Microtech Area is for discussing Microtech systems

Microtech My Unorthodox Version Of Locking Timing

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-04, 01:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow My Unorthodox Version Of Locking Timing

From day one I was unable to set my timing correctly. No matter how well we stabbed the CAS, We could not adjust timing to 5 ATDC, or even lock It In at 0 degrees, as suggested from others. I'd line up the Yellow mark to the pin on the Main Crank, start the car up, go to Lock Timing, press Mode - than go for It. I was 8 degrees off the Yellow pin (If we are to Include the 5 ATDC as prescribed by Microtech). Even offsetting It one tooth off, to counteract the difference, did nil. Rotating the CAS did change the timing though, but even with it as far as it can go towards the front of the engine, we were still seeing around 8 degrees. Car ran great, but the timing was still technically slightly advanced.

I decided to take off the CAS and actually grind out some material. I did an extended port along the pathway the CAS slot follows. In doing so, I was able to bring the CAS further out towards the Engine to allow me to match up the respective marks. I currently have my Static Timing set to 0 as I do the pointer - 0 ATDC.

Prior to this I swapped CAS' and Leading Coil Packs to no avail. Has anyone had simular experiences with setting their timing? I know rxturbo_2 had simular Issues. Any consequences to this or am I In the clear as long as the CAS and the LT8 are seeing the same thing..Hmm, could this have been corrected with the TIMtrim function?
Old 08-16-04, 03:07 PM
Back at it again!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoah buddy!!!!!! You did what?!?!? You grinded out that "pathway" on the CAS?!?!? I'm not tryin to bust your *****, but are you the type that does things the hard way?? All you had to do to retard your timing was to pull out the CAS and move it a tooth. That's it!! No grinding necessary!!!
Let me get this straight, you were manually adjusting the CAS left and right with the timing LOCKED, and the timing marks did not budge?? Check your timing light and also make sure the "clip/ pickup" that goes on your trailing spark plug wire is in the right direction (check it closely, it should be written on it). Also, make sure you didn't make any unneccessary adjustments for the timing (ex: adjustments to the timing split, etc.).
When I set my timing, I would hold the revs around 2000 to get a steady reading, and not at idle. Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-04, 04:27 PM

I'm not sure what part you misunderstood. I thought I was pretty clear on how I was unable to get the balance right. Whether doing It In the traditional way or even offsetting the tooth to the CAS It was the same old result. Under *locked* mode I was able to get a varation with the CAS whenever I rotated It...It just was not enough to draw the pointer and mark to match. So I grinded out the CAS to accomadate clearance.

I used the L1 Spark plug Wire and I followed It to a tee. I get asked the question quite often as for - doing It the hard way. I guess It could be Interpreted as YES, yes I do. I don't do anything half-*** but I don't do anything hacked either, this was the only resort. My car Is running very good nonetheless.
Old 08-24-04, 06:05 PM
AKA Poindexter

Bad Timing light is your problem.
Old 08-24-04, 08:25 PM

The timing light I used was brand new! It was recommended to me from a fellow forum member as he used It with great results. If It's any concilation (particularily my own) I'll confirm the timing set with another gun and report back.
Old 08-25-04, 01:06 AM
AKA Poindexter

Please do. I have a Innovus digital timing light, I do not use it on a daily basis, but my pickup went bad. This was giving false readings on my friends race car. Luckily Snap-On honors my warranty and I got it fixed up quick, but it nearly cost a motor if we didnt double check the timing with a known good gun.
Old 08-25-04, 03:52 PM

I've got the Innova Equus model # 3551. I'll verify with another for consistency nonetheless.

http://www.iequus.com/assets/images/...ights_body.gif
Old 08-29-04, 09:57 PM

I set out to find another timing gun....Steve Kan was In Toronto this weekend tuning some 7's and he was Incidently using an Identical Gun that I have which belongs to eVilrotor.

Just a disclaimer, and In no way I am proclaiming a "be warned" testiment on setting timing due to having to do the necessary steps as I did. I just simply stated what worked for me. I have been told by Aaron Cake that he too has come across this strange phenominon too when he had set timing on other cars too.