Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

water/meth injection nozzle location

Old 06-17-10, 12:28 AM
  #1  
Rotary Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
initial D is REAL!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 1,485
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water/meth injection nozzle location

I always thought the water/meth injection was always placed either in front of each port or a single nozzle in front of the throttle body.
My buddy said he is going water/meth injection on his car, and his tuner was going to place the nozzle near the turbo. He wasn't quiet sure, his car knowledge is limited. He said at the turbo near the air filter, or the hotpipe before the intercooler. Anyone heard of this? I was thinking most of the water would condense on the intercooler fins. Of course the air charge would be extra cool, but I learned about water injection when people were spraying directly to the engine.
initial D is REAL! is offline  
Old 06-17-10, 07:26 AM
  #2  
Mr. September FB 2011
5 Year Member
iTrader: (9)
 
nofords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 489
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many install it before the inercooler to increase the exhange of heat through the intercooler.

Idealy, you want it after the blades of the TB to allow the intake charge to better atomize the water/meth before it enters the combustion chambers.

Placing it before the turbo is a great way to atomize the mixture however it is an even better way to destroy the blades as the water will pit the turbo. DO NOT under any circumstances, do this.
nofords is offline  
Old 06-17-10, 08:33 AM
  #3  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (6)
 
Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nofords View Post
Many install it before the inercooler to increase the exhange of heat through the intercooler.

Idealy, you want it after the blades of the TB to allow the intake charge to better atomize the water/meth before it enters the combustion chambers.

Placing it before the turbo is a great way to atomize the mixture however it is an even better way to destroy the blades as the water will pit the turbo. DO NOT under any circumstances, do this.


Many people have had great success running pre-turbo water injection. Do your research and you will find out more than you need to know. I dont agree with "nofords, DO NOT do it theory". But to each his own. Go to the auxiliary injection forum and read, read, read!
Islander is offline  
Old 06-17-10, 11:04 AM
  #4  
Rotary Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
initial D is REAL!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 1,485
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so I'm wondering about the atomization of preturbo injection then.
initial D is REAL! is offline  
Old 06-17-10, 03:09 PM
  #5  
Mr. September FB 2011
5 Year Member
iTrader: (9)
 
nofords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 489
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps others have.

Knowing lots of S/C and Turbo cars that have pre-compressor injection with detrimental results.

In s/c cars for example, it removes the teflon off the blades because of the bursting water droplets when they hit the screw tips. In a turbo, the same is true except there is no "protective coating."

Do what you want, I personally spray post turbo on another car I own with years of success. (also using the cheaper blue windshield washer fluid mix on this car!) Others have known to get 6mos out of a turbo before the induction housing shows signs similar to prop cavitation pitting.

As already stated...read read read!

Good Luck!
nofords is offline  
Old 06-20-10, 11:13 PM
  #6  
Canned. I got CORNED!
5 Year Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 1,029
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any issues spraying before the IAT? My haltech IAT has an exposed element and looks fragile.
The Shaolin is offline  
Old 06-26-10, 10:35 PM
  #7  
Mr. September FB 2011
5 Year Member
iTrader: (9)
 
nofords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 489
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Shaolin View Post
Any issues spraying before the IAT? My haltech IAT has an exposed element and looks fragile.
I would imagine that it is not a good idea to mist an open element IAT
nofords is offline  
Old 07-02-10, 01:59 PM
  #8  
17,600 hp everyday!
5 Year Member
iTrader: (3)
 
phantom works's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 331
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nozzle location

I tapped my nozzle right before the Throttle body into my GReddy elbow. I have experienced no problems with this location and I track my car as well.
phantom works is offline  
Old 07-02-10, 02:11 PM
  #9  
No more G6
10 Year Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Force13B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nipomo, California
Posts: 1,935
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you check out dudemaaan's thread over at RCC it goes into a lot of detail about preturbo mechanical water injection. I don't think i'd want to spray 100% meth preturbo something about compressing a very flammable fuel doesn't sound right.
Force13B is offline  
Old 07-02-10, 02:17 PM
  #10  
No more G6
10 Year Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Force13B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nipomo, California
Posts: 1,935
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nofords View Post
Placing it before the turbo is a great way to atomize the mixture however it is an even better way to destroy the blades as the water will pit the turbo. DO NOT under any circumstances, do this.
sure
http://www.wannaspeed.com/index.php?...roducts_id=181
Force13B is offline  
Old 07-05-10, 11:01 AM
  #11  
10 lb. boost, 5lb. bag
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Gene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,076
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen this argument before, and I come down on the side of "don't put it in front of the turbo because of pitting the blades." I remembered that I have a copy of Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, which I haven't read in forever, so I cracked it open to see what he has to say:

"The water injector is not a very interesting device. It has little place in a properly conceived turbo system. Two circumstances are viable for a water injector: a 1970 home-built Vega turbo with a draw-through carb, or a Roots supercharger sitting between a huge engine and two huger (really big) carburetors. To stake the margin of safety of a turbocharged engine on an inherently unreliable device is an idea whose time has long since passed. RIP."

"Rule: A water injector on a turbo car is a poor-excuse band-aid for not doing the job correctly the first time."

"Don't be too hasty to create a margin of safety on detonation based on an unreliable device. Water injection is best used when boost levels over 6 PSI are desired but no intercooler is present. Do not allow a situation to exist where the water injector is used as an excuse for improper air/fuel ratios. All things considered, you would be far ahead never to have heard of a water injector."

So there's that to consider. His stance makes great sense from a race car engineering standpoint. On a race car you want to eliminate anything that has the potential to break and cause you a DNF that you can get away with. If your setup is configured such that losing the water system would blow you up, you probably shouldn't be using it.
Gene is offline  
Old 07-05-10, 07:34 PM
  #12  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: England
Posts: 208
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I've seen this argument before, and I come down on the side of "don't put it in front of the turbo because of pitting the blades." I remembered that I have a copy of Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, which I haven't read in forever, so I cracked it open to see what he has to say:

"The water injector is not a very interesting device. It has little place in a properly conceived turbo system. Two circumstances are viable for a water injector: a 1970 home-built Vega turbo with a draw-through carb, or a Roots supercharger sitting between a huge engine and two huger (really big) carburetors. To stake the margin of safety of a turbocharged engine on an inherently unreliable device is an idea whose time has long since passed. RIP."

"Rule: A water injector on a turbo car is a poor-excuse band-aid for not doing the job correctly the first time."

"Don't be too hasty to create a margin of safety on detonation based on an unreliable device. Water injection is best used when boost levels over 6 PSI are desired but no intercooler is present. Do not allow a situation to exist where the water injector is used as an excuse for improper air/fuel ratios. All things considered, you would be far ahead never to have heard of a water injector."

So there's that to consider. His stance makes great sense from a race car engineering standpoint. On a race car you want to eliminate anything that has the potential to break and cause you a DNF that you can get away with. If your setup is configured such that losing the water system would blow you up, you probably shouldn't be using it.
what!!!

so your saying that noone should run more than 1bar of boost on the street because a book told you not to.

because i dont know of that many people running 1.2bar+ on pump fuel with no water injection, i know i wouldnt want to.

corky talks about piston engines in which case he is mostly right, but for rotary engines you need that bandaid if you want to run decent boost on pump fuel
turbotoaster is offline  
Old 07-06-10, 01:16 PM
  #13  
10 lb. boost, 5lb. bag
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Gene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,076
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, not just any book.

This is the racing section, so I'm talking from a racing standpoint. Adding another system that will blow your motor if something goes wrong is bad mojo.
Gene is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Jeff20B
1st Generation Specific (1979-1985)
73
09-16-18 07:16 PM
msilvia
3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002)
15
09-11-15 12:13 PM
Blk 93
3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002)
11
09-09-15 10:56 AM
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
5
09-03-15 07:10 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: water/meth injection nozzle location


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: