Other Engine Conversions - non V-8 Discussion of non-rotary engines, exc V-8's, in a car originally powered by a Rotary Engine.

Wanna go 2jz but need some help

Old 06-26-12, 02:55 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Justin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wanna go 2jz but need some help

Hi.
I've got my fd rx7 for about 5 years now. And i'm really tired of problems with my 13b, especially when my bestfriend has driven his supra for about 6 years now, including all trackdays etc. With no proplems at all.

So i desided to sell my new built 13b and tries to make as much money as possible of the stuff I don't need anymore.

I wan't do the swap as easy as possible.
So i've figured out that the tech2 kit will be the easiest way around..anyone agree?

Can anyone please explain to me what "bump steer issue" is? (my english is't that good)

Soo..can I use the Seibon hood without alots of modifications?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIBON-93-02...660ff9&vxp=mtr

And i've read somewhere that the motormounts thats come with the tech2 kit is just crap, so i was wondering if I could just make some aluminium motormounts?

This is only a trackcar, so I just build it for fun. What is the weight of a shortblock 2jz compared to the 13b?

Thanks, Justin
Justin1 is offline  
Old 06-26-12, 04:27 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: WY
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would do some more searching before committing to this project, as there tends to be quite a bit of custom fabrication involved.
cody27 is offline  
Old 06-26-12, 04:52 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Justin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I see, but i've allready sold the engine, so i'm wondering if the tech2 kit would be the easiest to start with..?
Justin1 is offline  
Old 06-26-12, 01:16 PM
  #4  
Mazda Tech
iTrader: (4)
 
MazdaMike02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tottenham, ON
Posts: 1,589
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sell the RX7 buy a Supra. Problem solved, no custom fabrication needed for a car that came with the engine.
MazdaMike02 is offline  
Old 06-26-12, 01:24 PM
  #5  
Quietude of heart.
iTrader: (6)
 
MK3Brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 486
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
You're in for one hell of a project.

2JZ in the FD is one of the stupidest swaps.

Go LS* and don't look back.
MK3Brent is offline  
Old 06-26-12, 01:47 PM
  #6  
Rare for a Reason
iTrader: (13)
 
Narfle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dagobah
Posts: 5,453
Liked 88 Times in 66 Posts
Tech2 is the easiest, and you can not use a siebon hood.
Bump steer is what happens when you lower the steering rack. Suspension geometry is broken by moving it. Kit "fixes" it.

I agree with mk3brent. You would have the best time with LS1. Supra swap is very difficult. Rarely completed.
Narfle is offline  
Old 06-27-12, 04:18 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Justin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okey, thanks..

and thanks for the support haha!

but anyways..if I choose the tech2 kit, do I need a front sump oil pan or is it okey with a back sump ?
Justin1 is offline  
Old 06-27-12, 07:32 AM
  #8  
Full Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: WC PA
Posts: 151
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin1 View Post
okey, thanks..

and thanks for the support haha!

but anyways..if I choose the tech2 kit, do I need a front sump oil pan or is it okey with a back sump ?
You need rear sump. Front does not work.
CKxx is offline  
Old 06-27-12, 08:22 AM
  #9  
2jz'd fc
10 Year Member
iTrader: (24)
 
rotary-guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington- bellingham
Posts: 1,266
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say do it, BUT put it in bone stock. Dont build it while trying to do the swap like a lot of us did/are doing. Get it in, get it running and driving then and only then build it. This way you can enjoy the car while you accumulate all the fun power adders. My two cents.
rotary-guy is offline  
Old 06-27-12, 04:25 PM
  #10  
Full Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: WC PA
Posts: 151
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rotary-guy View Post
I say do it, BUT put it in bone stock. Dont build it while trying to do the swap like a lot of us did/are doing. Get it in, get it running and driving then and only then build it. This way you can enjoy the car while you accumulate all the fun power adders. My two cents.
There are a few reasons I modified my motor while building it, not the least of which were to "simplify" the motor (I removed nearly everything I didn't need/want) as well as to make it easier to install many of the parts (manifold, injectors, etc.).
CKxx is offline  
Old 06-27-12, 04:56 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Justin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okey I see..

then I will look for a rear sump engine..

Anyone ever ordered from tech2 motorsport? they don't seems to want to respond on my email, guess I'll have to wait a few more days to see..

yeah, I think I will try to make the engine as clean and easy as possible.

what about the power steering, do I need it ? (this is not a dailydriver, only for trackdays,dragrace and som fun on the road)

Would my goodspeed radiator that used to do the work for my 13b be big enough for my 2jz ?

I'm really looking forward to start on this project now, think I'm going for the tech2 kit to start with, and the order an engine..
Justin1 is offline  
Old 06-27-12, 05:40 PM
  #12  
Full Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: WC PA
Posts: 151
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin1 View Post
okey I see..

then I will look for a rear sump engine..

Anyone ever ordered from tech2 motorsport? they don't seems to want to respond on my email, guess I'll have to wait a few more days to see..

yeah, I think I will try to make the engine as clean and easy as possible.

what about the power steering, do I need it ? (this is not a dailydriver, only for trackdays,dragrace and som fun on the road)

Would my goodspeed radiator that used to do the work for my 13b be big enough for my 2jz ?

I'm really looking forward to start on this project now, think I'm going for the tech2 kit to start with, and the order an engine..
They will answer eventually. I would think about EXACTLY how you'd like to build the car before you start. Are you going to use a 5 or 6 speed trans? What rear setup?

That radiator is probably large enough, but the inlet/outlet may be poorly placed.
CKxx is offline  
Old 06-27-12, 10:59 PM
  #13  
Full Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: WC PA
Posts: 151
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...also, to answer your original questions, that Seibon hood will not work with a 2JZ. I believe it will fit over a 1JZ though.
CKxx is offline  
Old 06-28-12, 03:03 AM
  #14  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Justin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking about using the R154, Just because it's the easiest way I think..I thought that the original rear setup could do the work, at least in the begining.

So your saying that the only hood I can use with the tech2 kit is the ugly bugly tech2 hood ?

It would be nicer running without a hood then :P
Justin1 is offline  
Old 06-28-12, 09:38 AM
  #15  
Full Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: WC PA
Posts: 151
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin1 View Post
I was thinking about using the R154, Just because it's the easiest way I think..I thought that the original rear setup could do the work, at least in the begining.

So your saying that the only hood I can use with the tech2 kit is the ugly bugly tech2 hood ?

It would be nicer running without a hood then :P
Concerning the hood, that is correct. There is quite a bit to look into before attempting this swap.


...that is why I'm selling my 2J conversion parts.
CKxx is offline  
Old 06-28-12, 02:16 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Pettersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 540
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Justin, we can modify the stock hood, no need to buy an ugly hood if we can make one for free :P I might have some cool or very laim idea's
Pettersen is offline  
Old 06-28-12, 07:26 PM
  #17  
Quietude of heart.
iTrader: (6)
 
MK3Brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 486
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Yeah.... a hole.
MK3Brent is offline  
Old 06-29-12, 02:24 AM
  #18  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Justin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pettersen View Post
Justin, we can modify the stock hood, no need to buy an ugly hood if we can make one for free :P I might have some cool or very laim idea's
Yeah that sounds good!

I'm sure we will figure something out
Justin1 is offline  
Old 06-29-12, 08:24 AM
  #19  
Full Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: WC PA
Posts: 151
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MK3Brent View Post
Yeah.... a hole.
CKxx is offline  
Old 07-28-12, 05:45 PM
  #20  
Full Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 119
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin1 View Post
Yeah that sounds good!

I'm sure we will figure something out
I got a 1JZ swap on mine. If you have a little bit of experience fabricating and welding it should not be much of a big deal. Most part are available through tech2, but a bit expensive. The hood can be done by any body shop. I had mine done.

Problems that I ran into with the tech2 kit.
Hood of course
Wiring harness, no instructions from them but a little research online it can be found.
Not ac compatible
Tach (got it working)
Speedometer (not working yet)
Mounts sag a bit after time, oil pan rubs on the steering rack line elbow, can be solved by putting spacers under the mounts or shaving the elbow a bit.
Custom power steering reservoir, got one from a civic

But it sounds terrific, and pulls like a mother in stock form. Havent had any issues with handling, but I havent tracked the car yet.
yeep is offline  
Old 08-15-12, 06:53 AM
  #21  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Justin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okey, after several hours,weeks and months of waiting for some response from tech2motorsport i've now got tired of waiting? So I've been talking to Shifted Performance, who seems to have much better costumer service, witch in my opinion is very important.

So i'm just waiting for my shipping quote from them.

But i've decided that I will buy a 1jzgte with The R154 gearbox. That will be easier, and cheaper for me.And it will solve the problem with the stock hood as well..

Anyone ever tried Shifted Performance here?
Justin1 is offline  
Old 08-15-12, 10:36 AM
  #22  
BAMF
10 Year Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 395
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin1 View Post
Okey, after several hours,weeks and months of waiting for some response from tech2motorsport i've now got tired of waiting? So I've been talking to Shifted Performance, who seems to have much better costumer service, witch in my opinion is very important.

So i'm just waiting for my shipping quote from them.

But i've decided that I will buy a 1jzgte with The R154 gearbox. That will be easier, and cheaper for me.And it will solve the problem with the stock hood as well..

Anyone ever tried Shifted Performance here?

Sigh, I can't believe that guy still generates any business...
I think you may want to take a look at this...https://www.rx7club.com/other-engine...ld-yay-909651/

And this...https://www.rx7club.com/bad-fugly-me.../#post10537808
GSXRATED is offline  
Old 08-15-12, 01:55 PM
  #23  
Quietude of heart.
iTrader: (6)
 
MK3Brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 486
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin1 View Post

Anyone ever tried Shifted Performance here?


Wow... stay clear of those crooks.
MK3Brent is offline  
Old 08-15-12, 09:26 PM
  #24  
Full Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: WC PA
Posts: 151
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GSXRATED View Post
Sigh, I can't believe that guy still generates any business...
I think you may want to take a look at this...https://www.rx7club.com/other-engine...ld-yay-909651/
A lot of the photos from that thread are missing, but the pictures of the "diff brace" in post #24 pretty much sum it up. That thing looks just about strong enough to hold the diff in place while you build a real mount around it.
CKxx is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 05:26 AM
  #25  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Justin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ooookey! Thanks alot guys! I was just waiting to get a moneyrequest from him, but then I just sent him an email and told him that I did't wan't his kit because of all the bad things that i've read about him.

But I finally talked to the right person at tech2, ans she said that they had one kit in stock. So now i'm just waiting to get my moneyrequest on paypal.

Actually I'm kind of glad it went this way, because It looks like the tech2 kit has pretty good quality, and shifted performance doesnt. I don't know..

Whats a good price for a 1jz with R154 trans? Any ideas? And why are they so damn heavy?
Justin1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanna go 2jz but need some help


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: