2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Loose Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-02, 09:02 PM
LS what?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose Shifter

First off, no flames, I have done a search on this and found nothing!! I have a 90 gxl. About 6 months ago shifter got really loose. I payed no attention to it, not enough time to worry about it. I had the tranny rebuilt about 3 months ago. The guy at the shop told me there is a bushing missing where the shifter goes down into the tranny. It is not the bushing that the big shifter fits into, but the one that actually goes in the transmission. I do remember looking down there one time when the shifter was off, there was a round brown bushing in the center where the small ball on the shifter goes. I called Mazdatrix to figure this out, they said that piece only came on Japanese versions. Can anyone back this up and/or tell me where to get this bushing? They said I could not get it in the states. Thanks for the help and sorry this is so long.
Old 08-14-02, 09:44 PM
I dont know a damn thing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man it may be the way you described it that confused him but just get the bushing kit from a local mazda dealer or parts store could have it. does your shifter go into first real far
Old 08-14-02, 09:47 PM
I dont know a damn thing

Go to a local parts store or they probally wont have it get to your local mazda dealer they will have the bushings because they come in a set just say you need manual trans shifter bushings...i think you may have confused mazdatrix by the way of describing it that wil help describe the way your shifter feels does it shift really far into first or sometimes wont go easy into gear ?
Old 08-14-02, 09:58 PM
Rotary Powered

It sounds like bushings to me.. You can get new ones and install them yourself easily. They should be under $30 I think. I dont remember how much they are, but it is cheap

good luck
Old 08-14-02, 10:08 PM
Lets Go Hokies!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ditto, sounds like a bushing problem. I have never worked on RX7 transmissions, but I think it would be the same for most. A few of us were talking about this very subject when we met up... where were you?
Old 08-14-02, 10:25 PM
LS what?

not the bushings

I figured I would get this response, I know it is confusing, but it is not the bushing "set" that everyone talks about here on the forum. I have a part diagram from mazda here in front of me, the bushing i am talking about fits into part #17-461A. This part is under the shifter (the ball on the end of the shifter fits into it). I will get some pictures and show you all exactly what I am talking about.

Also, there is a lot of play in the shifter, and yes, it does move way into first. However, there in no up and down play, i just replaced the set that everyone talks about a few months ago. Does anyone think it is possible that I have a J-Spec Tranny??

Sorry about the confusion, hope this clears it up a little bit.

Last edited by rgordon1979; 08-14-02 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-14-02, 10:52 PM
Rotary Freak

try to measure what you need and make one out of a suitable material. Garfinkle made a cup shaped bushing for someones drag car one night because they could not get one in time to race. It fit on the bottom of the shift lever on a small ball.
Old 08-14-02, 10:57 PM
20b Tinkerer

mine has up and down as well as 360 deg of play about 1/2 in. in all directions while in gear. im guessing this is bushings right?