Single Turbo FAQ Single turbo Archive

gt35/40 What's the big deal?

 
 
 
 
Old 08-05-03, 10:08 PM
  #1  
Rob
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,234
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gt35/40 What's the big deal?

Everyone seems captivated by the GT35/40 yet it's numbers don't seem overly impressive or groundbreaking. Why the sudden 35/40 craze? No flame intended.

respectfully, -Rob
wanklin is offline  
Old 08-05-03, 11:29 PM
  #2  
Mad Man

 
Carl Byck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Big Island Hawaii
Posts: 2,758
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm stayin out of this
Carl Byck is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 12:31 AM
  #3  
Rotary Enthusiast
10 Year Member
 
Poweraxel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In the Sky
Posts: 1,190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
then your best bet is NOT to get a GT35/40 ..... you could be like everyone else a get a big turbo like a T78, T51R and wonder why you get smoked by a twin turbo or "small single turbo" car

as ive seem numerous times on this forum.. there seems to be more people with "big turbos" on there cars and they cant get over 400rwhp and complain there car is not fun to drive anymore.. .. theres a couple of owners here with a big turbo set-ups that run well but the ratio is overwhelming

this is talking out of experience as ive had the T78 (twice) HKS T51Rkai, Apexi RX-6, GT35/40, HKS T04R and i have to say since i drive/enjoy my car 99% on the street the smaller single turbos were definately better and funner for me.

theres many alternatives out there and you need to get the turbo thats right for YOU... some people here will tell you X turbo is better than Y turbo but they dont even have a single turbo set-up themselves (or one that even runs)!

do a search and you will see the guys who actually have experience with certain turbos


good luck,
Steve
Poweraxel is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 01:32 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tampa
Posts: 282
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steve... please post what you thought about each of those setups and compair them... i am looking for something that i can daily drive and have fun but still have a good time at the strip and run some good times...
-Keith
Sl0w7 is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 01:52 AM
  #5  
Rotary Enthusiast
10 Year Member
 
Poweraxel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In the Sky
Posts: 1,190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keith,
If your lookiing for good for the street and FUN to drive, look at "smaller turbo" set-ups...here are some examples:
1. HKS T04E
2. APEXi RX-6
3. Greddy TD0620G
4. XS Eng T04E
5. A-Spec GT35/40

these are great turbo set-ups for your needs.. these set-ups are considered streetable by the manufactuers... these same manufactuers dont suggest running there "race" set-ups for the street i.e. Greddy T78,T88, HKS T-51Rkai. etc.. if you plan on running one of these "race" set-ups a good tuner is essential as most of them require extensive EMS/Fuel upgrades to get the most out of them.

good luck
Steve



Originally posted by Sl0w7

steve... please post what you thought about each of those setups and compair them... i am looking for something that i can daily drive and have fun but still have a good time at the strip and run some good times...
-Keith
Poweraxel is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 01:58 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tampa
Posts: 282
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you so much for the speedy reply!!! but i think i should have asked the question differently... what would be a kit that would make good power for 1/4 mile and still not be a dog on the street??? and i realize that i will need supporting systems... i already am running a microtech and have a built motor and tranny so i am somewhat getting there... lol
-Keith
Sl0w7 is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 02:16 AM
  #7  
Rotary Enthusiast
10 Year Member
 
Poweraxel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In the Sky
Posts: 1,190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, what times would you consider good for the 1/4 mi? remember our cars weigh 2800lbs (FD as an example) 375-425 rwhp will get you mid to low 11's if you know how to drive your car correctly down the 1/4mi .... 60ft is everything..using that as an example the Apexi RX-6 or GT35/40 will get you there

but remember even if you put any of these kits on your car i highly suggest you finding someone with experience with your EMS/Fuel set-up to get you where you need


Originally posted by Sl0w7
thank you so much for the speedy reply!!! but i think i should have asked the question differently... what would be a kit that would make good power for 1/4 mile and still not be a dog on the street??? and i realize that i will need supporting systems... i already am running a microtech and have a built motor and tranny so i am somewhat getting there... lol
-Keith
Poweraxel is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 05:43 AM
  #8  
Rob
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,234
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting reply, seeing as how you have no idea what my goals are nor do you know anything about my car. I hope you didn't take offense to this objective question. I only ask this because the turbo seems very moderate both in power capability and spool up. Maybe that is why everyone loves it. It's a nice middleground between t3/t4 and T-88.

