Racing Kills Lounge The RX-7 Club and IB in no way supports or endorses illegal street racing in any way, shape or form, and highly recommends against any illegal activities.

996tt vs Cobalt SS

Old 02-05-11, 10:30 PM
  #1  
Full Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
st4rk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 50
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 996tt vs Cobalt SS

This is in the 996tt, so yeah, pretty awesome run.

I am at a left turn light in front. It is 30 degrees out and this beastly car has little bitch *** tires that can't get traction. There is a car behind me. As the light turns green I ease the german engineered slice of sex through the light. The car behind seems to be attracted to my rear end, perhaps it is the word "turbo" they are having fun reading on the back. They are following closely, I can almost see them mouth the words "omfg turbo sexiness". I smile at their choice of words and mash the throttle once the road straightens out. They foolishly try to keep up with my excellence.

The light ahead turns red: I view it as the bell ringing and school in session, because someone is about to get schooled....get it....oh yes. The bell rings and I take my seat in the middle lane (teachers seat), and the student stops next to me in the left lane. I roll down my window - his is already rolled down. I then remark "school is in session, pay attention". He looks at me with a "wtf?" face. I give the boxer6 a rev and say "there's only one grade you'll get for this lesson: a spanking". As I roll up my window and he mutters something like "whatever dude", and edges forward as if to intimidate me, bah!

The light turns green and I begin my lecture. Remember the aforementioned bitch *** tires? Yeah, they are complaining and whining through first, something about how I give them wayyy too much throttle in this cold scary weather, I aint paying them no attention, I never listen to them....never send no money.... some real bitter ish...

As I shift into second the student is being a little cocky, he is a car ahead. My tires settle down in second, they know who's boss and how I do. They quickly obey me and find traction. The student slowly turns into a parked vehicle as I fly by, midway through third they are become a perfectly disciplined student in the art of "destroyed". Aww yeah.

The next light is red and I roll down my window again. I throw out a thumbs down and say "you failed, go back to kindergarten". I then speed off.

Ahhh, fun times.


















































j/k. cliff notes - cold weather, poor traction, from a stop, cobalt ss ahead until 2nd, then car lengths behind in third once traction is gained. thumbs up were exchanged. fun was had.
st4rk is offline  
Old 02-05-11, 10:40 PM
  #2  
Banned. I got OWNED!!!
iTrader: (1)
 
yzf-r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 552
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your excellence?

I can't believe you are even boasting about running a Cobalt lol
yzf-r1 is offline  
Old 02-06-11, 11:47 AM
  #3  
Royale with cheese
10 Year Member
 
Tanjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Las Vegas, by way of Poulsbo, WA
Posts: 1,256
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was really hoping you ran into a monster Cobalt and he stomped you into the street.

No such luck.
Tanjo is offline  
Old 02-06-11, 01:48 PM
  #4  
On/DEFEAT
5 Year Member
 
rotaryPOWAH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 231
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe you'd admit to having a FWD econobox beat you off the line in your 50k porsche.

That doesn't sound like poor tires, that sounds like poor driving.
rotaryPOWAH is offline  
Old 02-06-11, 02:27 PM
  #5  
Ronald..
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
93rx74lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairfax/Manassas VA
Posts: 2,013
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1
I was just thinking "how the hell did it take you until 3rd gear to pull on a slowbalt?"
93rx74lyfe is offline  
Old 02-06-11, 03:15 PM
  #6  
Banned. I got OWNED!!!
iTrader: (1)
 
yzf-r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 552
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rotaryPOWAH View Post
I can't believe you'd admit to having a FWD econobox beat you off the line in your 50k porsche.
I have to believe you can find a 996 turbo in the mid 30s now, in good shape. They are well made cars, but the parts are extremely expensive and the car is a pita to work on

Imo, the 997 looks alot better, even though the cosmetic changes are subtle. I love the 997 GT3.
yzf-r1 is offline  
Old 02-08-11, 03:32 PM
  #7  
Full Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
st4rk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 50
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*sigh*
st4rk is offline  
Old 02-08-11, 07:14 PM
  #8  
disturbing the peace
iTrader: (3)
 
ineedfc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: sussex, wi
Posts: 357
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cocky sob aren't you?
ineedfc is offline  
Old 02-08-11, 08:13 PM
  #9  
White chicks > *
10 Year Member
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Secaucus, New Jersey
Posts: 13,150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ineedfc View Post
cocky sob aren't you?
He has every right.

He has 3 amazing cars. With the porsche being at the top
1QWIK7 is offline  
Old 02-08-11, 10:27 PM
  #10  
Banned. I got OWNED!!!
iTrader: (1)
 
yzf-r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 552
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's old school, not much to boast about. I can't stand arrogant ********* who pretend they have money.
yzf-r1 is offline  
Old 02-08-11, 11:14 PM
  #11  
Moderator
iTrader: (25)
 
Spirit-RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Janesville, WI
Posts: 2,922
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
*remembers that the 996's are the bastard-child 911's that were notorious for shitty build quality*

Thread can get deleted, nothing to do with a RX7.


Answer me this.... seriously: What are you compensating for in life?
Spirit-RE is offline  
Old 02-09-11, 02:08 PM
  #12  
disturbing the peace
iTrader: (3)
 
ineedfc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: sussex, wi
Posts: 357
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1QWIK7 View Post
He has every right.

He has 3 amazing cars. With the porsche being at the top
yeah but its a dickheaded type of cockiness. i would have loved for this story to have been him being a bag of dicks before hand just as he was and the cobalt to have stomped him because if it took until 3rd gear the cobalt wasn't that far behind in terms of power.
but then ******* op would probably have just blamed it on his tires entirely and possibly done a ricer flyby (sounds like that kind of guy), and found some stupid drunk ***** to go bang that is impressed by the porsche to boost his ego back up.
ineedfc is offline  
Old 02-09-11, 02:17 PM
  #13  
Banned. I got OWNED!!!
iTrader: (1)
 
yzf-r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 552
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That story would have never been posted here - who posts about defeat?

In defense of the 996tt, though, they can be monsters with a few mods - as in 600+ rwhp monsters - and they can handle those power levels alot better than an FD can (drivetrain strength)
yzf-r1 is offline  
Old 02-09-11, 02:23 PM
  #14  
Don't worry be happy...
iTrader: (1)
 
Montego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,449
Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by 1QWIK7 View Post
He has every right.

He has 3 amazing cars. With the porsche being at the top
A 996TT on top? please... Have you actually driven one? I have and I was NOT impressed... especially for the 160K they were asking.
Montego is offline  
Old 02-10-11, 02:27 PM
  #15  
Ronald..
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
93rx74lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairfax/Manassas VA
Posts: 2,013
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ineedfc View Post
yeah but its a dickheaded type of cockiness. i would have loved for this story to have been him being a bag of dicks before hand just as he was and the cobalt to have stomped him because if it took until 3rd gear the cobalt wasn't that far behind in terms of power.
but then ******* op would probably have just blamed it on his tires entirely and possibly done a ricer flyby (sounds like that kind of guy), and found some stupid drunk ***** to go bang that is impressed by the porsche to boost his ego back up.

Dead on!
93rx74lyfe is offline  
Old 02-10-11, 02:33 PM
  #16  
White chicks > *
10 Year Member
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Secaucus, New Jersey
Posts: 13,150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Montego View Post
A 996TT on top? please... Have you actually driven one? I have and I was NOT impressed... especially for the 160K they were asking.
Of course i've driven one. That's how I came to that conclusion. Same way you came up with yours.

But all opinions aside. How can you call our cars superior than a well engineered german car like a porsche? Were not even talking about a boxster. We're talking about a 996tt at that.

Even if some of the parts on that car was flawed, its the same scenario with the fd, but in a more less expensive version.
1QWIK7 is offline  
Old 02-10-11, 03:39 PM
  #17  
¿¿What are pistons??
iTrader: (7)
 
2RotorsNaDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 1,260
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1QWIK7 View Post
Of course i've driven one. That's how I came to that conclusion. Same way you came up with yours.

But all opinions aside. How can you call our cars superior than a well engineered german car like a porsche? Were not even talking about a boxster. We're talking about a 996tt at that.

Even if some of the parts on that car was flawed, its the same scenario with the fd, but in a more less expensive version.
Lots of guys on this forum got rid of their Porsche 996s and sold them to buy another FD. They're beautiful but not the top by any means.

Also a $15k FD, a $15k S2000, and a $35k Porsche doesnt give anyone the right to be that cocky unless they're in HS or something. 3/4 of the brand new Mercedes, BMWs, Lexus', Maseratis, etc that I see on the street everyday cost more than all 3 of those cars combined.
2RotorsNaDream is offline  
Old 02-10-11, 05:05 PM
  #18  
White chicks > *
10 Year Member
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Secaucus, New Jersey
Posts: 13,150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2RotorsNaDream View Post
Lots of guys on this forum got rid of their Porsche 996s and sold them to buy another FD. They're beautiful but not the top by any means.

Also a $15k FD, a $15k S2000, and a $35k Porsche doesnt give anyone the right to be that cocky unless they're in HS or something. 3/4 of the brand new Mercedes, BMWs, Lexus', Maseratis, etc that I see on the street everyday cost more than all 3 of those cars combined.

That doesnt mean anything though. You're comparing personal preference and opinion (which i made as well) to actual reality.

Yes an FD is beautiful, although i think bone stock FD's look kinda weird but you're going by opinion.

When you buy a porsche, you buy it for its heritage, its engineering, what the car can do, the modern technology, the craftsmanship.

Just because an FD might be able to beat a 996tt around a track by 1 second, doesnt make it superior. And that wouldnt be the case either. A stock FD and a stock 996tt, the porsche would take it.

The 996tt has that price tag for a reason. How some can belittle the car because of its flaws for its price is beyond me.

Yes the FD is A LOT cheaper but look at its flaws, for its price. The FD brand new wasnt exactly affordable at the time. Its like buying a 60k car now.

From a plastic ast, comlicated twin turbo system, plastic interior. I can go on.


So yes, from a non biased standpoint, its easy to see why the porsche would be "on top" amongst it, the FD and the s2k.

Just by what the car is. I have an FD so its not like im being biased.

I also find it funny how you guys are also mocking the OP. If anything, his story was more of being comedic rather than being a douchebag. Did he say anything about how expensive his car is and he beat a cheap *** chevy? No. He made his story for our entertainment.

I sense more jealousy rather than pure mockery in this thread.

People need to chillax sometimes and just have fun. Why does everyone take everything so seriously?
1QWIK7 is offline  
Old 02-11-11, 03:07 PM
  #19  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (80)
 
Supernaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 5,831
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Internet is SERIOUS BUSINESS!!
Supernaut is offline  
Old 02-11-11, 04:05 PM
  #20  
Don't worry be happy...
iTrader: (1)
 
Montego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,449
Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by 1QWIK7 View Post
How can you call our cars superior than a well engineered german car like a porsche?
The 911 type series has a major engineering flaw that they have finally surpassed after like 30 yrs . Note I never said it was superior all I said the 996 wasn’t on top.

Originally Posted by 1QWIK7 View Post
Just because an FD might be able to beat a 996tt around a track by 1 second, doesnt make it superior.
Just because it can, it automatically makes the 996 not superior.

Just to add some entertainment GT3 and a 300 WHP FD (yes about the same power as yours imagine that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJqILLdJ8sc

Originally Posted by 1QWIK7 View Post
The 996tt has that price tag for a reason.
The price tag is only because of the name, and impresses those that care about that kinda thing. I can care less. What I care is about performance and performance only. If I cared about the name I’d be driving something else.

Seriously I don’t feel like getting into a long debate so let’s automate this and have these guys argue it for us:

https://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-specific-1993-2002-16/does-500-rwhp-make-fd-more-enjoyable-drive-13b-only-928210/page11/



Seriously Rob you gotta take your FD on a track and beat the F out of it. It will amaze you on how well engineered this plain just a mazda really is.
Montego is offline  
Old 02-11-11, 07:39 PM
  #21  
White chicks > *
10 Year Member
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Secaucus, New Jersey
Posts: 13,150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Montego View Post
The 911 type series has a major engineering flaw that they have finally surpassed after like 30 yrs . Note I never said it was superior all I said the 996 wasn’t on top.
What was the major engineering flaw?

And i know you didnt mention anything about superior. I did. But you said the 996 wasnt on top compared to it, the FD and the s2k, correct?

Then i guess we'll have to fall back on opinion afterall.

I think the 996tt, stock vs stock, is superior to the FD and s2k. A lot of people would agree to that. I never said anything about a modified FD cant walk circles around the porsche or anything like that. Stock for stock, the 996tt ***** on the FD in almost every category. From build quality, interior quality, hp, torque, corner, etc.

Only thing that might hold a candle to it would be looks but even then thats subjective and opinionated. And like i said a bone stock FD with its 4x4 look and its skinny *** wheels and tires make it look weird.



Just because it can, it automatically makes the 996 not superior.

Just to add some entertainment GT3 and a 300 WHP FD (yes about the same power as yours imagine that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJqILLdJ8sc


While the ring is a great track, you posted a modified FD to a GT3. Which is not what we're talking about. The GT3 is not a 996tt. Im sure you know that. And we dont even know whats done to that FD in that video. Do we? Sure as hell doesnt sound stock to me.

And even then, the ring can be iffy because ANY idiot can drive on that ring and when you have slow pokes there, you cant do anything about it but TRY to get your best time in.

The price tag is only because of the name, and impresses those that care about that kinda thing. I can care less. What I care is about performance and performance only. If I cared about the name I’d be driving something else.

Seriously I don’t feel like getting into a long debate so let’s automate this and have these guys argue it for us:

https://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=928210&page=11



Seriously Rob you gotta take your FD on a track and beat the F out of it. It will amaze you on how well engineered this plain just a mazda really is.
I never said the 996tt was worth its price tag. I just said they price it like that for a reason. Why are ferrari's soo much? When an F430 can only run what? low 12s? Hey, there is another video on this forum of a 400rwhp FD beating (basically) an F430. Does that mean the FD is superior to it?? When the FD costs 10x less than the F430??

You saying you look for performance are the reason why there are many people who own porsches as well. Im not a track guru but im sure if you ask any regular track guy on this forum, they will tell you there are many porsches there. They buy their cars for the track too.

Sorry but when you say the porsche is not on top, thats a strong opinion. When i say it is, compared to the FD and the s2k, def sounds like opinion too but when you think about what the car actually is, has more truth and proof along those words.

And yes i will track my car this year. Still wont change my opinion on the porsche.
1QWIK7 is offline  
Old 02-11-11, 11:03 PM
  #22  
Banned. I got OWNED!!!
iTrader: (1)
 
yzf-r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 552
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2RotorsNaDream View Post
...a $15k FD, a $15k S2000, and a $35k Porsche doesnt give anyone the right to be that cocky unless they're in HS or something.
/thread
yzf-r1 is offline  
Old 02-12-11, 01:51 AM
  #23  
Don't worry be happy...
iTrader: (1)
 
Montego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,449
Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by 1QWIK7
....
I know its a GT3, I even said that and noted for entertainment purposes... Meaning Im not trying to prove anything as its for entertainment only. Also we know that fd is 300 rwhp (I also said that). btw the driver is a forum member his name is Bobfish.

Anyway: sir I kindly direct you to that other thread. Please feel free to roam that thread and find arguments that oppose your points

Edit- oh yeah some of you failed to realize that the op was JOKING. Read his last sentence for crying outloud.

Last edited by Montego; 02-12-11 at 02:01 AM.
Montego is offline  
Old 02-12-11, 05:20 PM
  #24  
White chicks > *
10 Year Member
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Secaucus, New Jersey
Posts: 13,150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Montego View Post
I know its a GT3, I even said that and noted for entertainment purposes... Meaning Im not trying to prove anything as its for entertainment only. Also we know that fd is 300 rwhp (I also said that). btw the driver is a forum member his name is Bobfish.

Anyway: sir I kindly direct you to that other thread. Please feel free to roam that thread and find arguments that oppose your points

Edit- oh yeah some of you failed to realize that the op was JOKING. Read his last sentence for crying outloud.
Understood.

So until we see a stock FD beating a stock 996tt in any real world category or on a track, then i rest my case.

Looks are subjective and opinionated so we'll leave that out. And a 996 is no ugly car.
1QWIK7 is offline  
Old 03-28-11, 08:56 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: London,ON
Posts: 565
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm assuming you don't know about the 4 years in a row that the FD won the 24hrs of Bathurst race? Stock FDs, with just upgraded tires and brakes, spanked porsche & BMW and everyone else. After the first year Porsche and BMW got all bent out of shape because they got owned by a mazda. So they brought out their "special model" M3s and 911s (M3 GT-R I believe and 911 RS CS), and guess what? They still got spanked . The only time mazda ran the SP RX-7 was in their final year, and of course they won that year too. Personally I'm not even a huge porsche fan, not that I have anything against them, they just don't tickle my fancy. I'm more interested in a pure sports car doing what it should do best, perform at the track, and the FD shines more than anything in that category for me. And even if you look at all the tuner battles going on, the FD is still on top in many cases, clearly mazda did something verrrry right.
Mazda RX-7 EFINI TYPE is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996tt vs Cobalt SS


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: