3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

Help:Autometer doesn't fit in RE Amem Steering col pod

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-01, 12:11 AM
Jinx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help:Autometer doesn't fit in RE Amem Steering col pod

Anyone else have these?

1. The Autometer boost gauge cant slide all the way back because the bulb socket and mounting bolts strike the rear of the steerong column pod.

2. I can't secure it because there is not enough room between the side of the pod and mounting bolts to gut the nuts onto the mounting bolts. So it would be loose.

Anyone dealt with this before? Am I going to have to carve this $200 pod up?

These are sold together at Rotary Performance, but I had no idea the fit was so difficult.
Old 09-19-01, 07:01 AM

I have the Pettit Steering console pod with an Autometer boost gauge. Perfect fit and cheaper than your RP one. Send it back and get the Pettit.
Old 09-19-01, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the thing i hate about pettit is it doesnt snap in place. i still havent glued it because i dont wanna glue it. im trying to think of a way to glue something to the inside so it will just snap into place. otherwise it cool and cheaper too
Old 09-19-01, 06:34 PM

Use black RTV sealant to glue it. This way you can get it apart if you want. Let it set with a bunch of rubber bands around the steering column. It has held fast for over 1 yr including hard autocross cornering.
Old 09-19-01, 07:39 PM
Jinx

Won't go back any further.

Areas where it hits: Bolts and bulb connector.
Old 09-20-01, 01:32 AM

I have this set-up but was forwarned by Ari that it required modification. First you need to enlarge the existing holes (the ones you marked) for the Autometer to slide back. Then the mounting studs on the gauge need to be trimed and clean up the threads so that the nuts will go on (it's a tight fit). I used a round metal file to enlarge the holes while carefully holding the gauge pod in the palm of my hand being very careful to distribute the load over a large area. Since this gauge holder is made for RH drive the washer and blinker stalks are reversed (you'll see what I mean) so if you want a clean fit the sides should be trimed to match the bottm half of the steering console but it's not necessary.

Only the RE gauge will fit this holder perfectly.

In regards to the Petit column mount and its cheaper price. The RE pod more closely resembles a factory piece in construction, appearance and real mounting tabs. It depends how tight your budget is but a basic boost gauge and pillar mount can be had much cheaper than either Petit's $189 or RP's $250 set ups - both overpriced for what you get. Jack
Old 09-20-01, 02:59 PM

I was told before hand also. I took a drimel tool and made the holes bigger. THen I pushed the gauge as far as I could. I got some needle nose and pried the two bolts inward to get the gauge in as far as I could then I just let the bolts go. The pressure of th etight fit was enough to hold the gauge in. Here's how mine turned out.
Old 09-20-01, 03:00 PM

Here's another
Old 09-20-01, 03:01 PM

And yet another
Old 09-20-01, 04:32 PM
Jinx

Those results look encouraging.
How did you handle the bulb socket?
Old 09-21-01, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by technonovice
Those results look encouraging.
How did you handle the bulb socket?

Just made the opening bigger. Enough to get it to slide through. It was a very tight fit. Took some patience, not to break the plastic. But it definitely paid off. I think it looks awesome. Are you going to paint the rim of the chrome as well. It made such a difference with mine.