2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Where does the stock ground go to?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-03, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where does the stock battery ground go to?

I took out my transmission and forgot where the stock (negative) battery ground goes to. Can somebody get real specific with me? thanks

Last edited by nad1967; 05-27-03 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-27-03, 09:24 PM
HAILERS

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It attaches to the long, outboard bolt that holds the starter on.
Old 05-28-03, 02:18 AM

Thanks, it seemed like it went there but just wanted to make sure, better safe than toast.
Old 05-28-03, 03:02 AM

does anybody have a picture of this? i need to replace mine too.
Old 05-28-03, 07:29 AM
I'm a boost creep...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Bolt 'a' is the one Hailers is referring to.

Last edited by NZConvertible; 05-28-03 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-28-03, 09:25 AM

So why don't they have a picture of the ground going to the long bolt for dummies like me?
Old 06-26-03, 05:13 AM
Microtech Tuning!

Does it matter if the ground is attached to the starter side or the engine side? I accidently hooked it up to the engine side and its such a bitch to take off the bolt.....
Old 06-26-03, 06:51 AM
Seduced by the DARK SIDE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Infini IV
Does it matter if the ground is attached to the starter side or the engine side? I accidently hooked it up to the engine side and its such a bitch to take off the bolt.....
No matter as long as you have clean bright shiny metal to metal contact.
Old 06-26-03, 08:16 AM
W. TX chirpin Monkey

i would throw and additional ground from battery to engine block, or tranny. I used the holes right above the trailing plugs which are already threaded.
Old 07-29-03, 02:57 AM

Sorry to bring this post back, but the ground cable goes on the top driver side transmission bolt. The one close the oil filter.
Old 07-29-03, 09:34 AM
HAILERS

No...*It attaches to the long, outboard bolt that holds the starter on**
Old 07-29-03, 01:07 PM
WTF

well ther is on that goes from the bell housing on the transmission to somewhere on the engine right?
Old 07-29-03, 02:10 PM
Engine, Not Motor

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts
There is also a ground that goes from the top tranny bolt to the firewall.
Old 07-29-03, 05:24 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

The veterans here know there are more than 1 ground cable. There's the main ground going to the starter bolt, there's one from the bellhousing to the firewall (near the wiper motor via spade connector), one below the throttle body (ring connector), one below the stock air filter (ring connector) and that's for just the engine bay.
Our cars are old and most wires are corroded. You should add grounds before problems arise or if you have wierd problems that seems electrical, it could be the grounds. Some here have had great success by adding new grounds or cleaning up the stock ones.
Old 07-29-03, 10:37 PM
HAILERS

The ones under the intake are fairly important. Those on the ring are for......the ECU. As in ECU grounds. No ECU ground....no starty.
Old 07-29-03, 11:44 PM

someone got pictures for all the grounds?
Old 07-30-03, 12:13 AM
Open up! Search Warrant!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It matters! I did that by accident, and when I turned the key, the battery started sparking and the starter started smoking. I toasted the ECU and I'm still troubleshooting stuff throughout the car trying to figure why it idles, but if I hit the gas, it still idles instead of revving up. DO NOT HOOK THE STARTER UP WRONG, AND DO NOT HOOK IT UP BACKWARDS!

This is a public service announcement brought to you by someone who has already made this mistake so you don't have to.
Old 08-24-03, 07:03 PM

Corroded wiring

Originally posted by boosted1205
The veterans here know there are more than 1 ground cable. There's the main ground going to the starter bolt, there's one from the bellhousing to the firewall (near the wiper motor via spade connector), one below the throttle body (ring connector), one below the stock air filter (ring connector) and that's for just the engine bay.
Our cars are old and most wires are corroded. You should add grounds before problems arise or if you have wierd problems that seems electrical, it could be the grounds. Some here have had great success by adding new grounds or cleaning up the stock ones.
Hi, just curious why you indicated "most wires are corroded" on older RX7s. My 1988 RX7 SE does not appear to have any corroded wires and all wiring harnesses seem ok - although engine wiring harness on drivers side is dirty with oil.

Thanks,

Gordon
Old 01-07-04, 03:54 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Project84
It matters! I did that by accident, and when I turned the key, the battery started sparking and the starter started smoking. I toasted the ECU and I'm still troubleshooting stuff throughout the car trying to figure why it idles, but if I hit the gas, it still idles instead of revving up. DO NOT HOOK THE STARTER UP WRONG, AND DO NOT HOOK IT UP BACKWARDS!
I am slightly confused as to why it would matter? Isnt he talking about whether the grounding cable is attached to the engine side of the bolt, or the starter side of the bolt? Since they both would be contacting the eingine, directly or indirectly (which is suppose to be/provide a ground in itself) then why would this matter? Can someone confirm or deny what he just said? Because it seems a slightly odd thing.

BTW, nice picture NZ- thanks
Old 02-03-04, 02:22 PM
WTF

um sorry to bring this up from the dead but i was interested in HAILERS comment about the ring connector under the intake. Under which part of the intake? The intake manifold or the intake box. Im not sure exactly where you meant and i know i have never cleaned that ground and every wire in my car is corroded so im trying to get them all clean, because im having some pretty bad electrical problems. And my car wont start when cold so i want to knock off some culprits
Old 02-03-04, 03:44 PM
I'm a boost creep...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Under the intake manifold, on the engine itself.
Old 02-03-04, 03:59 PM
HAILERS

Its the ground for the ECU. It's located two inches left of centerline on the rear rotor housing. The throttle body has to be removed to access it. It's two/three twenty gauge wires connected to a ring terminal and bolted down with a 10mm size bolt. Black wires.

The other question above about the battery ground. It goes on the long bolt of the starter. Forward side but if you put it on the aft side of the bolt it won't matter. What Project84 is talking about is that he connected it not to the long bolt on the starter but the solenoid itself. That's a no-no. Big time no-no.
Old 02-03-04, 04:25 PM
Rotary Freak

Where does the Neg. ground connect

Originally posted by NZConvertible
Bolt 'a' is the one Hailers is referring to.

Today I was working on a electrical short that fried my hydraulic line. I traced the battery negative ground cable and found two copper connections on it. One is about midway along the cable and attaches with a bolt to the drivers side fender well in the engine bay. I found that the terminal connector was not connected to anything but seems to have been grounding against the transmission housing. I also am wondering where the connector should be bolted. Based on its length and location it would appear that the transmission bolt or the starter bolt would be appropriate.

My car is an 89 GTU and it appears to have the original starter and negative battery cable. Can someone verify that what I found is a stock routing for the system ground?

Last edited by GTUser; 02-03-04 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-03-04, 05:04 PM
WTF

thanks hailers im gonna go look tomorrow if its not too cold....can it be accessed by just removing the bolts for the intake manifold or do i have to undo that damn water hose connecting it to the motor?
Old 02-04-04, 03:07 PM
WTF

i have looked and looked for the ring connector ground under the intake and the only ground im finding is the one going from the end plate to the spade right by the wiper motor... anyone have pics of the ground ICEMARK is talking about.

Quick Reply: Where does the stock ground go to?