2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Will a 93-95 twin turbo motor mount onto a 87 transmission????

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will a 93-95 twin turbo motor mount onto a 87 transmission????

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-05-07, 02:01 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
they have different style clutches
Old 07-05-07, 02:07 PM

so I take it as a no then
Old 07-05-07, 02:23 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A) Why do you ask?

B) Been covered a few times, alot of different answers becuase there were 2 different trannies for rx7's in 87
Old 07-05-07, 02:32 PM

well I plan on putting a rotary motor in a miata and was wondering if it was possable to use a twin turbo motor instead of a single
Old 07-05-07, 02:47 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Well, do some searching under REW swap and things like that. The easy answer is YES it will mount, but get a TII tranny to handle the load, you need a different clutch though and a few other minor things.

13B-REW into a Miata, cool. You know about the sequential turbo's and all thier problems and electronics and needed gizmo's to make them run right?
Old 07-05-07, 02:48 PM
Back in the game

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The REW is a stronger engine, definately reccomended if wanting more than say 450hp.

You can use the 93-95 flywheel with the 87-91 turbo clutch and it will work just fine.
Old 07-05-07, 02:53 PM

yea im starting to read up on the things, it seems like a bit of work but itll be worth it in the end
Old 07-05-07, 03:11 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

There is a good chance you'll change your mind sorry. Do you have the tools? MIG, TIG, Plasma cutter, tubing bender, notcher etc etc... Swap like that I'd imagine will be ALOT of work. What are you going to do about the rear? I don't think the 7" rear will take too much abuse
Old 07-05-07, 08:01 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by NYp8tBaller07
it seems like a bit of work but itll be worth it in the end
I don't.

WTF is this doing in this section anyways?
Aren't you better off asking a Miata forum?

-Ted
Old 07-05-07, 08:05 PM

well im asking in this forum because it has to do with a gen II transmission, but if someone could direct me to a place where it tells me everything I need to do i.e. a link, that would be very helpful.
Old 07-05-07, 09:29 PM
2 Rotors, 1 Turbo

Hit up some searches for some RE and REW swaps, I believe most of those guys use the TII tranny, since it'll hook right up to their TII rear end.
Old 07-06-07, 07:50 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

He's swapping it into a Miata

To the OP - just based on some of your posts, some of your questions & I think you're choosing to ignore mine; let me make this a little more clear - You are not going to be able to bolt this swap in. There is going to be an obscene amount of fabrication involved and it you need to ask what, don't bother. Futhermore there is going to be a silly amount of splicing wires, tracing this and that, alot of highlighting and notewriting on 2 different FSM schematics. For once I am in agreement w/Ted... wtf is going on lately??? Doesn't flying Miata squeeze ~400+ RWHP out of those blocks? You'd be much better served to leave it a boinger ESP if you lack some rotary experience
Old 07-07-07, 08:45 PM

ok then I was just wondering if it could be done w/ a twin so how about a single turbo? how much easyer will it be
Old 07-07-07, 09:18 PM
2 Rotors, 1 Turbo

Oh, into a miata. Google it. I've seen a few rotary miatas, but if I remember right they had a 13b or a 13bt, not an REW. I believe you'd get more information on a Miata forum, since we're kind of partial to our boxy toys. I'm sure some of those guys have done the swap or know of someone who has.
Old 07-07-07, 10:00 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally Posted by NYp8tBaller07
ok then I was just wondering if it could be done w/ a twin so how about a single turbo? how much easyer will it be
I'm the guy that everyone hates that says gimme enough tools and money and anything is possible. I can tell, sorry to say, that this is a little more involved than you think. As said above, check the miata guys for fitment things, we'd be better to help with the rotary thing, the 3rd gen guys are bettewr with the twin thing. Making it single won't make it much easier.
Old 07-07-07, 11:35 PM
Back in the game

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Search for turbo II drivetrain swap info, Basicll, you'll need to do the TII rear end swap which i hear is possible on miatas, then you'll need cutom mounts/brackets for the engine and transmission. The you'll need fuel and coolant plumbing and then youll have to add a 2nd or 3rd gen(i hear the 2nd gen is better) ignition system, then basically you'll have to wire a standalone like a megasquirt or haltech.

All in all, it's not as difficult as others make it out to be, if you have a performance auto shop around, they probably have the ability and the tools and materials to make the mounts and what not.

Just to let you know though, of course, the 13B-t will cost alot less than a REW.
Old 07-07-07, 11:57 PM
rawr

i have to agree with ted and TT on this, you are better off spending the money that would go into swapping in an REW and rebuilding the current motor with stronger internals, getting a supercharger and doing the things to the current motor that can be done, in the end its going to be a better car if you do it that way. less maintenance than a rotary (if you care about that) and a supercharger instead of laggy turbo.
Old 07-09-07, 11:46 AM

ok then dose anyone know of a really good miata fourm, like also like I said I was only wondering if the twin could mount up to the tranny but thanks for all your help
Old 07-09-07, 05:26 PM
Displacement Replacement

these guys are lazy lol....to them if it involves work its not worth doin
if its not a direct bolt in engine swap its not worth doin eh guys!

if the tranny bolts up ...then do it..... buy a jd front clip and you will have everything needed to make the engine run...make some custom engine mounts ,,,,its only $120cdn here for a custom driveshaft to be made....
your good to go OBVIOUSLY theres a bit of work to be done

or you could always put a klze and make your own individual throttlebodies out of hayabusa throttlebodies drop that in your miata with a standalone
theres a guy makin 231whp all motor with that set up
heres a pic with a klze in a miata
You can get all the power you need outta the B6 with the money you spend on buy a rotary engine and everything to make it work.......you could get the HP rebuild kit from www.importperformanceparts.net complete forged internals for $940 for a B6 another $500 for machine work plus a turbo kit....and you have an engine that will make a hell of alot more power for less money than tryin to get a
stock 13brew to work

and if you have a BP in your miata even better just get a jdm BPT with a bigger turbo.....easy 350 hp

thank god all car guys don't have the same attitudes about having to do a bit of work to get what they want accomplished .....we'd still be ridin horse and buggy because makin a car is to much work
Attached Thumbnails Will a 93-95 twin turbo motor mount onto a 87 transmission????-itb.jpg  

Last edited by FC3Sdrift; 07-09-07 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-09-07, 05:43 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Its probably not the amount of work, but the number of possible problems that can occur, and problems cost money...And with projects like these, you plan for 10K and they end up costing 15k.
Dude, if you have the money, the space, tools and time on your hands, go for it. But just be sure what you get your self into. And planting a TII engine would be so much easier than a REW...

I remember someone making a post about a 911 that was for sale and it had a TII engine in it. Do what you want, its your car.
Old 07-09-07, 05:57 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by FC3Sdrift

(...)

thank god all car guys don't have the same attitudes about having to do a bit of work to get what they want accomplished .....we'd still be ridin horse and buggy because makin a car is to much work
Wow, you talk a lot of **** huh...

I never said it's not possible.
Throw enough money at anything, and it can be done.

I said it wasn't worth it.

If you're loaded, or don't give a **** on what you spend your money on, then by all means, go for it.

-Ted
Old 07-09-07, 06:57 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Whatever you say there kid. Gander around and figure out what my pj is and you'll eat those words. What I'm saying is that kids like you don't know what's involved with a pj like that and your answer of

buy a jd front clip and you will have everything needed to make the engine run...make some custom engine mounts ,,,,its only $120cdn here for a custom driveshaft to be made....
Right cuz the 7" Miata rear will handle the power. What about Exhast? What about intake? Plumbing, heating, A/C, P/S... it'll all slide right in tiggity tight drift nice right?

Here's another great one
and if you have a BP in your miata even better just get a jdm BPT with a bigger turbo.....easy 350 hp
Make sure you get the JDM BPT, do they offer a drift version? I saw today on E-bay a "JDM DRIFT Master Cylinder" Dooood, you should totally rock out and BIN!!

Ted - we need more threads like this, then maybe would wouldn't both think each other was a douche
Old 07-15-07, 09:07 PM

yea I have everything to get it done and its not like im doing heating or A/c im keeping it as simple as possible, and I KNOW what I have to do but it just looks like im going to just use a single turbo, than a twin but thanks for your input