At what RPM are you 35/40 user reaching full boost?

What type of power are you making to the wheels?

Originally posted by Poweraxel
then your best bet is NOT to get a GT35/40 ..... you could be like everyone else a get a big turbo like a T78, T51R and wonder why you get smoked by a twin turbo or "small single turbo" car

as ive seem numerous times on this forum.. there seems to be more people with "big turbos" on there cars and they cant get over 400rwhp and complain there car is not fun to drive anymore.. .. theres a couple of owners here with a big turbo set-ups that run well but the ratio is overwhelming

this is talking out of experience as ive had the T78 (twice) HKS T51Rkai, Apexi RX-6, GT35/40, HKS T04R and i have to say since i drive/enjoy my car 99% on the street the smaller single turbos were definately better and funner for me.

theres many alternatives out there and you need to get the turbo thats right for YOU... some people here will tell you X turbo is better than Y turbo but they dont even have a single turbo set-up themselves (or one that even runs)!

do a search and you will see the guys who actually have experience with certain turbos


good luck,
Steve
wanklin is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 07:36 AM
  #9  
es
Senior Member
10 Year Member
 
es's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Jax, Fl.
Posts: 587
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve no longer has a GT3540.

I dyno'd mine 378 at 6900RPM. Boost was ~14-15PSI. I told the operator to rev it to 8300 but he didn't. The A/F was heading slightly lean wobbling between 12.5 & 12 so I guess I can't complain. Torque was 288, & when compared to the "405" HP plot posted in this section it looks like I'd have hit a good 420RWHP if the test was taken to the appropriate RPM. I will dyno again once the fuel system is done, & eventually I'll install H2o injection & try out some high boost.

Anyhow I'm pleased, & the car is still pretty much just thrown together. Very little tuning has been done, & I still haven't received my EGT gauge...

Just my experience.
Eric.
es is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 08:49 AM
  #10  
bow leggin'
iTrader: (25)
 
Scrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,058
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what are your thoughts on the T62-1 turbo? Sorry to pirate your thread.
Scrub is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 11:03 AM
  #11  
Banned. I got OWNED!!!
 
Resource's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 2,092
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My HKS T51R KAI is everything but boring on the street. Fast spool, great power and sounds sick. I dominate all twin/single cars in my area from a stop. No lag here.
Resource is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 02:49 PM
  #12  
All Motor
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Icemastr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 1,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard Nocab72 say he is getting like 20psi @ 3700rpm or something. Resource what RPM does your T51R KAI hit 15PSI? What would you prefer the T51R KAI or BSC Holset HX35 600HP kit.
Icemastr is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 04:50 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
 
93blackrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: in the garage
Posts: 595
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
resource: what kind of fuel mods are you running? I am about to go single. these twins are getting on my nerves. Just trying to find the best setup ---what exactly is your setup?
93blackrx is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 05:00 PM
  #14  
Banned. I got OWNED!!!
 
Resource's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 2,092
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I prefer the HKS turbo. I'm running two 1300cc injectors and 2 950cc injectors for now.
Resource is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 05:29 PM
  #15  
All Motor
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Icemastr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 1,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My motor is stock ports and probably going to be that way for a little while, I think its down to the KKK/HX35 and the T51R KAI for what I want to put in my car. Or building a custom kit with a Turbonetics or Innovative Turbo.
Icemastr is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 06:52 PM
  #16  
20B FD & 20B Cosmo
iTrader: (1)
 
paximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SLC
Posts: 845
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here's a post by nocab in the "turbo spool needs to be quicker" thread. its a few threads down if you want to read it. here's what he said:
trade me, mine spools too fast for the size of port I have on my motor... full boost (20psi) at 3700rpm, motor don't make no power till 4500 - 5000k. not sure if I have a good or bad problem yet... lol
k

so he has about 478 rwhp(i think) by 3700rpm. not to shabby of a kit in my eyes. thats why mines on the way to my shop
paximus is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 07:10 PM
  #17  
mjw
Rotary Enthusiast
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
mjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: LostAngeles
Posts: 1,033
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by paximus
here's a post by nocab in the "turbo spool needs to be quicker" thread. its a few threads down if you want to read it. here's what he said:
trade me, mine spools too fast for the size of port I have on my motor... full boost (20psi) at 3700rpm, motor don't make no power till 4500 - 5000k. not sure if I have a good or bad problem yet... lol
k

so he has about 478 rwhp(i think) by 3700rpm. not to shabby of a kit in my eyes. thats why mines on the way to my shop
Eh.. I don't think so.. there is no way he has 478 RWHP @ 3700rpm. Just because he is making 20psi there doesn't mean he is making the same power as he is @ 8000rpm. I have the 'puny' little HKS TO4E kit and my car behaves similar, very fast spool but you don't feel the rush in your seat until 4000.
mjw is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 07:45 PM
  #18  
Rob
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,234
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
resource, what do you consider "fast spool" and great power? Your setup sounds pretty sick. Congrats.

-Rob
wanklin is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 09:06 PM
  #19  
Missin' my FD
10 Year Member
 
pianoprodigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seminole, FL (Tampa Bay Area)
Posts: 1,757
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does a Turbonetics T66 compare to all of these others in size, spool time, max power, etc.? I haven't seen too many single turbo cars, so I'm not sure how to compare. I know my T66 is bigger than my friends T3/4 and definitely smaller than the GReddy T78. Other than that, how does it add up?
pianoprodigy is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 09:36 PM
  #20  
Mad Man

 
Carl Byck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Big Island Hawaii
Posts: 2,758
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no turbo expert, but the bigger turbos are moving a greater volume of air at a given boost, so more air, less heat, more power.............Right? I have learned to drive my 97 Supra within its powerband(4000-6700 rpm) It walks away from most any car. In a rotary you have another 1000 rpm(at least) to play with, that's plenty for me. As for 478rwhp at 3700 rpm, you can do that with a T66, and a 75 shot in a Supra, but NO WAY is he making that power at that RPM. In fact I'd say no way to 300rwhp at 3700 rpm..................PROVE ME WRONG respectfully submitted C Byck(the doubter)

BTW I did not start this one, but I did lie when I said I'd stay out of it
Carl Byck is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 09:37 PM
  #21  
Mad Man

 
Carl Byck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Big Island Hawaii
Posts: 2,758
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piano, how do you like your turbo? what AR/trim?
Carl Byck is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 09:40 PM
  #22  
Banned. I got OWNED!!!
 
Resource's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 2,092
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought that nocab dynoed at under 400 at the wheels............ I think Jason made a post about that.
Resource is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 09:41 PM
  #23  
Rob
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,234
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pianoprodigy I PM'd you
wanklin is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 09:42 PM
  #24  
Rob
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,234
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somebody should PM him (Nocab) and get the straight info.
wanklin is offline  
Old 08-06-03, 09:43 PM
  #25  
Banned. I got OWNED!!!
 
Resource's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 2,092
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by wanklin
resource, what do you consider "fast spool" and great power? Your setup sounds pretty sick. Congrats.

-Rob
I get 15 psi @ 4300 rpms. The power that my turbo gives out isn't gradual like a smaller gt35/40 or t04 turbo. It's either BOOM on or off. When it starts to boost, whatch out because it's going to instantly peg the boost gauge.
Resource is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gt35/40 What's the big deal?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.