Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

competitive TII auto-xer possible?

Old 11-24-02, 02:10 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
787B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 445
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
competitive TII auto-xer possible?

what class(es) does the TII run in? And is it possible to make it very competitive?
787B is offline  
Old 11-24-02, 03:47 PM
  #2  
Car>woman
10 Year Member
 
3isacharm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 967
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.scca.org they'll have guidelines about performance mods and what class you'd run. as far as being competetive, that's more you than the car. sticky tires, good suspension, and lots of practice.
3isacharm is offline  
Old 11-25-02, 09:51 AM
  #3  
trying to build a racecar
 
Travis R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx.
Posts: 579
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure! Ever heard of Steve O'Blenes? He's won (destroyed is a better term) B-Prepared two years in a row at Nationals with a TII.
Other wise I think the car would go to ASP with the FD, but I could be wrong. Not sure how competitive it would be there.
Good luck

Travis
Travis R is offline  
Old 11-25-02, 07:42 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
787B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 445
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Travis R
Sure! Ever heard of Steve O'Blenes? He's won (destroyed is a better term) B-Prepared two years in a row at Nationals with a TII.
Other wise I think the car would go to ASP with the FD, but I could be wrong. Not sure how competitive it would be there.
Good luck

Travis
this is music to my ears
787B is offline  
Old 11-26-02, 11:36 AM
  #5  
Full Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Grand Rapids/Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if youre willing to go into B prepared, you should be able to clean up, as long as you can drive. BP means lots of mods though. like, not streetable. i dont think a street TII would be very competitive in any class.
BookEditar is offline  
Old 11-26-02, 12:58 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
787B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 445
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i dont think BP would work , I cant totally strip her
787B is offline  
Old 12-01-02, 04:23 AM
  #7  
LS6 Convert
5 Year Member
 
redrotorR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,827
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TII runs BS for Stock classes. ASP for Street Prepared. BP for Prepared. It's an uphill battle in Stock and Street Prepared, unfortunately. BS will be especially bad next year when the pre-'00 M-Coupes get bumped down. Your competitors will be mainly S2000's, 350Z's, M-Coupes .... not very encouraging. ASP would be a nightmare to try and be competitive in.
redrotorR1 is offline  
Old 12-01-02, 03:44 PM
  #8  
earning these was better
5 Year Member
 
MaTT_FoULk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richardson TX
Posts: 580
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to run SM2 next year in my TII, we'll see how it goes. I should do ok locally if I improve as a driver.
MaTT_FoULk is offline  
Old 12-05-02, 12:49 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
787B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 445
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by redrotorR1
The TII runs BS for Stock classes. ASP for Street Prepared. BP for Prepared. It's an uphill battle in Stock and Street Prepared, unfortunately. BS will be especially bad next year when the pre-'00 M-Coupes get bumped down. Your competitors will be mainly S2000's, 350Z's, M-Coupes .... not very encouraging. ASP would be a nightmare to try and be competitive in.
those cars actually dont intimidate me too bad. Except for the m-coupe, she scares me a little. Anyway I could get the TII to weight less then all of them
787B is offline  
Old 12-05-02, 02:29 PM
  #10  
Full Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Grand Rapids/Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 787B


those cars actually dont intimidate me too bad. Except for the m-coupe, she scares me a little. Anyway I could get the TII to weight less then all of them
in stock class you cant do weight reduction.

and most of those cars will be really tough for you to beat. especially the m coupe, s2k and boxster.
BookEditar is offline  
Old 12-05-02, 07:55 PM
  #11  
SCCA Rookie
10 Year Member
 
Barwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 1,936
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
racing is all about the driver, except when you get to the SCCA autocrosses, in which case they pit the FD RX-7 against the Z06. I'm sorry, but the Z06 is ABSOLUTELY positively a better car all around than the FD, especially on the autocross course. It's got wider tires stock, 405hp stock, about the same weight.. it's just a bad car. It's not fair that they even put them in the same class.
Barwick is offline  
Old 12-05-02, 08:37 PM
  #12  
Full Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Grand Rapids/Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Barwick
racing is all about the driver, except when you get to the SCCA autocrosses, in which case they pit the FD RX-7 against the Z06. I'm sorry, but the Z06 is ABSOLUTELY positively a better car all around than the FD, especially on the autocross course. It's got wider tires stock, 405hp stock, about the same weight.. it's just a bad car. It's not fair that they even put them in the same class.
sounds like someones a little bitter

there are a lot of mismatched cars in the SCCA classing system. there have to be... in order for each car to be able to be competitive, youd basically have to have a different class for each kind of car. theres always going to be one with a slight advantage over the rest.
BookEditar is offline  
Old 12-06-02, 10:26 AM
  #13  
SCCA Rookie
10 Year Member
 
Barwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 1,936
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no.. the Z06 has just a LITTLE bit more than a slight advantage over the FD.
Barwick is offline  
Old 12-06-02, 11:33 AM
  #14  
Full Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Grand Rapids/Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Barwick
no.. the Z06 has just a LITTLE bit more than a slight advantage over the FD.
there are a lot of cars you can say that about... but complaining doesnt do much good. what do you suggest, banning z06's? or maybe just not allowing them to run in SS (like 996's and 360's)?
BookEditar is offline  
Old 12-06-02, 12:31 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Minnesota/ California
Posts: 600
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve Oblene F'n rocks....He is the BP SCCA National champ 2 years running.... So I'd say, yes a TII is a great car for it......Keep in mind he has serious Suspension and 335's on the rear of that car....not to mention he can drive too

Brad
bkapold@aol.com is offline  
Old 12-06-02, 12:47 PM
  #16  
Car>woman
10 Year Member
 
3isacharm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 967
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Barwick
no.. the Z06 has just a LITTLE bit more than a slight advantage over the FD.
yes, but the rx7 is a more nimble car which helps a great bit at an autox. granted, they are fast cars, but not unbeatable.
3isacharm is offline  
Old 12-06-02, 10:20 PM
  #17  
Full Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Grand Rapids/Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 3isacharm


yes, but the rx7 is a more nimble car which helps a great bit at an autox. granted, they are fast cars, but not unbeatable.
um... we are talking about autocross, where the z06 pretty much destroys the rx7. z06s are just amazing cars, especially for GM.
BookEditar is offline  
Old 12-06-02, 11:54 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
787B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 445
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not to mention the gobs of torque that helps out the ZO6 a lot. my NA FC was a SNAIL when i got back on it on the AUTO-X course. I would ask where the heck is the torque? And then my engine would say, "i dont have any"
787B is offline  
Old 12-07-02, 04:48 AM
  #19  
LS6 Convert
5 Year Member
 
redrotorR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,827
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by BookEditar
or maybe just not allowing them to run in SS (like 996's and 360's)?
Actually, the 996 Porsches run SS. Everything except the AWD 911 Turbo. But even these amazing cars are outmatched in SS. Z06's are pretty much unbeatable in SS ... high torque output at low rpm, lowER weight (not saying it's THAT lightweight), stiff suspension chassis. As FD owners, we're screwed in SS.

The griping about classing is the same across every level. Look at nationals and almost every class has a "dominant" car. However, if enough people gripe, the SCCA has made concessions before. That's the trouble, IMO ... not enough FD drivers out there, and not enough that are sticking around in SS. Like me, I gave up on the crusade ... ASP, here I come.

787B, the only weight reduction you can legally do in stock class is the spare tire and all the accessories to that. Your floormats too ... if you really need to lose those 2 lbs or so.
redrotorR1 is offline  
Old 12-07-02, 07:27 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Minnesota/ California
Posts: 600
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its hard to compare FC's or FD's to Z06...Even though I love 7's, but a Z06? common there an awesome car and I hope its better than an RX-7 in the torque catagory, it wouldn't take much....If I had 40-50k to spend on a sports car I'm buy a Z06 hands down....What a car for the cash......

I've seen N/A RX-7's do very well on the courses so don't rule yours out. You have to keep the RPM's up. And again, its driver experience and tires, depending on class....

Brad
bkapold@aol.com is offline  
Old 12-07-02, 11:14 AM
  #21  
Full Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Grand Rapids/Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by redrotorR1
The griping about classing is the same across every level. Look at nationals and almost every class has a "dominant" car. However, if enough people gripe, the SCCA has made concessions before.
thats what im saying.

also, when i said 996 i meant the turbo. also, new firehawks are banned in stock class. figure that one out.
BookEditar is offline  
Old 12-07-02, 01:00 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
787B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 445
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]
Its hard to compare FC's or FD's to Z06...Even though I love 7's, but a Z06? common there an awesome car and I hope its better than an RX-7 in the torque catagory, it wouldn't take much....If I had 40-50k to spend on a sports car I'm buy a Z06 hands down....What a car for the cash......

I've seen N/A RX-7's do very well on the courses so don't rule yours out. You have to keep the RPM's up. And again, its driver experience and tires, depending on class....

Brad
I dont have my NA FC anymore! Oh well. For 40-50K you would rather have a Z06 than a FD w/ mods galore?
787B is offline  
Old 12-07-02, 04:14 PM
  #23  
Car>woman
10 Year Member
 
3isacharm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 967
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the torque does help the z06 alot. there's only a couple of z06's running around here and i've only witnessed one of them racing. i guess i'm in denial. damn domestics. making fast cars, what are they thinking?
3isacharm is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Sethix
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
6
11-03-17 11:48 PM
MidnightOwl
2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992)
1
09-25-15 10:24 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: competitive TII auto-xer possible?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: