3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

Some Royal Purple Info

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-02, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Royal Purple Info

Got an email back from a tech at Royal Purple and thought I would share it with the rest of you. You can draw your own conclusions but I liked what I read.

-----------------------------------------
Royal Purple recommends the use of a SAE 10W30 for your twin turbo rotary.

This product has been recommended by the head of Racing Beat as the only synthetic they have found to increase performance in a rotary an average of 2% (They used to sell and use Amsoil).

www.racingbeat.com

An alternative to Racing Beat would be www.jegs.com

Although the information that you acquired from the web is interesting and is useful if comparing oils using the same basestock or additive packages, it is not quite that simple as portrayed on the website by Mr. Hacker.

It is not possible to compare the finished performance of different motor oils by looking only at zinc content, ash content, pour point, flash point, VI, etc as these are physical properties not finished performance attributes.

I am suspect as to why Amsoil does not publish any zinc %. I believe it to be that they over treat there motor oils with a higher level (which is why they are not API licensed), and in the rotary could lead to excessive combustion deposits in the apex seal, corner seals, and side seals of the rotor.

Royal Purple does not perform ASTM Four Ball Wear tests just like every other oil manufacturer due to the fact that ASTM does not recognize a Four Ball Wear Test as having the slightest bit of relevance in comparing oils of different basestock or additive packages. The test does not have any significance is actually wear results in the field of oils with different additive packages and basestock. It was designed to provide batch to batch quality control for production of the same type of oils, say a hydraulic oil for example.

Royal Purple also offers an ashless two cycle oil that can be added to the gasoline for additional lubrication if you use your car for autocrosses or track days where you are running at consistently high rpms or heavy loads.

The ash content of Royal Purple?s SAE Motor Oils and / or Racing Oils is proprietary but falls within the required limits of API Licensing requirements.

I am a rotorhead, having raced in SCCA for almost 20 years, primarily rotor motors.

Attached is a picture of my RX3 GT3 class car at Mid-Ohio. I am currently building another tubeframe RX7 that should be ready for next year.

Sincerely,

David Canitz

Mechanical Engineer

Technical Services Manager

Royal Purple ltd

1 Royal Purple Lane

Porter, TX 77365

dcanitz@royalpurple.com

--------------------------------

The info he was referring to is the oil analysist that is on the web that gives the ashe and zinc content of most of the other brands on the market. Plus this guy is a rotorhead. Here's a pic of what he races.

Old 07-30-02, 04:34 AM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here was my reply

A common question which has prompted us to search for a reason why Mazda does not recommend synthetics. We've even gone so far as to contact Mazda directly though they were unable to offer any reasoning why. Our best assumption is Mazda based this recommendation on existing synthetic technology when the rotary was first developed a few decades ago. Much has changed in synthetic technology. Royal Purple has been used in several rotary racing applications from SCCA to drag racing in addition to countless street driven rotary's. In addition to burning clean Royal Purple has been proven to increase horsepower in rotary engines. Click on the following link to read what Jim Mederer at Racing Beat has to say about RP.
http://www.racingbeat.com/FRmazda2.htm

Thank you,

Jared Martin
Royal Purple Ltd.
-----Original Message-----
Old 08-08-02, 07:40 PM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

Exclamation Reply from Racing Beat

We use Royal Purple in all of our race engines, but these engines are using
new seals. Our primary concern is that synthetic oils may cause the old
rubber seals to "swell" and deform. Royal Purple indicates that this
shouldn't be a problem, but offers not guarantee. Royal Purple makes more
power than Amsoil, we have proven this.

Best regards,

Jim Langer
Racing Beat, Inc.
714-779-8677
www.racingbeat.com
Old 08-08-02, 07:43 PM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

Cool Another Royal Purple reply

Synerlec is Royal Purple's additive technology and is formulated
into all of our products. Synerlec provides our products with the
exceptional film strength as well as oxidation resistance providing
significantly better protection for your apex seals.
I do recommend a multi-vis oil for your rotary however you don't
need to run such a heavy grade in the summer due to the benefits of
Royal Purple's additive technology. RP SAE 10w30 will provide excellent
performance and protection all year.

Thank you,

Jared Martin
Royal Purple Ltd.
Old 08-08-02, 07:59 PM

Location: "Forecast for tomorrow, a few sprinkles of genius with a chance of doom!"
Yeah a friend of mine only puts royal purple in all his cars. www.Rotarysc.com
Old 08-08-02, 08:04 PM

Location: "Forecast for tomorrow, a few sprinkles of genius with a chance of doom!"
Actually have any of you guys checked out his racecar yet. Its sweet..he has pics on his site above...
Old 08-08-02, 10:20 PM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

Hey Turbo F1

How about getting more info on their intercooler. I've e-mailed them but never received a response. I had a thread on TSF FMIC -vs- RX7F FMIC but no one had the TSF.

Oh and ask them if they use Race 21 or 10w30, if they've ever had any prob's and if they use Purple Ice.
Old 08-09-02, 06:29 PM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

Thumbs up These guys actually reply the next day!

My name is David Canitz. I am RP's Technical Service Manager. I also have raced RX7 / RX3's in SCCA for 22 years now.

The 10W30 is what Mazda recommends for street driving. The stock RX7 is built for heavy duty racing action and does not require running a heavier viscosity oil for your occasional track use and drag racing unless you feel more comfortably or you've heavily modified the car.

I would recommend that for the track days or drag racing that you add Royal Purple Two Cycle TCW III to the gasoline at a 250:1 ratio for increased lubrication of the apex, corner, and side seals in your engine.

Racing Beat switched because they have documented an average 2% increase in horsepower in rotary engines using Royal Purple as compared to Amsoil, Mobil 1 and mineral oils. I do not know if they have tried the RedLine but I would not be surprised if Jim Mederer looked at it.

I personally use our RP Racing 21 in my bridgeported 12A for SCCA GT3 class.

Redline is a quality product and would consider using it if I could not get Royal Purple. However, I strongly believe that RP has a performance advantage in the engine oils.

Pettit is a good rotary shop. I do not know who is private labeling the ProTek R for him. I would recommend using any synthetic ashless (TCW III) two cycle oil as a supplement. Obviously, the Royal Purple is the one I recommend though.

Use our MaxGear 75W90 for both the transmission and limited slip differential as well as the Purple Ice as an additive in the cooling
system at 1 oz per quart of cooling capacity with a quality antifreeze.

Attached is a picture of my current GT3 tubeframe RX3 from Mid-Ohio. I am currently building a new chassis that will have 3rd gen bodywork.

Cheers,

David Canitz
Royal Purple Ltd
Old 08-09-02, 07:08 PM

Great to see a lot of people like this stuff. I'm in the process of getting my new engine installed with my new turbo. I'm got the tranny and differential swapped out now too. I'm also going to be using the 4 oz of 2 cycle with every tank. once I break the motor in I'm go to be using only RP 10W30. Can't wait. I figured even if I don't gain 1 hp, if it will keep the engine cooler it's worth it. Still not too sure about the Purple Ice though. I figure what the heck. I'm going to try a before and after test after everything else it done.