hard every time Iím out. Time will only tell but Iíve also had precision tuebos on other cars and never had a problem. All I will say is run the oil restrictor they recommend and make sure your oil return is large enough. Thatís to be said with any turbo though.
13Bseries is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 11:15 AM
  #5
Rocket Appliances
iTrader: (11)
 
Skeese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 547
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I had a PT 6266 ball bearing turbo with a 1.0 hot side and absolutely loved it. Was a killer turbo kit made my aspec a good few years back. It really is an excellent turbo for a stock/street port FD.



My vote is PT6266

Skeese
Skeese is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 01:13 AM
  #6
Full Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 13Bseries View Post
Iíve got the 6266 gen2 on my car and absolutely love it. The turbo is responsive enough for mountain roads and perfect for our local race track. On the high end Iíve got as much as 565 hp and 495 ftlbs so itís got legs for the occasional freeway run. Iíd definitely argue the reliable quote, Iíve had this turbo for 2-3 years now and run it pretty hard every time Iím out. Time will only tell but Iíve also had precision tuebos on other cars and never had a problem. All I will say is run the oil restrictor they recommend and make sure your oil return is large enough. Thatís to be said with any turbo though.
Does anyone make a kit for our cars for PTE turbos? I only ever see old school greddy/hks kits and BW kits?
JAlfano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 01:14 AM
  #7
Full Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skeese View Post
I had a PT 6266 ball bearing turbo with a 1.0 hot side and absolutely loved it. Was a killer turbo kit made my aspec a good few years back. It really is an excellent turbo for a stock/street port FD.



My vote is PT6266

Skeese
Is aspec still around? I havent heard anytihng about them in quite so time. For whatever reason the PTEs have always interested me but I can't find any complete setups that are new.
JAlfano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 03:22 PM
  #8
Adaptronic Distributor
RX7Club Vendor
iTrader: (12)
 
Turblown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 6,675
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JAlfano View Post
Hello, I have narrowed down my choices for my single turbo set up to BW SXE 362, EFR 8374 and PTE 6266. To my knowledge these are all about the same size and would meet my goal of mid 400's on pump while maintaining a balance of spool speed and not having to pump crazy high psi. Now I know the EFR seems like the obvious choice but after reading about the SXE it seems like a good alternative to the EFR without breaking the bank especially since this will be 100% street/twisty driven car. The car is an FD for reference

So my question is, is there any reason I should be considering the PTE vs the BW options. Are there even any kits for these turbos for an FD? Does it have any advantage over or obvious disadvantages compared to the others, I couldn't find any infomation on the CEA II series on an Rx7.

Now looking over the BW options after speaking w/ shops/experts im finding the results are the EFR makes boost about 500 rpms quicker than the SXE at the same boost but costs about twice as much. Those of you who've used both is that 500rpm really worth it? Especially for a non-race car.

Lastly the longevity - have any of these turbos been known to crap out or need constant servicing? If so how is the customer service between PTE and BW?
I've only had one EFR come back to us for " repair" and it BW ended up saying it had oil contamination. They send a full spec sheet back on the analysis too. SXE models never heard of a failure. EFR 9180 you cannot over-speed or it can damage itself. I cannot count the number of blown PTE turbochargers we've replaced with BW or Garrett units. That's why I won't sell PTE based turbo kits. Now to be fair I believe the PTE turbos attract people with lower budgets because of their price points, and this generally leads to more short-cuts on the install and setups. Freshly built engines that aren't cleaned properly toss a lot of contamination into the turbos bearings for example.

We've got a group buy going on our new cast EWG long runners manifolds, you can get one and put a PTE on it if you wish, or get an SXE/EFR based kit;

Turblown FD3S Twinscroll EWG T4 Rx7 Turbo Manifold
Turblown is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
lacoclaina
Naturally Aspirated Performance Forum
31
05-13-16 01:28 PM
crispeed
Rotary Car Performance
0
04-13-07 05:28 AM
jrrotor
Latin America Forum
3
11-22-06 05:28 PM
aderson34
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
5
02-20-04 10:06 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.


All content Copyright © 2007 by Internet Brands, Inc. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: