1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Sitting a little crooked..

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sitting a little crooked..

So I recently replaced my shocks and springs with tokico hp's and racing beat springs, and the car drives and handles fine, but the passenger side of teh car sits a little higher than the driver side. I have measured wheel gap and ground clearance on both sides, and the difference is less than an inch and a half, but it is noticeable if you look closely at the car. I have checked to make sure all the springs are seated properly, and I can't seem to figure it out. The car sat level before I did the suspension, so I am a little stumped. I did notice that if you look at the rear axle the right side seems to be lower, with more of the right shock visible than the left. Does anyone have any ideas? If I can't figure it out I'll take it to a shop I guess..
Old 06-14-09, 04:06 PM
JKM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Both me and an internet friend have GSLSEs with Tokico HPs and RB springs, and they both have a problem of the drivers side front sits a little bit lower than the passenger side. This isn't really uncommon, and seems to come from two issues: Either the rubber piece that the spring rests on is worn, or the drivers side of the car is just heavier than the passenger side. Mazdatrix sells a "strut top shim" to help correct the problem. I have some, but I haven't installed them yet. This may not be your problem though, since our rear ends are level, it's just the fronts that are off.

http://www.mazdatrix.com/h3.htm

A second possibility - did you tighten everything while the car was still jacked up?
Old 06-15-09, 08:36 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a similar issue once. Turned out that some of the rubber bushings from the old shocks had been stuck up in the shock tower when I installed the new ones. This caused one side of the car to sit about an inch higher than the other side...
Old 06-16-09, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did tighten things in the rear while the car was still on the jack, now that you mention it I hadn't thought of it before but I suppose that could tweak things, the shim is a decent idea except that I'd like the passenger side lower rather than the driver side higher. I also occasionally get a kind of rubber chirping noise from the right rear of the car during left hand turns, which doesn't always happen and isn't determined by how hard I corner.. Nothing seems to be loose and the sound seems to come from inside the car, but who knows? Thanks for the advice..