Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

How Can I Begin?

Old 03-07-03, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
MazdaRx7Racer4Life's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 86
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Can I Begin?

OK, lets face it, im a 16 year old high school student with a good job, a nice black 5spd fc, good solid na engine, single 3.5 inch exhaust, headers, intake. The works. I want to go into road racing or auto x, i don't know if with my age they will allow me, but i want to go to someplace where they (or you) can teach me. I live in south fl. and would love a list of auto x and road racing events down here and would also love a list of tracks where i can go down here. I want to learn to drift, ake hairpin curves, how to really DRIVE, and they say its best to start young, so im the youngest i can LEGALLY be behind the wheel and ive been doing powerslides (minor ones) burnouts, and im one of the best shifters in hialeah (a division of miami) all that ive accomplished as 16, I have the determination, i just need instruction. Talk to me guys, what do i need?
MazdaRx7Racer4Life is offline  
Old 03-07-03, 10:33 PM
Has been.. hangin' around
10 Year Member
Silkworm's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 2,618
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Look into go-karts. An 80cc shifter cart is very very very fast, and from what I can see, lots of fun. Many successful road racers started in go-karts.

2. for auto-x, I'm pretty sure 16 is ok with parental consent. Take a gander here: http://www.sedivracing.org/SEDIVRegions.html and look for an SCCA region near you. I have no idea where Miami is in Florida (grin) so I'll let you find it. Look for the Solo 2 sections of your local region and look for an event close to you. Look for a contact person for Solo2, and hit them with an e-mail, explain what you want to do, and ask them for assistance, they'll be happy to tell you what you need to do. Realistically, you'll probably need to join the SCCA (~55 bucks) and an entry fee (15-25$) for the event. You'll need a car in good shape (nothing falling off, battery tied down good, and a helmet (typically you can borrow one at most events).

When you get there, look up other RX-7 drivers, mention you're new and learning the ropes, some may be willing to help, some may not. Hell, someone here may be in your area and help you out.

Start with Auto-x.. Do that for a little while, then come talk about road racing, that's a whole different game, and one that is going to cost some bucks to get into. Open tracking your car is cheaper, but try your hand at auto-x first.


Silkworm is offline  
Old 03-08-03, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
MazdaRx7Racer4Life's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 86
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright, i on it, what about open track racing? what can you tell me about that? I am emaling them as we speak and saying what you told me about solo2. thanks for your help, i really appreciate it, and hopefully we'll be seing eachother soon at the tracks.
MazdaRx7Racer4Life is offline  
Old 03-09-03, 05:43 PM
OEM Parts Hoarder
iTrader: (11)
JerryLH3's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,393
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you're going to start out autocrossing for a few years with SCCA, buy a "Speed Freakz" membership instead of a regular one. It's considerably less, about $30. You do not have the ability to hold a Club Racing, PRO Rally, or Solo I license. But you can still do Solo II events.

There's also a competition Speed Freakz membership which does give you the ability to hold those licenses.

The only catch is you have to be under age 26. The SCCA came up with a good way to get the younger generation involved.

My advice would be to autocross for a year or two. You'll learn so much. After that, try your hand at a couple of track days. Chin Motorsports and Performance Drivers Club hold events all over. There's lots of tracks that you'll have access to here in Florida - Sebring, Homestead, Moroso, etc.

Most of all, have fun.
JerryLH3 is offline  
Old 03-09-03, 09:13 PM
Rotary Enthusiast
5 Year Member
specRX7_22's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 1,014
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if 16 is the legal driving age in your state, then it is the legal SCCA road racing age, i believe. ?
specRX7_22 is offline  
Old 03-10-03, 11:14 AM
Ex fd *****
10 Year Member
maxpesce's Avatar
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ventura CA USA
Posts: 1,782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if 16 is the legal DRIVING age you will have to sign a Wavier of Liability and MOST states require you to be at least 18 before you can do so. (it's considered a Legal Contract)
maxpesce is offline  
Old 03-11-03, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
ttpowerd's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Marietta GA
Posts: 1,858
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm...I want to start in Autox this year as well, I am 21. I think I will be doing it for several years till I can get some more money for road racing. What all do I need to do? Is there a webpage for all this information and sign-ups?
Thanks a ton!
ttpowerd is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002)
10-28-15 10:57 AM
V-8 Powered RX-7's
09-25-15 04:34 PM
Introduce yourself
09-18-15 12:34 AM
New Member RX-7 Technical
09-15-15 04:55 PM
NE RX-7 Forum
09-10-15 07:35 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Can I Begin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: