(COOlING) Electric Fans

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-01, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(COOlING) Electric Fans

I decided agains welding my old clucht fan to be on 100% of the time some my last choice is to get an electric fan.

I know the black magic fan and the permacool ones kick *** but are awfully expensive. What would be a good value fan the victoria british one. What are other places that sell cheap fans.

Canadian tire has em but theyr to small, prolly made for a 4banger
Old 08-30-01, 10:30 AM

Did you get your radiator yet?
Old 08-30-01, 10:55 AM

im picking it up in an half hour.
Old 08-30-01, 12:39 PM
KARATE EXPLOSION

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
can someone give me a rundown of what is involved in installing an electric fan? i'm interested in trying it out, but i wanna get a good idea of how it's gonna go before i even try.
Old 08-30-01, 01:12 PM
the name is Stan

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
This Month's issue of Grassroots Motorsports has an article on cooling systems, radiators, fans and shrouds. Also discusses the difference in Pusher vs. puller fans.

plus an article about a guy that installed a rotary into a mid-engined Fiat?
Old 08-30-01, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put in a permacool...costs about $100 bucks. I also bought the electric thermostat but dont bother. I ended turning it all the way low. Just get the 170 degree switch and a manual switch.

-Jrx13
Old 08-30-01, 07:55 PM
GSL-SE PRO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good idea i mght try it
Old 08-30-01, 08:23 PM

Wink

I got a eletric fan from a friends MR2 and it was a duel fan it work perfect. Installed a 20 amp. fuse and a manuel switch hooked into fuse holder. I can turn it on when the key it on acc.
Old 08-30-01, 08:26 PM
GSL-SE PRO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how long did it take to do?
Old 08-31-01, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, the thermostat thing I was talking about is an electric switch. It senses the coolant temp and turns on the fan. Also wire a relay in for a/c and your set.

-Jrx13
Old 08-31-01, 09:50 AM
EliteHardcoreCanuckSquad

Maybe SilverRocket will chime in as he has done this mod as well using a Blackmagic fan. I might be interested too.
Old 09-01-01, 12:51 AM
The AUTO DOCTOR

i have the black magic fan. its a really eazy mod, get the little zip tie thinngys that you put through the rad. that and 4 wires, 2 power, 1 ground 1 a/c and blam your done. i love mine
Old 09-01-01, 03:34 PM

Why do ya need to relay a wire to A/C. I dont even have A/C(i took it off), so do i need it.??
Old 09-03-01, 02:11 PM

hey phoenix do you have any idea on how much CFM that taurus puts out.

im prolly going to the same thing as you did(i dont understand why you cant hook iy up to the A/C button) My A/C is gone too. I have cruise control and i never used it since i got the car(dont even know if it works) so i cant hook it up to that.

I used a Taurus fan. Just take the stock fan off, spacer, and shroud. The Taurus shroud fits the stock rad. perfect. I just cut two slits in the Taurus shroud to fit the two protrustions are for teh stock shroud and slipped in in tightly. Drilled two holes on the other side of the rad. housing and put two sheetmetal screws in. Oh, the rad. needs to be removed to do this. The Taurus fan gets close to the main pully. It clears, but i removed the outer pulley (smog pump) anyhow since i didn't need it.
sounds awfully complicated
Old 09-04-01, 04:25 AM

Originally posted by pheonix
I wanted to use the fan with the ignition off, so i just wired it directly to the battery with 20A fuse and put a lighted switch in a switch blank by the choke. DOn't bother with a t-stat..unless you have a really bad memory. They are junk and usually leak.

I used a Taurus fan. Just take the stock fan off, spacer, and shroud. The Taurus shroud fits the stock rad. perfect. I just cut two slits in the Taurus shroud to fit the two protrustions are for
What year Taurus?

Also, I'm pretty lazy, so I will probably end up using a t-stat or something similar

Thanks
Old 09-06-01, 12:13 PM
EliteHardcoreCannuckSquad

I think there is an issue of which people should be aware before they order up an e-fan....

Remember that the earlier 12A cars (up to 83?) have a smaller 2-row radiator, to accommodate the air-to-air oil cooler. The later cars have the larger 3-row rad and the small oil cooler mounted under the oil filter. I know nothing about the SE's, but am assuming they too have the larger rad.

I think people should mention which year of car (and thus which rad) they have when discussing which fans will fit.

If you have one of the earlier cars, the Black Magic shroud is far too large to fit within the rad. I was not too pleased when I found this out, but I solved this problem by cutting the foam/rubber seal on the shroud where the rad meets the oil cooler. The fan shroud thus overlaps both the rad and oil cooler. I also had to cut the beefy steel brackets supplied with the fan in order for them to fit.

I don't know if this is the ideal cooling setup, but it worked well for me during the very hot summer we had in Toronto this year. I don't think any electric fan will cool as well as the stock fan, if you do a lot of slow stop-and-go driving. The electric switch / thermostat in the fan takes a little while to react, so depending on how you have the **** set, the fan is either a little slow to react to high temps, or it is on all the time.

The really nice feature of the Black Magic is that it comes with the adjustable temperature switch built-in and all the wires/connectors you need to install. Once you have it bolted in, the wiring is easy.

I really wouldn't contemplate this mod unless your fan clutch is dying; the power gains in first/second gear are noticeable, but not really worth the cost unless you have to replace the clutch anyways.

For you guys in the GTA, Schilling Performance in Cambridge (near Kitchener-Waterloo) is a great place to order a Black Magic. They got me an excellent deal, about a hundred bucks cheaper than anywhere else.

Last edited by SilverRocket; 09-06-01 at 12:16 PM.