Single Turbo RX-7's Questions about all aspects of single turbo setups.

470rwhp !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-02, 02:09 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 470rwhp !!!

Well after coping much **** for never having my car on a chassis dyno I went to one today !

The car was in full street trim, 3"exhaust, air filter, pump gas, with water injection 19.9psi (20 psi close enough 1.4 bar)

I ran two runs one 349rwkw and the other 351.9rwkw or 470rwhp, this was done on a dyno pack dyno which is similar to the dyno dynamics that are so popular here in Australia, both of these dyno read around 10% less than a dynojet in the US.

I sent the copy of my dyno to Ken to see if he can host it, no matter how I shrink it it gets too small to read to up load here, If any one can help me then I will send you a copy to host for me.

regards

Peter.
Old 06-19-02, 02:13 AM
Old [Sch|F]ool

Received 417 Likes on 297 Posts
Plus 10% is 517rwhp, divided by .85 makes 608hp at the flywheel. Sounds about right
Old 06-19-02, 02:22 AM
'Tuna'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 470rwhp !!!

Originally posted by RICE RACING
Well after coping much **** for never having my car on a chassis dyno I went to one today !

The car was in full street trim, 3"exhaust, air filter, pump gas, with water injection 19.9psi (20 psi close enough 1.4 bar)

I ran two runs one 349rwkw and the other 351.9rwkw or 470rwhp, this was done on a dyno pack dyno which is similar to the dyno dynamics that are so popular here in Australia, both of these dyno read around 10% less than a dynojet in the US.

I sent the copy of my dyno to Ken to see if he can host it, no matter how I shrink it it gets too small to read to up load here, If any one can help me then I will send you a copy to host for me.

regard

Peter.
Thumbs up Peter!
Now who was giving him **** about never having his car on the dyno
Did you do a comparison test on and off the water injection?

crispeed
87 Rx-7 TII
9.204@150.47mph
2600lbs
un-tubbed
Old 06-19-02, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah good figures but its been proven any billy braindead with a bit of an idea and enough money can extract big h/p numbers out of rotaries here in australia and i guess its the same everywhere

some of the guys setting the numbers in drag racing with rotaries in australia are just follower's and just waiting for guy's that actually spend a bit of time doing R & D on systems so they can go faster ,thats where some respect should be shown toward workshops like Maztech and Rotomotion that are the true pioneers in the aust rotary scene , without some of the R & D out of these workshops im sure we would'nt be where we are today and while im there i should make mention of Wayne Dyson's efforts all those years ago

Rice i was interested in reading your post about your approx. max h/p you think a rotary is capable of , how long did that take too work out ??? seems like a very complex process ,was it theory only you base your findings on or have you spent time on an engine dyno too come up with this approx. figure ???? has anyone done any extensive work on the engine dyno testing them too there limits that you know of ??? it's going to be interesting too see what happens over the next few years for sure considering the limited time on rotaries compared too piston engines

well once again congrat's on the figures Peter
Old 06-19-02, 04:36 AM

Holy ****! Congrats Pete!

Old 06-19-02, 04:47 AM
Rotary Freak

What type of turbo do you use PETER ? , my T66 had better give me some sweet ****** figures like that !!!.
Old 06-19-02, 05:00 AM
Oldie, but Goodie

Re: 470rwhp !!!

Originally posted by RICE RACING Well after coping much **** for never having my car on a chassis dyno I went to one today !The car was in full street trim, 3"exhaust, air filter, pump gas, with water injection 19.9psi (20 psi close enough 1.4 bar)

I sent the copy of my dyno to Ken to see if he can host it, no matter how I shrink it it gets too small to read to up load here, If any one can help me then I will send you a copy to host for me.regardsPeter.
Here it is.

Ken
Old 06-19-02, 05:12 AM
Oldie, but Goodie

Originally posted by peejay Plus 10% is 517rwhp, divided by .85 makes 608hp at the flywheel. Sounds about right
Yep, 470 * 1.1 * 1.18 = 610bhp.

Ken
Old 06-19-02, 05:49 AM
Oldie, but Goodie

I LUVIT when fellow rotary nuts work as a team to get it done against the evil piston masses and do not rip each other.

Ken
Old 06-19-02, 07:14 AM

Re: Re: 470rwhp !!!

Originally posted by LUV94RX7

Here it is.

Ken

Impressive numbers for pump gas. Power band seems to look rather narrow though, what porting are you using?
Old 06-19-02, 07:26 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally posted by Marcel Burkett
What type of turbo do you use PETER ? , my T66 had better give me some sweet ****** figures like that !!!.
I use a turbo of my own spec, it is very similar to the to4s but with a 1.32 divided a/r rear and a P trim exhaust wheel... I use a equal tunned length tubular header (which I believe makes alot of difference) and mild sized exhaust ports

I suppose it is a combination, not just a parts list that lets you make some decent "reliable" HP...without needing to go silly.

I think, I know with a race exhaust, small boost increase 2psi (which I have run before) you could get well into the 500rwhp range with this small turbo on a street port without resorting to race gas, but I suppose I am guessing? just went for the "money" run as I am thinking of selling my car to finance other "projects".

I just always wanted a car that would match a Ferrari F40, and my little Mazda does just that in total street trim ... just it does not look as good, or handle as good, or ..... any way I like it !
Old 06-19-02, 07:32 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Re: Re: Re: 470rwhp !!!

Originally posted by forcefed7

Impressive numbers for pump gas. Power band seems to look rather narrow though, what porting are you using?
Street port, dead give away is the narrow torque spread ! The porting is "large" especially the exhaust, and I use a fully tunned header which makes it peaky as well, delivers solid power over a 2500rpm range which is enough for me, I rev to 8400rpm but only drove it till the power fell of on the dyno.

The porting and exhaust manifold help it make the power that it does on that boost, only off set is that to make power in one range you loose some in another, unless you go partial bridge or the like........
Old 06-19-02, 07:45 AM

rice what sort of hp have u calculated u can get from that turbo ?
Old 06-19-02, 07:54 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally posted by cement
rice what sort of hp have u calculated u can get from that turbo ?
I believe the maximum on a current tech street port rotary is around 600bhp, you could push it more but it would be an up hill battle ....over speed, and too hot a charge temp.

Realy should go to a larger compressor for more power potential (allow much more boost), but then you need race gas on a 13B engine size .........
Old 06-19-02, 08:10 AM

Rice im with Crispeed how much is that water worth too u in hp ??? was it straight water or a mix ???
Old 06-19-02, 08:13 AM
Oldie, but Goodie

Originally posted by cement B]Rice im with Crispeed how much is that water worth too u in hp ??? was it straight water or a mix ??? [/B]
My feelings are the right amount of water at the high rpm and boost will drop intake air temps 60f degrees. That is worth probably 10% power gain, plus no detonation.

Ken
Old 06-19-02, 08:23 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Bro, it is straight water, as this gives the maximum in chamber cooling, better than methanol !

To be 100% honest I do not know how much in terms of HP? I was to scared to turn it off as I was running pump gas, I believe that it saves the engine though, as my a/f was starting to lean a little due to the more efficient CDI ignition I recently upgraded to, with out the water I would not have the reliability I have now the heat that the water extracts saves the seals and the turbine for sure, I pretty much use it as my insurance policy you could say.

I love the fact that I can keep it set at 1.4bar and not worry about needing special fuel .......... I think in pure terms it would be worth another 5% in engine power over running excesive rich mixture or spark retard to prevent detonation. But this is just theory I have no solid back to back numbers to back up this claim, yet ! In terms of engine durability, I can tell you as an engine builder that the WI is worth the effort.
Old 06-19-02, 08:37 AM

what did your EGT's reach ?
Old 06-19-02, 09:12 AM

Surely he would have logged that on the autronic box during the dyno run. Hey rice how about sending me the .dat file
Old 06-19-02, 09:34 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally posted by Autronic#1
Surely he would have logged that on the autronic box during the dyno run. Hey rice how about sending me the .dat file
I did ! Send me an e-mail

riceracing@ozemail.com.au

and I will send you the .dat file (next week, when I am back in town RE: near my lap top!)

PS: The second run, I got the "fever" and was busy trying to watch three different gauges, monitor the PC etc and simply forgot to hit the space bar to trigger the logger ! Happens when you get nervous
Old 06-19-02, 10:05 AM

You must mean the F8 button, still i can understand being so nervous
Old 06-19-02, 10:51 AM
I can has a Hemi? Yes...

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it me or is Autotronic#1 and CEMENT the basically the same guy, who seemed to be jealous of Peter's accomplishments?

It seems kinda wierd that they both registered June 2002 with less than 10 posts, both from AUS.

They seem to "bash him" while smiling..
Maybe I am wrong, but it doesn't seem cool.

yeah good figures but its been proven any billy braindead with a bit of an idea and enough money can extract big h/p numbers out of rotaries here in australia and i guess its the same everywhere
I guess Peter is just a Rich guy in his eyes?

some of the guys setting the numbers in drag racing with rotaries in australia are just follower's
Is he saying Peter is a follower now?

thats where some respect should be shown toward workshops like Maztech and Rotomotion that are the true pioneers in the aust rotary scene
Does he work for them?

Surely he would have logged that on the autronic box during the dyno run.
What, he doesn't believe him? Or does he just want to nitpick and find flaws?

Hey rice how about sending me the .dat file
Or do he want to copy him? I guess the original post is true then.
some of the guys setting the numbers in drag racing with rotaries in australia are just follower's
Again - I could be TOTALLY wrong, but this is how I interpreted these posts.

Last edited by Directfreak; 06-19-02 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-19-02, 11:25 AM

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! Very nice numbers. Congrats!!!!
Old 06-19-02, 01:16 PM

Now I have to go roll someone to get my single!!! Those are inspiring numbers. I just want 400 rwhp and I will be real happy.

Good job.

Quick Reply: 470rwhp !!!