2nd Gen Archive
Sponsored by:

FREEBIE mods for the FC!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-01, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking FREEBIE mods for the FC!

Hey guys, let's start a little list of the FREEBIE mods we can do to our FCs. Since I got a TII, let's concentrate on that first! Let's see, something like this: Remove the EGR valve. It doesn't cost anything and it WILL increase power, if its plugged up at least. Let's see what you guys can come up with!
Old 12-02-01, 04:36 AM

Weight reduction always a good thing... Start by taking out your AC and Power Steering Not only weight reduction, but makes working on engine so much easier.. SOOO roomy..

Gut your cats... Not recommended if your next door neighbor is a cop and hates you... Free to do, and frees up your exhaust flow.. (not recommended on expensive cats... Just stock cats =)
Old 12-02-01, 04:56 AM
HyperREV.com

Re: FREEBIE mods for the FC!

Originally posted by ROSHX7
Hey guys, let's start a little list of the FREEBIE mods we can do to our FCs. Since I got a TII, let's concentrate on that first! Let's see, something like this: Remove the EGR valve. It doesn't cost anything and it WILL increase power, if its plugged up at least. Let's see what you guys can come up with!
not really a freebie mod! you have to buy the block off plate
Old 12-02-01, 04:56 AM
Rotary Freak

You can get a smidgen of negative camber by rotating the front strut mount. Do a search on this. I'm too lazy to explain how to do it, but it is easy to do. It does work. Another one that gets overlooked is tire pressure. Handling can be effected greatly with the right pressure, depending on how you like you car balanced.

jerk_racer@hotmail.com
Old 12-02-01, 01:16 PM
Eggs are like fowl cheese

TTT
Old 12-02-01, 01:34 PM
mad scientist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TB mod.

Cut the crush washers off the spark plugs. It moves the spark a little closer to the chamber, and raises the compression a very slight bit. I have tested it on a spare rotor housing I have, and the spark plug does NOT get far enough into the chamber to hit the seals.

If youre handy with a grinder, port your intake manifold.

remove air pump
Old 12-02-01, 01:51 PM

The best free or cheap mods for a T2 are...Gut both the pre & main cats! Get a cheap intake removing the restrictive stock unit! This will be well worth the time! You will notice the diff! It will also help make your T2 last. It helps get the heat out easier!
Good luck!
Old 12-02-01, 01:59 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
change ALL of your fluids to synthetic.
another cheap one is electric fann upgrade.
The EGR mod is free if you take a BB or somthing like that and place in the vaccum line on the EGR valve it stops it from opening.
Stopping the water from flowing through the intake is mostly free.
Old 12-02-01, 02:00 PM

Re: FREEBIE mods for the FC!

hehe...insert favorite driving cd.... just kidding.i have spent way to much money on my car..i think i should not even be allowed to post here.hehe.

[Remove the EGR valve. It doesn't cost anything and it WILL increase power, if its plugged up at least. [/B]
how do you increase power by removing the egr valve?does it have something to do with the poor flammability of the gases it sucks into the intake?hmm.puzzeling.good thing mine's off,i guess
Old 12-02-01, 02:05 PM

you can always make a atmospheric BOV, very cheap, sounds very cool. Also--anyone know what year model 929 master cylinder fits on a rex??
Old 12-02-01, 02:08 PM
I wish I had a posse...

Advance the timing a little bit, I don't know the exact amount but it's good for a little bit of HP.

Another free mod...ditch the fat friends. It's faster if you drive solo!
Old 12-02-01, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by tweaked
change ALL of your fluids to synthetic.
another cheap one is electric fann upgrade.
The EGR mod is free if you take a BB or somthing like that and place in the vaccum line on the EGR valve it stops it from opening.
Stopping the water from flowing through the intake is mostly free.
OK guys, I haven't officially done the EGR mod myself, so I'm not sure if it really ADDS power...I just know that if its plugged up, you'll LOSE power.

Hey Tweaked, you said to place a plug on the vacuum line that goes to the EGR valve and that should disable it? That sound so EASY, can anyone else confirm this WORKS before I do it?...all the EGR is doing is putting Exhaust Gases into the intake and diluting it for improved emissions right?
Old 12-02-01, 04:32 PM

These work with any car:

1) Clean out the trunk. On my FC, a 2650lb vehicle with 142hp, Each horsepower moves 18 1/2 pounds. Free weight is free horsepower.

2) Keep everything properly tuned. Sure, your car may have been the pinnacle of performance in 1990, but does it live up to it's full potential with a vaccuum leak, crappy compression, and leaky injectors?

3) Slim down yourself. This goes with number one. You don't really need that extra double cheeseburger with mayo on the side. Your car's suspension and your girlfriend will thank you.

4) Drive better. A lightened FB with an 1100hp Cosmo is just an expensive sofa without the proper driver. Check with the SCCA, they can tell you about performance driving courses in your area. And practice makes perfect. The more familar you are with your car's performance at the limit, the better you will be.
Old 12-02-01, 05:20 PM

Hey Tweaked, you said to place a plug on the vacuum line that goes to the EGR valve and that should disable it? That sound so EASY, can anyone else confirm this WORKS before I do it?...all the EGR is doing is putting Exhaust Gases into the intake and diluting it for improved emissions right?
from looking at scematics,the egr valve is simply that..a valve,controled by a solenoid,wich is controled by the ecu.when its on,it applies maniflod vacumm to the "crankcase",meaning it sucks fumes out of the "intenals" of the engine,oilpan and return passages,i guess.i dont see why you could not just unplug the vacum hose and plug both ends up...the solenoid that controls it simply opens a vacum valve when on,and it closes when off.it doesent know where the air is comming from,or if anything is even flowi'n through there.actually,i think the egr is a check valve,wich would mean u would not have to cap it,but i would,to be certain.feel free to correct me if i'm wrong,guys,but after studying the scematics and applying a bit of common sense,i'm quite certain of the abouve.
d

ps:i should add,i really wonder how much hp you would gain by disconecting it...and,it is helping to reduce emmisions...before everybody goes and unplugs theyr egr's.of course,i'm pulling all my emmisions stuff off,so i guess i should shut up...but at least,i CANT actually use the egr valve[t2 intermidiate housing does not have 1,like the n/a's]hehe.

Last edited by wankelhead; 12-02-01 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-02-01, 06:07 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve takes exhaust gasses at low rpm ant sends them to the combustion chamber. it is for emmissions. I used to race a Cellica and got the tip from " the Toyota perfomance handbook" by Pat Braden.
The following os from the book page 83...
"
EGR modifications
The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve is a pollution control device that routes exaust gas back into the intake manifold at low rpm. While this lowers NOx levels, it reduces throttle responce and low-rpm power!
It's easy to disable the EGR valve. this modification works best in conjunction with fuel inrichment procedure already mentioned.
1. locate the EGR valve and the EGR vacuum modulator valve. They are usually located toward the rear of the engine...
the EGR valve has steel hard lines from the exhaust manifold to the valve itself. The ERG vacuum modulator has two vacuum lines from the intake manifold and one to the EGR valve. It has only one vacuum line going to it.
2. To keep the EGr valve from opening, put a BB from a childs air gun or similar plug in the line between the EGR modulator valve and the EGR valve. "
Then he make a statement about how it violates emissions standard and crap like that.
It works though.
Old 12-02-01, 07:12 PM
terminally boosted

Does anyone have a picture of the egr valve because I haven't really gotten in to the egr area because Im all for free power!

Oh and a cheap power upgrade is a nos sticker j/k
Old 12-02-01, 07:49 PM

well,for a lack of the abiliy to post a pic,here's a link to a thread which has a pic that sorta shows the egr..its pretty buried..

https://www.rx7club.com/vforums/show...threadid=34649
Old 12-02-01, 08:14 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

I also took out my air box and cut out the flat panel on the top with a jig saw then trimmed it up with a dremel. You know the part that has the sticker that says mazda on it.
then if you want to spen some money to make it better. I took the bottom and cutt it off as close to the air filter mount as posible. cut off the flang ethat mounts to the MAF. then I took fiberglass and reformed the bottom so that it was more of a funnel in stead of just that little box on one side. While I was at it I made it so that the air filter was a little more forward and more verticle. themn my plan was to build a cold air box but I haven't yet. This helped the K&N filtercharger work better. I had to do all of this because I have an '88 n/a.

Another mod is to take out those usless plasic planels mazda threw all over the inside of our cars.
Spare tire - out.
I also took 10 gauge wire and made a new ground straght to the battery from the computers and sub computers. I got this I dea when I saw some internet company selling pretty much the same thing for about $80. the difference? instruction manual and it was cut to fit your car. They said it removes other electric signals from the computers. and speeds them up b/c they don't have to filter as much. I thought it was b/s but thought that it couldn't hurt and only help. took about 2 hours
Old 12-02-01, 09:28 PM

Definitely weight redux, and gutting the pre-cats, if not the main cat also.

For weight redux, pop the hood.. See all that crazy stuff that confuses you, and you don't know why it's there? A *LOT* of it is not necessary. The sub-zero start assist is a joke. Rip it out. There goes a few pounds (water is HEAVY), and cleans your engine bay up. Get a 51R battery, I hear they're ~10 lbs lighter. Remove the thickass sound deadening mat under your hatch carpet. For that matter, remove your hatch carpet, and replace it with walmart felt. I saw some guy who did this, and it looked suprisingly decent!

The TB mod really cleans things up, and removes a good pound or two.. I need to go to kroger and use their fruit scale to see exactly how much this stuff weighs..

for ~60$, you can get a k&n cone filter and the HKS blockoff plate. This removes the airbox, and crappy-*** intake system, which is a few pounds right there. Be creative and route some dryer hose up from the front, or build a cold air box..

I'm suprised noone has mentioned tying the six port sleeves open, if they don't work right now.

-Tesla
Old 12-03-01, 01:54 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

thas it?! No one has any more mods???
What about eh MAF mod?
What if I say that we find all the mods under $50 then after we runn out of those we will move it up to $100.
Come on guys we can do better.
Old 12-03-01, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by tweaked
EGR modifications
2. To keep the EGr valve from opening, put a BB from a childs air gun or similar plug in the line between the EGR modulator valve and the EGR valve. "
[/B]
What's a "BB"? What does it stand for and where can I find one?

Good show people! So far, these CLOSE to FREEBIE mods listed are pretty awesome...let's keep it going, in case we missed something!
Old 12-03-01, 03:17 PM
I wish I had a posse...

Y'know a BB, like the ones used in air-rifles or pellet guns.

Then again you're from Canada...
Old 12-03-01, 03:50 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

only fill your tank up half way. half a tank of gas probably weighs alot.

roll the windows up for better aerodynamics.

loose the arial for better aerodynamics.

don't take a cd case with a hundred cds everywhere you go.

*** LEARN YOUR POWER-BAND, AND STAY IN IT ***
Old 12-03-01, 03:57 PM
mad scientist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Samps
only fill your tank up half way. half a tank of gas probably weighs alot.

Gas weighs ~6 lbs per gallon. And with an 16-18 gallon tank, that 1/2 tank could be 50 lbs or more.
Old 12-03-01, 04:59 PM
hambre y sueño

get that empty coffe can and save it. You will need to remove the seats and place the coffe can where the drivers seat would be. That is if you are into serious weight reduction.

Also take out all accersories: AP, A/C, PS, and spare tire.....

Quick Reply: FREEBIE mods for the FC!