My autocross FD SM2 build up - RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum

Go Back  RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum > Tech and Performance > Race Car Tech
Reload this Page >

My autocross FD SM2 build up

Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

My autocross FD SM2 build up

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-27-08, 11:30 PM
  #1  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My autocross FD SM2 build up

I thought I would share with the forums my conversion from running SCCA Solo ASP to SM2.

https://www.rx7club.com/*******************************/showthread.php?t=243


It is a work in progress that will be updated as I have time.

Thanks,
Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 12:21 AM
  #2  
Mr. Links
15 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Mahjik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 27,592
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice engine choices.
Mahjik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 10:04 AM
  #3  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Very nice engine choices.
Thanks, it is different than what most would build and I received a lot of "what the hell are you thinking" comments when I shared my thoughts. Only two people seemed to understand what I was really after, Ari from RP and Rob from Pineapple. Both were very supportive during my research phase of the build.

I should also thank Erik (streldoc) and Andy (Amrx7) for all the information they have shared with me on the setup of their cars. You won’t find two nicer people in the RX7 community.

Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 02:13 PM
  #4  
Searching for 10th's
iTrader: (11)
 
jkstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 2,177
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
Thanks, it is different than what most would build and I received a lot of "what the hell are you thinking" comments when I shared my thoughts. Only two people seemed to understand what I was really after, Ari from RP and Rob from Pineapple. Both were very supportive during my research phase of the build.

I should also thank Erik (streldoc) and Andy (Amrx7) for all the information they have shared with me on the setup of their cars. You won’t find two nicer people in the RX7 community.

Dan
Interesting engine work.

Regarding the porting, I had my engine rebuilt by Rob as well, with the exact same goals in mind - low end torque and spooling up the turbo as soon as possible.

Though my car is still 'under construction' and hasn't been raced yet with the new engine, the low end torque is surprisingly good. With 6-8 lbs of boost during break in I was seeing full boost on the turbo (TO4S .82 AR hotside) by 5k RPM.

I didn't go as far with the motor mods as you have though, it is still using all FD internals.

I did go for some other mods though, heavy duty coolant seals, and oil passage mods.

Can't wait to race it!
jkstill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 02:43 PM
  #5  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jkstill View Post
Interesting engine work.

Regarding the porting, I had my engine rebuilt by Rob as well, with the exact same goals in mind - low end torque and spooling up the turbo as soon as possible.

Though my car is still 'under construction' and hasn't been raced yet with the new engine, the low end torque is surprisingly good. With 6-8 lbs of boost during break in I was seeing full boost on the turbo (TO4S .82 AR hotside) by 5k RPM.

I didn't go as far with the motor mods as you have though, it is still using all FD internals.

I did go for some other mods though, heavy duty coolant seals, and oil passage mods.

Can't wait to race it!
I guess I should have been clearer; I'm doing the porting and building of the motor. The only thing I didn't do is the balancing.

Rob was asking me for help finding a IDA down draft manifold and some how we got in a discussion about porting. That is when I bounced my build ideas off him and he offered his suggestions. I got a pretty good laugh when he told me to "Think like air" but I understood what he meant.

I'm with you, can't wait to get my car back together and hit the races.

Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 03:38 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Jose
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dan, I think you've made some very good choices and the car should be a rocket off the corner. It will be interesting to see a full torque turve all the way to redline with the 99 specs. However, I do love the simplicity of my single setup from a strictly maintenance point of view.

One note, you mentioned alot of use of 99 parts. I'd be careful that those are allowable mods covered by SM rules since you can't update/backdate to them legally. I think everything you listed was fine, but not sure about the bumper support.

-Andy
AMRX7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 10:08 AM
  #7  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AMRX7 View Post
Dan, I think you've made some very good choices and the car should be a rocket off the corner. It will be interesting to see a full torque turve all the way to redline with the 99 specs. However, I do love the simplicity of my single setup from a strictly maintenance point of view.

One note, you mentioned alot of use of 99 parts. I'd be careful that those are allowable mods covered by SM rules since you can't update/backdate to them legally. I think everything you listed was fine, but not sure about the bumper support.

-Andy
Hey Andy,
Thanks for kind words.

I think I could make an argument under section P that the rebar is to facilitate an allowed change as it is the lower attachment point of the bumper and does not weigh less than the stock rebar. Functionally it servers the same purpose and is not an intrinsic performance enhancement. What do you think?

One part I can't find a rule on is side skirts, are they allowed?

Thanks,
Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 07:03 PM
  #8  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Updated the original link with pictures of the porting, tire fitment, gauges and carputer. Also wrote a little bit about the porting.

Thanks,
Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 08:24 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
15 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
finky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 722
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks good Dan.
SM2 should be fun. I am always up in the air about SM2 or ASP. I just jump back and forth at the moment since I am not even fully prepped to ASP rules. If I want to race more people and have fun=SM2 and if I want to chase pax=ASP.
I am with you on wanting to change some body parts but can't under SP rule set. I have always wanted to put the hood vents from a Jaguar XKR Supercharged into an FD hood but can't unless I want 2 hoods to still race in ASP.
Having the 4.77s should just dig you out of the corners (another reason to go SM2). I have been wanting to try and find some 15X10s or 10.5s with the 275/35 hoosiers that could fit over the FD suspension just to fix the gearing problem in ASP.
While the engine issue is being discussed and Andy is reading this... Are the Racing Beat aluminum engine plates an SM2 legal mod? My guess is no and there is no way I would spend the money but bench racing is always fun. With the season about to start again you can tell I have crazy ideas bouncing around my head.

I have and will be keeping an eye on your results. Hopefully I can race you at a GASS event or some other event between our regions. I am doing the baby thing at the moment so I have not hit as many events lately.

Also +1 on thanking Erik and Andy. They help out a lot. Without Andy I would have had a hard time getting through tech at my first Nationals at Forbes.

Jeff

Last edited by finky; 03-02-08 at 08:34 PM.
finky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 10:28 PM
  #10  
Defined Autoworks
iTrader: (6)
 
FDWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 675
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helpfull thread.
FDWarrior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 01:46 AM
  #11  
cp1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 237
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very cool
cp1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 11:47 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Jose
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
Hey Andy,
Thanks for kind words.

I think I could make an argument under section P that the rebar is to facilitate an allowed change as it is the lower attachment point of the bumper and does not weigh less than the stock rebar. Functionally it servers the same purpose and is not an intrinsic performance enhancement. What do you think?

One part I can't find a rule on is side skirts, are they allowed?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan,

The next paragraph of P gives you more examples of the modification of parts for the allowable mod. It doesn't suggest replacement of parts not already covered elsewhere in the rules. From a strict interpretation, I'd think you'd be better off modifying the stock reinforcement (we're talking about the big yellow fiberglass piece,right?) to work with your front end, even if it means hacking it up.

That said, if the weight is the same I don't think anyone will give you grief. We have enough issues with participation without driving people away over nit picky stuff.

-Andy
AMRX7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 01:57 PM
  #13  
Rotor Head Extreme
iTrader: (8)
 
t-von's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Midland Texas
Posts: 6,689
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I love the fact that your using the 9.7 compression rotors for improved throttle response. Are you going to run the twins seq? I've always been curious as to how much faster the twins would spool with higher compression rotors.
t-von is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 02:37 PM
  #14  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t-von View Post
I love the fact that your using the 9.7 compression rotors for improved throttle response. Are you going to run the twins seq? I've always been curious as to how much faster the twins would spool with higher compression rotors.

Yes, 99 twins to start with, may move to a single if I don't meet my HP expectations.


Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 02:43 PM
  #15  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AMRX7 View Post
Dan,

The next paragraph of P gives you more examples of the modification of parts for the allowable mod. It doesn't suggest replacement of parts not already covered elsewhere in the rules. From a strict interpretation, I'd think you'd be better off modifying the stock reinforcement (we're talking about the big yellow fiberglass piece,right?) to work with your front end, even if it means hacking it up.

That said, if the weight is the same I don't think anyone will give you grief. We have enough issues with participation without driving people away over nit picky stuff.

-Andy
Yes, mine is not yellow it is black but I have seen them yellow. Hacking up the stock one would make it lighter than the replacement. hmmm... maybe I can unbolt the lower loop and attach it to the oem and save a few pounds.

Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:20 AM
  #16  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Updated write up to include links to parts used in build up.

Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:38 AM
  #17  
needs more track time
iTrader: (14)
 
gracer7-rx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 7,780
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
fwiw, i just bought another used bumper reinforcement to replaced my original one that had been cut up to fit a FMIC. My original one was black/greyish. The other one is yellowish.
gracer7-rx7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:47 AM
  #18  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gracer7-rx7 View Post
fwiw, i just bought another used bumper reinforcement to replaced my original one that had been cut up to fit a FMIC. My original one was black/greyish. The other one is yellowish.
Yeah, same color here, but I have seen the yellow one on some cars. The 99 is white ABS plastic with a black lower hoop.

Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 03:18 PM
  #19  
FD / LSX
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: wawayanda, NY
Posts: 1,359
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I raced with SCCA, I'd be in XP.
Do you know if at last nationals the SM2 guys (Andy and Erik) beat the XP times?
2MCHPWR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 03:29 PM
  #20  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR View Post
If I raced with SCCA, I'd be in XP.
Do you know if at last nationals the SM2 guys (Andy and Erik) beat the XP times?
SM2 was the only heat that ran in the rain on the first day so overall they didn't beat XP times. If you look at just second day results, yes SM2 was faster than XP by close to 1 second.

Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 07:16 PM
  #21  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Added a couple pictures of the rear wing being installed.


Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 09:14 AM
  #22  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posted some information on using RX8 internals in a 13b-rew here:

https://www.rx7club.com/*******************************/showthread.php?t=847

Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 07:02 PM
  #23  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Updated the thread with pictures of the engine being built.

https://www.rx7club.com/*******************************/showthread.php?t=243

Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 07:12 PM
  #24  
just dont care.
iTrader: (6)
 
jacobcartmill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 9,386
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
unfortunately it wont let me view your rotaryclub thread without having a membership
jacobcartmill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 03:11 PM
  #25  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Updated the thread with pictures of the completed engine and a list of mods required to use the Xcessive LIM with stock or 99 twins.

Dan
Chadwick is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My autocross FD SM2 build up


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: