Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

Choosing New Brake Pads

Old 01-17-10, 11:24 PM
  #1  
NASA TTS Build
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Specter328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing New Brake Pads

So I have been looking for a used BBK (Brembo or Stoptech) but to no avail which means I'll need to stick with the stock brakes for now. I'm trying to decide which pads to go with front and rear. I have been using Porterfield R-4 compound and need a change. I'm thinking of Hawk DTC-60 for the front and Hawk HT-10s in the rear. Anyone have any ideas? Other compounds? Combinations?
Specter328 is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 11:47 PM
  #2  
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 24,576
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 112 Posts
we've been running performance friction for the last couple of years.

the are easy on the rotors, modulation is excellent, braking power is great too. the drivers love em.

check em out, its worth a look
j9fd3s is online now  
Old 01-18-10, 12:22 AM
  #3  
NASA TTS Build
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Specter328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about PFC but they are too pricey for me unfortunately.
Specter328 is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 12:24 AM
  #4  
Sua Sponte
15 Year Member
iTrader: (31)
 
Brent Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Savannah
Posts: 3,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree 100% with j9fd3s. I have Porsche Big Reds(brembo's) on the front of my car and 99spec rears. I currently have DTC-60's on the front and HT-10's on the rear. I am pretty sure I'm going to switch back to PFC 01's after I wear my current pads out. I previously ran the PFC 01's and loved them. Better initial bite, torque, and modulation. I might try DTC 70's in the front and DTC60's in the rear next time. That might be a better combination. Still rank the PFC 01's as number one though.
Brent Dalton is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 12:37 AM
  #5  
NASA TTS Build
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Specter328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by memphisraines82 View Post
Agree 100% with j9fd3s. I have Porsche Big Reds(brembo's) on the front of my car and 99spec rears. I currently have DTC-60's on the front and HT-10's on the rear. I am pretty sure I'm going to switch back to PFC 01's after I wear my current pads out. I previously ran the PFC 01's and loved them. Better initial bite, torque, and modulation. I might try DTC 70's in the front and DTC60's in the rear next time. That might be a better combination. Still rank the PFC 01's as number one though.
I'd love to go with PFC 01 fronts and PFC 97s rear but since I have stock brakes I'm restricted to certain compounds plus the cost is prohibitive for me. How do you like the Hawk set up?
Specter328 is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 12:45 AM
  #6  
Sua Sponte
15 Year Member
iTrader: (31)
 
Brent Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Savannah
Posts: 3,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's still good, just not quite as good. It's prob. the second best combo I've tried. The bite, torque, and modulation isn't as good on the DTC-60's as it is on the PFC-01's. I'd say it's a solid second place for me.
Brent Dalton is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 01:00 AM
  #7  
NASA TTS Build
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Specter328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by memphisraines82 View Post
It's still good, just not quite as good. It's prob. the second best combo I've tried. The bite, torque, and modulation isn't as good on the DTC-60's as it is on the PFC-01's. I'd say it's a solid second place for me.
Great thanks for the info, this looks like the set up I'm going to be using. Has anyone tried other compounds worth mentioning?
Specter328 is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 11:14 AM
  #8  
Mr. Links
15 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Mahjik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 27,592
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Specter328 View Post
Has anyone tried other compounds worth mentioning?
N-Tech: https://www.rx7club.com/suspension-wheels-tires-brakes-20/n-tech-competition-compound-440657/
Mahjik is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 12:05 PM
  #9  
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 24,576
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Specter328 View Post
I'd love to go with PFC 01 fronts and PFC 97s rear but since I have stock brakes I'm restricted to certain compounds plus the cost is prohibitive for me. How do you like the Hawk set up?
they actually made us pads in a couple of compounds. our favorite is either 18 or 81 depending on which side is up!
j9fd3s is online now  
Old 01-18-10, 02:31 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
gkmccready's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFBay
Posts: 321
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Specter328 View Post
I'd love to go with PFC 01 fronts and PFC 97s rear but since I have stock brakes I'm restricted to certain compounds plus the cost is prohibitive for me. How do you like the Hawk set up?
FYI, a lot of the brake manufacturers are happy to add a new pad shape to their line-up... all you need to do is contact them and send them old backing plates and the thickness of the friction material. I know for certain Carbotech and Cobalt will do it...
gkmccready is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 02:33 PM
  #11  
Searching for 10th's
iTrader: (11)
 
jkstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 2,192
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Specter328 View Post
So I have been looking for a used BBK (Brembo or Stoptech) but to no avail which means I'll need to stick with the stock brakes for now. I'm trying to decide which pads to go with front and rear. I have been using Porterfield R-4 compound and need a change. I'm thinking of Hawk DTC-60 for the front and Hawk HT-10s in the rear. Anyone have any ideas? Other compounds? Combinations?
Why are you changing from the R-4's?
jkstill is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 04:37 PM
  #12  
NASA TTS Build
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Specter328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jkstill View Post
Why are you changing from the R-4's?
Towards the end of their life I started getting faster and they seemed to go away as I became more aggressive under braking. I also just want to try something new.

Originally Posted by gkmccready View Post
FYI, a lot of the brake manufacturers are happy to add a new pad shape to their line-up... all you need to do is contact them and send them old backing plates and the thickness of the friction material. I know for certain Carbotech and Cobalt will do it...
I was thinking about getting Carbotechs, specifically the XP16, XP12, and XP10 compounds. I'm going to be contacting them tomorrow to see if they can help with choosing the compound which best suits my car.
Specter328 is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 06:52 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
TrentO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 408
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbotechs are pretty good. I ran the XP 12's front and the XP 8's rear in my 400 rwhp FC in a 1 hour enduro. Everything was good until the cooling duct bent up and I boiled the brake fluid. My buddy, Conroy, got Carbotech to make him some XP12's for his brembos and they work very well. Great feel and pretty easy on the rotors considering what we put them through.

-Trent
TrentO is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 07:39 PM
  #14  
Mr. Links
15 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Mahjik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 27,592
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I run the Carbotechs on my M3 for track pads. They are decent pads and take heat extremely well. They don't have a very high friction coefficient, so other pads have a much harder bite. Basically, Carbotechs pretty much feel like a street pad on the track.
Mahjik is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 08:11 PM
  #15  
NASA TTS Build
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Specter328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
I run the Carbotechs on my M3 for track pads. They are decent pads and take heat extremely well. They don't have a very high friction coefficient, so other pads have a much harder bite. Basically, Carbotechs pretty much feel like a street pad on the track.
Which compound do you have?
Specter328 is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 09:27 PM
  #16  
Mr. Links
15 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Mahjik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 27,592
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've used the XP8's and XP12's.
Mahjik is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 10:25 PM
  #17  
NASA TTS Build
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Specter328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
I've used the XP8's and XP12's.
If I ended up sticking with the stock brakes I was thinking of the new XP16 up front and XP12 out back. All these choices, this is tough.
Specter328 is offline  
Old 01-19-10, 08:40 AM
  #18  
Mr. Links
15 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Mahjik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 27,592
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Specter328 View Post
If I ended up sticking with the stock brakes I was thinking of the new XP16 up front and XP12 out back. All these choices, this is tough.
Given the FD's stock brake bias, I'd be surprised if you were really heating up the rears enough for XP12's. At most, I'd recommend XP8's on the rear. On the FD with stock brakes, I'd still recommend N-Tech Engineering brake pads (if Nick is still selling them). Carbotech would be my second choice.
Mahjik is offline  
Old 01-19-10, 08:56 AM
  #19  
ArmitageFD3S
iTrader: (13)
 
ArmitageGVR4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 2,207
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Specter328 View Post
Towards the end of their life I started getting faster and they seemed to go away as I became more aggressive under braking. I also just want to try something new.
Good choice. I found even with stock-ish power on the stock brakes, the R-4s were starting to melt and deposit all over my rotors as I learned to push the car harder and harder. The Hawk DTC-60's I'm running now have not exhibited that problem at all and are head and shoulders above the R-4s IMHO. I have not tested the PFC01s so I have no basis for comparison there.
ArmitageGVR4 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
SakeBomb Garage
Vendor Classifieds
6
08-09-18 05:54 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Choosing New Brake Pads


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: