Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

Hyperfest June 15-17 NASA Mid Atlantic

Old 05-09-12, 10:19 AM
  #1  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hyperfest June 15-17 NASA Mid Atlantic

Hey folks,
Just wanted to let you guys know that registration is open for this event. Time Trial is for Sunday only, so it may be a little easier on us Instructors. NASA does a good
job with this event and there is plenty for spectators to do. Would be great to have
a bunch of FD's running the Main Course with me. https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1463

"Stick it in there"...Fritz Flynn

P.S. Open Track/ Test and Tune Friday for $225.00. Racers and advanced drivers only!
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 05-09-12, 01:58 PM
  #2  
All out Track Freak!
iTrader: (261)
 
Fritz Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Charlottesville VA 22901
Posts: 10,313
Received 106 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave McLaughlin View Post
Hey folks,
Just wanted to let you guys know that registration is open for this event. Time Trial is for Sunday only, so it may be a little easier on us Instructors. NASA does a good
job with this event and there is plenty for spectators to do. Would be great to have
a bunch of FD's running the Main Course with me. https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1463

"Stick it in there"...Fritz Flynn

P.S. Open Track/ Test and Tune Friday for $225.00. Racers and advanced drivers only!
I'm considering this one for sure but it's so damn pricey (membership, TT license, Instructor membership, fee to run TT even when instructing yada yada effing yada) running with NASA and then there's the roll of red tape that keeps getting THICKER AND THICKER
Fritz Flynn is offline  
Old 05-09-12, 02:07 PM
  #3  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn View Post
I'm considering this one for sure but it's so damn pricey (membership, TT license, Instructor membership, fee to run TT even when instructing yada yada effing yada) running with NASA and then there's the roll of red tape that keeps getting THICKER AND THICKER
Dang Fritz...I thought you were already a member and a Time Trialer. You'll save money on GAS!
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 05-10-12, 10:47 AM
  #4  
All out Track Freak!
iTrader: (261)
 
Fritz Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Charlottesville VA 22901
Posts: 10,313
Received 106 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave McLaughlin View Post
Dang Fritz...I thought you were already a member and a Time Trialer. You'll save money on GAS!
VIR and Summit are the exact same distance for me so I'm not really saving on gas however don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of NASA and I'm seriously considering this event but running with NASA is a PIA versus every other club I drive with so it's always a little harder to get motivated.
Fritz Flynn is offline  
Old 05-10-12, 11:35 AM
  #5  
Sua Sponte
15 Year Member
iTrader: (31)
 
Brent Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Savannah
Posts: 3,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always wanted to hit Hyperfest. It seems to be the big blow out event for NASA-MA. The NASA-SE Road Atlanta event is the same weekend. I was signed up for it, but had to cancel as I'm not getting as much time off as I wanted. Going to be a light track year but such is life. NASA national office threw a wrench into my plans so I probably won't be hitting many events with them until I do some major changes to my car or get a waiver. It sucks because NASA-MA and NASA-SE are two of my favorite organizations!
Brent Dalton is offline  
Old 05-10-12, 08:41 PM
  #6  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent Dalton View Post
I've always wanted to hit Hyperfest. It seems to be the big blow out event for NASA-MA. The NASA-SE Road Atlanta event is the same weekend. I was signed up for it, but had to cancel as I'm not getting as much time off as I wanted. Going to be a light track year but such is life. NASA national office threw a wrench into my plans so I probably won't be hitting many events with them until I do some major changes to my car or get a waiver. It sucks because NASA-MA and NASA-SE are two of my favorite organizations!
Is it a classing thing they're jerking you on? It seems FD's have been "thrown under the bus" with a lot of groups.

Fritz, I guess it is about the distance for you. Hard to drive the same distance and be at 1/2 the track. It would still be hoot. P.S. Still feckin with the boost problem. Gettin
sketchy for VIR. I will get it damnit.

Cheers!
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 05-11-12, 10:39 AM
  #7  
Sua Sponte
15 Year Member
iTrader: (31)
 
Brent Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Savannah
Posts: 3,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kind of a classing thing. The FD in pure form(with rotary) isn't a problem in class. However, it's not the front runner normally as torque is open and not regulated. Unfortunately, we know the rotary is torque challenged.

Put the V8 in the car with any of the aftermarket subframes and you are no longer legal. You can run TTU, if you keep your power to weight at TTS level(330hp compared to 500hp). You can hack up the stock subframe and make it unsafe/structurally unsound to stay in TTS/ST2... and that is ok. Makes sense, right?

To be fair though, it is not just the RX7. Corvettes, Beamers, etc... are all running into issues now.
Brent Dalton is offline  
Old 05-12-12, 08:20 AM
  #8  
All out Track Freak!
iTrader: (261)
 
Fritz Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Charlottesville VA 22901
Posts: 10,313
Received 106 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent Dalton View Post
Kind of a classing thing. The FD in pure form(with rotary) isn't a problem in class. However, it's not the front runner normally as torque is open and not regulated. Unfortunately, we know the rotary is torque challenged.

Put the V8 in the car with any of the aftermarket subframes and you are no longer legal. You can run TTU, if you keep your power to weight at TTS level(330hp compared to 500hp). You can hack up the stock subframe and make it unsafe/structurally unsound to stay in TTS/ST2... and that is ok. Makes sense, right?

To be fair though, it is not just the RX7. Corvettes, Beamers, etc... are all running into issues now.
Soon everyone who's serious about TTs will be in GTRs but I'll still be in my 20 year old FD biting at their heals once or twice a year LOL. Check out the OLOA Leh again is dominating in his GTR but there are 4 in the top 10 lol.

PS I'll probably run TTU if I do the June summit event because nobody is driving in TTS this year. However I won't have a chance, Gil ran a 1.15 and Phillip ran a 1.13 which is WAY faster than SPO cars etc... Wallys best is a 1.16, my best is a 1.17. I refuse to turn the boost up because of the transmission issues.

I bought a gear set but returned it because it didn't have a lower 5th which is a pretty important gear for a kit that cost 3k plus. Was told repeatedly from the seller that the 5th would be there BOTTOMLINE: the 13b with it's current driveline is good for 350 rwhp and no more. When I put in the 4.3 rear diff the bearing on the diff in my car was completely shot you could move the pinion all over the place so I picked the right time to upgrade to the 4.3 LOL.

When the current trans dies I'll probably get a giken 3rd gear set and hope that fixes the problem. My car is really basic so there are lots and lots of things I could do to make it competitive in TTU even at 340 or 50 rwhp.
Fritz Flynn is offline  
Old 05-12-12, 08:45 AM
  #9  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn View Post
Soon everyone who's serious about TTs will be in GTRs but I'll still be in my 20 year old FD biting at their heals once or twice a year LOL. Check out the OLOA Leh again is dominating in his GTR but there are 4 in the top 10 lol.

PS I'll probably run TTU if I do the June summit event because nobody is driving in TTS this year. However I won't have a chance, Gil ran a 1.15 and Phillip ran a 1.13 which is WAY faster than SPO cars etc... Wallys best is a 1.16, my best is a 1.17. I refuse to turn the boost up because of the transmission issues.

I bought a gear set but returned it because it didn't have a lower 5th which is a pretty important gear for a kit that cost 3k plus. Was told repeatedly from the seller that the 5th would be there BOTTOMLINE: the 13b with it's current driveline is good for 350 rwhp and no more. When I put in the 4.3 rear diff the bearing on the diff in my car was completely shot you could move the pinion all over the place so I picked the right time to upgrade to the 4.3 LOL.

When the current trans dies I'll probably get a giken 3rd gear set and hope that fixes the problem. My car is really basic so there are lots and lots of things I could do to make it competitive in TTU even at 340 or 50 rwhp.
If I could get to the 350 RWHP range; I would be a happy man. I'm still feckin
with my boost problem. Ordered and received the rack solenoid kit from the forum. Going to install today. Hope this does it. Fritz, I assume you got your $
ok? Paypal is now up and running. I may need the Pre Control actuator and the
Wastegate Control actuator? Will pm you if I do.

If I could get to 350 RWHP I would go to TTU as well; if for no other reason but to make sure you guys a least win some Hoosiers. Gil Smith is from my area; he is a fast dude. I was amazed @ his lap times @ VIR as well.
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 05-12-12, 08:59 AM
  #10  
All out Track Freak!
iTrader: (261)
 
Fritz Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Charlottesville VA 22901
Posts: 10,313
Received 106 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave McLaughlin View Post
If I could get to the 350 RWHP range; I would be a happy man. I'm still feckin
with my boost problem. Ordered and received the rack solenoid kit from the forum. Going to install today. Hope this does it. Fritz, I assume you got your $
ok? Paypal is now up and running. I may need the Pre Control actuator and the
Wastegate Control actuator? Will pm you if I do.

If I could get to 350 RWHP I would go to TTU as well; if for no other reason but to make sure you guys a least win some Hoosiers. Gil Smith is from my area; he is a fast dude. I was amazed @ his lap times @ VIR as well.
Sounds good If someone has a bad day I might come in 3rd which is good for 1 tire if enough people drive.

Yep Gil is no Joke and he's getting FASTER AND FASTER.

Yep received the payment and if you need anything else let me know. Hopefully the aftermarket solenoids will be the ticket If you can't get the boost sorted before the VIR event just bring a box full of parts and one of us will surely get you fixed up.
Fritz Flynn is offline  
Old 05-12-12, 10:27 AM
  #11  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn View Post
Sounds good If someone has a bad day I might come in 3rd which is good for 1 tire if enough people drive.

Yep Gil is no Joke and he's getting FASTER AND FASTER.

Yep received the payment and if you need anything else let me know. Hopefully the aftermarket solenoids will be the ticket If you can't get the boost sorted before the VIR event just bring a box full of parts and one of us will surely get you fixed up.
Hope it doesn't come to that; but that's great to know I have some support.
Chris Rogers has been helping me with it. Very knowledgeable fellow. Cheers!
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 03:18 PM
  #12  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took car to PF Supercars. Ray Wilson is "Da Man". Trying to post up Dyno sheet. I'm computer challenged. I'm definitely gonna have to move up to TTU.
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 03:20 PM
  #13  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 06-03-12, 09:00 AM
  #14  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Well I started this thread, so I need to update. I had to withdraw from this event due to busy season. Anyone heading to the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area
of Virginia are more than welcome to stay with us @ Irish Isle B&B IrishIsle.com.
I'll cut any forum member a discount and offer up a "Slice" of good cheer in the evening if your so inclined.

Cheers!
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Old 06-03-12, 09:05 AM
  #15  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave McLaughlin View Post
Well I started this thread, so I need to update. I had to withdraw from this event due to busy season. Anyone heading to the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area
of Virginia are more than welcome to stay with us @ Irish Isle B&B IrishIsle.com.
I'll cut any forum member a discount and offer up a "Slice" of good cheer in the evening if your so inclined.

Cheers!
http://irishisle.com/
Dave McLaughlin is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
joel(PA)
Group Buy & Product Dev. FD RX-7
8
10-04-15 06:07 PM
ls1swap
3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002)
12
10-01-15 07:58 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hyperfest June 15-17 NASA Mid Atlantic


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: