3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

best ECU UPGRADE for my setup??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-02, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best ECU UPGRADE for my setup??

I have a 5 speed 93 rx-7. Mods include cb, dp, mp, ic, bov, and I think some K&N filters placed under the stock airbox. What would be the best ecu upgrade for my car? I'm looking to buy a used ecu. I've checked out some pettit limited and unlimited ecus along with some PFS purple box ecus. What do you guys think I should go for and what kind of things should I look into before making my decision. Also, what would suit my needs better, a pettit limited or unlimited?

Thanks
Old 12-18-02, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try to save up and see if i could get a Apexi PFC. The PFC is a great unit. Some people are trying to sell theirs on the forums.
Old 12-18-02, 10:48 AM
Adrenaline

Don't even waste your money on PFS purple box. If you plan on getting a lot of mods then you should consider the PFC. The Pettit's unlimited ECU upgrade is pretty good too.
Old 12-18-02, 10:58 AM
HARRRRRRRRR

From what I hear the PFS purple is a piggy back and not as capable as the PFC in high end tuning requirements. More people have experience with the PFC as well which makes it easier to get tuned.
Old 12-18-02, 11:09 AM
Mr. Links

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: best ECU UPGRADE for my setup??

Originally posted by needanrx7
I have a 5 speed 93 rx-7. Mods include cb, dp, mp, ic, bov, and I think some K&N filters placed under the stock airbox. What would be the best ecu upgrade for my car? I'm looking to buy a used ecu. I've checked out some pettit limited and unlimited ecus along with some PFS purple box ecus. What do you guys think I should go for and what kind of things should I look into before making my decision. Also, what would suit my needs better, a pettit limited or unlimited?

Thanks
As far as the Pettit Limited or Unlimited, it really depends on what you are looking to run. The limited is good for up to 1 BAR of boost (14.5 PSI). The unlimited is good for around what the MAP sensor will except (I believe) which is around 17 PSI. It's pre-programmed so you don't need to do anything to it (whether that's good or bad depends on you... for me, it's a good thing).

What ECU is best for you? Well, if you don't want to have your car dyno-tuned (or don't have the means around you for it), then the Pettit ECU's will do just fine. If you want to dyno-tune your car, or have it done, then getting a programmable ECU like the PFS or PFC would better suit your needs.
Old 12-18-02, 11:35 AM
development

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by RecKleSs
Don't even waste your money on PFS purple box. If you plan on getting a lot of mods then you should consider the PFC. The Pettit's unlimited ECU upgrade is pretty good too.
I use this box also, and for street driving I think it's awesome! I have no track experience or plan to go a million miles an hour.
Old 12-18-02, 11:54 AM
DinoDude

I use the PFS Purple box too. I don't know of anybody who ran a faster quarter with a cat - so its just wrong to bad-mouth the PFS PMS. Its a really good system in fact. One setting for essentially stock boost got me through Maryland's tough clean air tests, the intermediate setting 12-13 lbs is for the street, the 3rd setting, 15-16, for track.

What's not to like?
Old 12-18-02, 12:06 PM
development

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by tcb100
I use the PFS Purple box too. I don't know of anybody who ran a faster quarter with a cat - so its just wrong to bad-mouth the PFS PMS. Its a really good system in fact. One setting for essentially stock boost got me through Maryland's tough clean air tests, the intermediate setting 12-13 lbs is for the street, the 3rd setting, 15-16, for track.

What's not to like?
I thought the boost could only be set up to 15psi
(menu 400, 8-15psi) am I wrong? Do you only use race fuel with that boost?
Old 12-18-02, 12:16 PM
HARRRRRRRRR

Originally posted by tcb100

What's not to like?
15-16psi on stock twins = dead twins
Old 12-18-02, 12:37 PM
Mr. Links

Originally posted by ttpowerd

15-16psi on stock twins = dead twins
I wouldn't say that.

I would say that anything over stock levels will reduce the lifecycle of the turbos that much faster. However, even at stock levels, they won't last forever.
Old 12-18-02, 01:06 PM
DinoDude

I use 104 or 107 depending on the track and to be a little more accurate, I run a SOLID 17 lbs through 3rd and 4th. I never use the high setting on the street nor would I use it without race fuel.

It is important to add that my car was dynoed by Peter Farrell & Ray Wilson and left plenty rich so while I am probably a bit on the edge, I'm not over it.

I suppose it might mean dead twins if you want to ride around the street running that kind of boost but 3 or 4, 12 second runs once a week during dragging season is not the end of the world. More wear, probably but no big deal.

The point remains that the PMS is a pretty good unit and will give good performance, still uses the stock ECU for all the other functions of the car that the ecu controls, and can pass "treadmill" clean air tests in Maryland, a tough state. It won't do for singles of course but it works great for the twins.

I also have the Interacq software with datalogging which provides great post-run info on what the car (and driver) was actually doing. And particularly since needanrx7 is looking for used, there are a lot of the PFS units out there. He should be sure to get the updated version. Its a hell of a lot better idea than a pettit or m2 ecu that can't be adjusted.
Old 12-18-02, 05:23 PM
Hi Powr FD's

Im in the same boat... So If I go single Turbo someday Ill want the PowerFC right? not the Unlimited ECU?
Old 12-18-02, 06:17 PM

does anyone know how much more power a pfc would put out rather then a remapped ecu like pettits?
Old 12-18-02, 08:43 PM
wHiTe kNiGhT

Originally posted by af908
does anyone know how much more power a pfc would put out rather then a remapped ecu like pettits?

good question...anyone know, anyone do a dyno with same parts but switch ecus? or somthin along thos lines?thanx
geoff
Old 12-18-02, 09:14 PM
What's an RX-7 ?

as much as you want... there is allot of HP hiding in these maps... That and the PFC is not that expensive, considering what it can give you, I got mine for $1190 w/commander from rx7store, they went up since then but you will easily be able to find a used one for that...
get a pfc geta pfc get a pfc get a pfc get a pfc get a pfc
Old 12-18-02, 09:53 PM
Lives on the Forum

i like haltech.
the PFC would be another good choice.

i understand your question is "for your current set-up" but to have some better suguestions, maybe we should ask you what your goal is with the car. what are your future plans?
all the ecu's people are mentioning that you can find *used* could be that someone has outgrown them. just something to think about. thats my $.02
Old 12-19-02, 11:42 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

I used the PFS purple boxed this past weekend at the track running at 11psi and now one of my rotor is blown. I am not too sure if my engine is weak because it is a mazda reman from Jan 2001 and only 35k. It was the first time I was using it. I have a DP, MP, CB, intake and FMIC. Now I have to fork out 3k for a rebuild. Has this happened to anyone?
Old 12-19-02, 12:06 PM
Lives on the Forum

it has. and it can happen with any EMS.
Old 12-19-02, 01:18 PM
Will u do me a kindness?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Strike up another one for the Purple Motor Eater!!!
Old 12-19-02, 01:54 PM
HDP
A Fistfull of Dollars!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has there ever been a poll on everyones ECU of choice? Why not set up one and tally some votes. I myself, if and when I decide to get one, would want a plug and play ECU that requires no dyno time to run efficiently and offer a margin of safety.
Old 12-19-02, 02:02 PM
HDP
A Fistfull of Dollars!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, and I would probably only go with just bolt on mods.

I say that now, but once the bug bites, I'm in trouble.
Old 12-19-02, 02:38 PM
Mr. Links

Originally posted by HDP
Has there ever been a poll on everyones ECU of choice? Why not set up one and tally some votes. I myself, if and when I decide to get one, would want a plug and play ECU that requires no dyno time to run efficiently and offer a margin of safety.
Pettit or M2 would work fine for what you want.
Old 12-19-02, 07:21 PM
Dan

Ok, take Ryan (aka) dont be a rikki. He ran like a 11.7? with the purple box. If he was to swap it with a pettit ecu would he lose alot of hp, and have a slower et?
If he only lost a tenth or two off his et, then would a programable unit be worth the headache and the lost time and money from a dyno?
Old 12-19-02, 09:37 PM
Mr. Links

Originally posted by Dan
Ok, take Ryan (aka) dont be a rikki. He ran like a 11.7? with the purple box. If he was to swap it with a pettit ecu would he lose alot of hp, and have a slower et?
If he only lost a tenth or two off his et, then would a programable unit be worth the headache and the lost time and money from a dyno?
Check this thread:

https://www.rx7club.com/forum/showth...hreadid=135157

The guy I'm talking about is local to me. He ran 11.77 (Ryan did 11.78 ) on a Pettit ECU (357.2 rwhp). However, he's about maxed out on what he can do, but it's enough for him.

It all depends on the goals for your car. If you have to be in the 400+ rwhp club, then you will have to invest into a programmable ECU (among a whole wallet full of other things). However, if you want reliable power without needing to hit the dyno, the pre-programmed ECU can and will do the trick.

Quick Reply: best ECU UPGRADE for my setup??