2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

New chip available for S4 TII's

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-03, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New chip available for S4 TII's

Some of you already know that I've been spending a lot of time figuring out the stock ECU. To make a long story short, I've gotten to the point where I can make useful mods to it and struck up an agreement with a Digital Tuning Inc to sell the chips.

At this point, stage 1 is available and consists of the following features:

1. fuel cut removal (built in FCD). This mod removes the fuel cut from the ECU without needing an external device. Needs no adjustments and is "set" closer than could possibly be done with an external unit.

2. AWS removal. No more rev to 3k rpms on startup

3. Anti-flood. Clear a light flooding by cranking with the throttle at WOT instead of popping hood/removing EGI fuse/cranking/re-install fuse then start.

Check out the website www.pocketlogger.com for more details/pricing/ordering info.

There will be more to come in the future, next on the list is mods to support 720's as secondaries without the need for an S-AFC - stay tuned!

-Henrik
Old 11-22-03, 02:47 AM
not sure anymore

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

i am so getting this. i hope its not cheep ****
Old 11-22-03, 03:01 AM
not sure anymore

Re: New chip available for S4 TII's

There will be more to come in the future, next on the list is mods to support 720's as secondaries without the need for an S-AFC - stay tuned!

-Henrik [/B][/QUOTE]

any idea how long it will be before this comes out!
Old 11-22-03, 03:16 AM
Open up! Search Warrant!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Henrik, You are the man.
Old 11-22-03, 11:17 AM

sounds cool!
Old 11-22-03, 11:22 AM

NIce!

do you think you could do a mod ecu to run closer to 100% duty cycle with stock feul system?
Old 11-22-03, 02:24 PM
HAILERS

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Let's see if I can word this right:

From what I understand, if the conventional fcd (DIY or RacingBeat) is installed, then the ECU thinks its at only 8.6 psi once you reach that point and still thinks 8.6 even if you go to 10-11 or above. So the ECU gives you the fuel required for 8.6 and no more.
Now I read somewhere that the fuel maps in the stock ECU are good for above 10psi, but you never see those maps because.....you hit fuel cut.
Sooooo......does your fcd let the ECU use those maps that are above fuel cut, say at 10, 11, 12 etc???? Or will it just let the ECU only see maps for 8.6 and below???
And just to cover myself.....I know everything I read or think I have read, don't/are not always true. Thank you.
Old 11-22-03, 02:25 PM
spending too much money..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not bad pricing at all!!!
Old 11-22-03, 02:54 PM
I'm a boost creep...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by nathantheman
do you think you could do a mod ecu to run closer to 100% duty cycle with stock feul system?
There is nothing stopping you pushing the ECU to 100% duty cycle.
Old 11-22-03, 02:59 PM

how long before you guys get one together for S4 NA cars? I would be interested.....
Old 11-22-03, 03:03 PM
STUCK. I got SNOWNED!!!!!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
yeah, what's this ECU do? One that lets you run 720's (unless the stock 550cc injectors CAN flow enough fuel and just don't due to the duty cycle problem) and push 12PSI with the correct fuel maps would ROCK... I'd be willing to buy one...
Old 11-22-03, 03:11 PM
I'm a boost creep...

Re: New chip available for S4 TII's

Originally posted by Henrik
Anti-flood. Clear a light flooding by cranking with the throttle at WOT instead of popping hood/removing EGI fuse/cranking/re-install fuse then start.
How does the S4 ECU know the throttle is fully open? The TPS can't read more than a ~10% opening.
Old 11-22-03, 03:35 PM
HAILERS

Just in case.....I was not ragging on you in any way. For ninety bucks you'd get a fuel cut defender, anti-flood and the removal of the 3000rpm start up. That's competitive with anything out there on the market. It's just that I've already got a DIY fcd and my car does not flood and the 3000rpm for 17sec does not seem to bother me. But I am interested to a point and think it'd be a good deal for anyone that has no fcd, hates 3000rpm startups and has periodically flooding conditions. Thanks for taking an interest in a fifteen year old car.
Old 11-22-03, 06:03 PM
Open up! Search Warrant!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you shouldn't run the injector duty cycle past 80%
Old 11-22-03, 06:33 PM
I'm a boost creep...

You shouldn't, but you can.
Old 11-22-03, 07:31 PM
Former Moderator. RIP Icemark.

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
3. Anti-flood. Clear a light flooding by cranking with the throttle at WOT instead of popping hood/removing EGI fuse/cranking/re-install fuse then start.
The normal un-flooding for all S4 FCs is too hold the throttle all the way down anyway. The remove fuse thing was done by people who didn't read the owners manual.

With that said and done, what makes your Anti-flood any differnet than anything stock?
Old 11-22-03, 10:32 PM
HAILERS

I've never read a owners manual. I have a *problem* with putting your foot to the floor trying to unflood a series four and not taking action to keep the injectors from adding even more fuel. By the way, does the series five cut the fuel off when you floor the car trying to unflood it. I assumed it did, either by magic or sensing thru the tps that the throttle was full open.

Oh, about the 100 percent duty cycle. Just how do you do that with just a normal, no outside influence car?

And someone tell me how the water temp switch in the bottom of the radiator will eliminate the 3000 approx cold startup, by the removal of the connector off it. Removing the plug/plugs on a unmade circuit can't really be doing much (I know Henrik isn't suggesting that, I'm just curious, been curious for years now about that).
Old 11-22-03, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by HAILERS
I've never read a owners manual. I have a *problem* with putting your foot to the floor trying to unflood a series four and not taking action to keep the injectors from adding even more fuel. By the way, does the series five cut the fuel off when you floor the car trying to unflood it. I assumed it did, either by magic or sensing thru the tps that the throttle was full open.
I don't think that it has ever been proven the S5 cuts fuel on WOT on crank.

Remember WOT on the S4 turns the MOP on full. Again I don't know enough about the S5 ECU to say that it does that durning cranking. Where does the TPS stages set at on the S5?

So, I am wondering what he is trying on the S4 to give it" Anti-flood", since TPS activation on the S4 is a single stage and at what??? 1/3 of throttle???

I am just wondering what he is thinking and how he is doing it.
Old 11-22-03, 11:18 PM
HAILERS

Maybe he's got the cut outfit looking at the tps input voltage and the engine speed. When *the outfit* sees rpm below, say 100rpm, and the tps is at full voltage, *the outfit* says *hey, we're flooded and trying to start so cut the injectors off!*.......or something like that.
Old 11-22-03, 11:32 PM
not sure anymore

How long until you will get the chips that work with 720cc secondary
Old 11-24-03, 01:31 AM
I'm a boost creep...

Originally posted by HAILERS
...does the series five cut the fuel off when you floor the car trying to unflood it. I assumed it did, either by magic or sensing thru the tps that the throttle was full open.
You are correct (except about the magic).
...about the 100 percent duty cycle. Just how do you do that with just a normal, no outside influence car?
ECU's don't calculate injector duty cycle (why would they?), they calculate injector pulsewidths. Modify the engine enough (particularly with a fuel controller increasing fuel flow) and eventually the injector pulsewidth will match engine cycle duration, which gives a 100% duty cycle. Then you need bigger injectors. Actually you should have put them in at 80%.

Originally posted by Icemark
I don't think that it has ever been proven the S5 cuts fuel on WOT on crank.
The FSM says is does, pages F1-48 and F2-44. Dunno if that's proof, but the FSM's generally reliable.

Last edited by NZConvertible; 11-24-03 at 01:37 AM.
Old 11-24-03, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by NZConvertible
The FSM says is does, pages F1-48 and F2-44. Dunno if that's proof, but the FSM's generally reliable.
So it does, at least that is clear up. I suspect that since he has not replied though, he really hadn't thought it out for a S4.
Old 11-24-03, 12:33 PM

Received 2,640 Likes on 1,870 Posts
if you can get to the programming of the ecu you could tune it so that at 0-500rpms and 100tps is cuts fuel, or something like that.

the switch in the bottom of the radiator, it supposedly turns the emissions on. ive never tested it to see exactly what it does, but i do know that when its bad/unplugged/harness pinched under the battery box, that the car does not pass smog.

mike
Old 11-24-03, 12:42 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys,

This week for Turkey Day, we are offering the Rtek7 upgrade for an introductory price of $80/$60 (installed/ not installed).
Offer good from now until Nov. 30th. Because of the holiday, if you order this week, we suggest not sending in your ECU until Monday. We will be closed Thursday and Friday. We will turn around your ECU in one business day.

We are in the process of uploading a completely new website. It should be ready in an hour or so.

Regards,
Mike Montalvo
digital tuning, inc.
www.pocketlogger.com
Old 11-24-03, 01:08 PM

whys the link not working or maybe the sights not up ?

Quick Reply: New chip available for S4 TII's