Interior / Exterior / Audio Talk about interior and exterior mods including audio.

leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-03, 08:37 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leather seats

Ok kidz, I have had it up to here with searching the forum for info on the best leather, recovering, changing color, etc... In this thread I will attempt to build one definitive database about fd leather seats.

I will post pics in this thread for the main manufactures along with any insight I can provide. those of you that have additional info, please post accordingly

FWIW the people from califonia and maybe florida have all the options and all the choices. you guys rock. I realize if you live in california or florida none of this applies because there is a guy around the corner that tans it in his garage and sews with golden magic thread..lol
Old 01-27-03, 08:41 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Custom Leather. This comes from companies like www.garrettleather.com/ Usually you will be provided hides which you may or may not have to cut and sew yourself. Many of the companies can not tell you why they are better than seat covers but they are certainly much more expensive. Because of this cost i would think most of us would want to go with custom race seats instead of refinish the stock seats.

I know a little about tanning and that seems to be the magic key to quality. Leather thickness is also a key. As there are no industry standards that the custom tanners care to share, I can not help you in here. I recommend searching the ferrarie sights and reading their links
Old 01-27-03, 08:42 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

For the rest of us, here is the meat of the thread, seat covers. My research has uncovered the main players. Please add more as you see fit.

Custom factory interiors
Katzkin
classic soft trim

Last edited by keynote22; 01-27-03 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-27-03, 08:49 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Custom factory Interiors from leather seats.com

Here are some pics from this company. A couple of thing I will say about these seats. First, install seems to be a big key to the success of a factory look. Installers have suggested heat guns and rubber deadblow hammers to get the leather to stretch tight across the seat. As you can see, there is a lot of gathering across the surface of the seat. This is a common issue with this company. Other companies offer what is known as their luxury line, which basically means more padding and pleats or "gathers" are sewn into the leather to make it look more comfortable. Unfortunately, this company does not have an option that will help avoid this look.

Old 01-27-03, 09:06 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Katzkin from sure-fit

katzkin I found at more local shops than any other. this seat has a much different look. katzkin offers luxury with more pleats and sports with less. they also have special edition seats. I have seen these seats installed and sat in them. The seat cover has more foam padding on the backing than the factory seat which naturally causes them to puff out more than the factory seats. They offer custom color inserts as well as suede inserts. The extreme collection is pretty cool with colored inserts and matching zig zag stitched thread. This seems to be the catch all company that everyone knows about. Once again, I was not successful with their customer service department. They could not tell me why their product was any better than the next.

Last edited by keynote22; 01-27-03 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-27-03, 09:19 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

one thing that does annoy me about katzkin is that they advertise italian leather seats. This is a stretch as most of their seats are not italian leather and they could not tell me which are. Italian leather does not seem to be an option you can order. but I got different information each time I called so if you find out please let us know. As many of you know the factory seats are not entirely leather. After market seat companies wont tell you that they copy the factory design which means some of it is leather and some of it is not. I'll let someone else tell us where the plastic is.
Old 01-27-03, 09:25 PM

doesn't it feel better if the leather isn't pulled so tight and flat. I know in my parents land cruiser, i can't stand sitting for to long. While in say a buick thats leather isn't pulled so tightly you fit right in and its really comfortable. Also the black leather seats look like a lazy boy.
Old 01-27-03, 09:37 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

classic soft trim.

this company has its **** together. they have many of the same options as katzkin but their sight is not as easy to navigate. They are the only after market seat company to have oem status with several auto manufactures. they buy their leather from the same tannery as BMW. They were they only comapnay to tell me with out prompting that their seats have some vinyl pannels in them per factory specs. BTW they provide special edition miata seats on their sights. Once again they have a sport smooth seat and a luxury gatherd/puffy seat. In my quest for the perfectly smooth leather seat, they gave me some piece of mind. It seems that many sports cars do not have foam backings on the leather. As a result is rests against the seating backing which rests agains the metal frame. In an effort to provide more support and comfort, all seat covers from this company have a protective foam backing that rests against the leather. The pro is more comfort. the con is that the seats will not be as smooth as the factory. but, if you visit the sight, you will see that the smooth collection is about as flat as you can get. This might be company propaganda but it sounds reasonable. FWIW katzkin seats also have foam backings. Customer sevice/receptionist was not so good but she quickly appologized for not being able to answer my questions and hooked me into the regional sales managers voice mail. He was da man. We talked about tanning techniques, what they ment in terms of wear and tear and why his company was the best. He was they only one that had an answer: Quote they are the largest and the best. They are the only one to have quality control good enough to be oem approved. Thier leather comes from the same place as BMW's and is at the same level. It is key to note that tannerys offer quality levels. So italian leather doesnt mean much as italians make crap too.===thats my paraphrase there. They are thje only company to offer factory warranties on thier product which any more are good for 60k miles depending on the car manufacturer. Many dealership use their products to switch cloth seat to leather with the approval of the manufacturer. They were recommended by all 3 mazda dealerships in my area. Ok ok Im talking them up to make me feel better about my impending purchase. But as I said, they also had the most to say.

I am hoping that one of you will be able to provide pics from this company as i think this is they way i will go. I will wait for a few weeks to see if there is a response and then have my seats redone and post pics here.
Old 01-27-03, 09:42 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

factory leather.

Factory leather seat covers are still available for $1100 a piece. I will comment on the foam backing info once I have my covers off. I will say that i really like the thick slick feel that the factory seats have. All after market seat shop I went to said that the thick feel is the reult of age and its a bad thing. As leather ages, it toughens up--I have been told. It seems I cant buy old hard smooth leather seats. The only advantage I can see to buying factory covers is that thy will not have gathers/pleats. At that price, id go with a4s
Old 01-27-03, 10:01 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Originally posted by tk5dan
doesn't it feel better if the leather isn't pulled so tight and flat. I know in my parents land cruiser, i can't stand sitting for to long. While in say a buick thats leather isn't pulled so tightly you fit right in and its really comfortable. Also the black leather seats look like a lazy boy.
Yes, the gathered/puffy look is associated with luxury and quality as you say. But, you can have comfort and smooth depending on the padding selection.

The gathered/puffy is highly desireable to some. Didnt mean to seem down on it.
Old 01-28-03, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eh, guys. Buy a German FD you will always have great leather seats.

Tobias
Old 01-28-03, 04:18 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

**** leather when you can get ULTRALEATHER a synthetic leather made from polyester............ I have it and it is the same **** on the R1 seats, but not suede.

So now u have 2 versions to choose from and they are maintainence free and tougher then leather.....

It is sooo soft, yet strong........... and best of all it breathes.......... No more wet back syndrome from sitting on a leather seat......... thank god!!!!
Old 01-28-03, 05:49 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Originally posted by BATMAN
**** leather when you can get ULTRALEATHER a synthetic leather made from polyester............ I have it and it is the same **** on the R1 seats, but not suede.

So now u have 2 versions to choose from and they are maintainence free and tougher then leather.....

It is sooo soft, yet strong........... and best of all it breathes.......... No more wet back syndrome from sitting on a leather seat......... thank god!!!!
please provide pics and contact sources for the product.
Old 01-28-03, 05:55 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

more custom seats. these were sewn by a forum member.

https://www.rx7club.com/forum/showth...custom+leather
Old 01-28-03, 06:08 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

The pics look just like real leather.......... high quality leather that is soft yet tough.....

I have samples of both that I can mail to u........
Old 01-28-03, 06:12 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

I have a direct in with the source..........

I have all the swatches.

If u like to see all of them I will require a $50.00 deposit plus shipping to send them out to you.

When ur finished with selecting them I will refund the $50.00 in full granted that all of the swatches are returned unmarked and in original condition.

Once u decide which one(s) u like I can get the materials out to u.

U'll also find that the folks that will sew them will love how easy they are to work with.......

This is some advance stuff made in Japan....

Last edited by BATMAN; 01-28-03 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-28-03, 06:16 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally posted by keynote22
Custom factory Interiors from leather seats.com

Here are some pics from this company. A couple of thing I will say about these seats. First, install seems to be a big key to the success of a factory look. Installers have suggested heat guns and rubber deadblow hammers to get the leather to stretch tight across the seat. As you can see, there is a lot of gathering across the surface of the seat. This is a common issue with this company. Other companies offer what is known as their luxury line, which basically means more padding and pleats or "gathers" are sewn into the leather to make it look more comfortable. Unfortunately, this company does not have an option that will help avoid this look.

I feel so honored to have my cars seats in your thread.

For what its worth, I have had so many compliments on my seats. they look better than stock IMHO, and they are way more comforitable.
Old 01-28-03, 06:20 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

When the leather is loose like that it kinda looks like and American car seat..........

Just an observation............
Old 01-28-03, 06:30 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally posted by BATMAN
When the leather is loose like that it kinda looks like and American car seat..........

Just an observation............
They have different designs, 3 actually.

1) pleated like I got
2) euro style with the holes in it
3) "Micro-fiber" AKA Fake suede inserts.

I would have opted for # 3, but they said its not solid black, more like a greyish black and I wanted a bad *** interior.
Old 01-28-03, 06:36 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Zerobanger rocks!!!! you were my inspiration for this thread. your detailed descriptions and pics are an inspiration to would be thread posters. I couldnt find your original thread nor could I remember whos seats they were. but I did have the pic and the company. thank you for your input as the luxury look is extremely popular.
Old 01-28-03, 06:52 PM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Batman,

I would love if you would post some pics...

I myself have thought about doing the conversion from tan to black...

I have a 94 so its a lil simpler with the seats and carpet and floor mat...

The only thing about the leather seats is that I would like to keep the factory (or something similar) seatbelt holder....

Also, I have heard that painting the tan plastic on the seats occasionally peels and needs redone...

If possible I was thinking about getting them carbon fibered....That I think would take care of the paint issue and look pretty unique to boot!
Old 01-28-03, 06:55 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

so batman, your seats would be custom...meaning one would have to sew them themselves or find someone to do it?
Old 01-28-03, 07:42 PM

No link to "Classic Soft Trim"?
Old 01-28-03, 08:25 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

http://www.classicsofttrim.com/index.html

classic soft trim
Old 01-28-03, 08:53 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally posted by keynote22
so batman, your seats would be custom...meaning one would have to sew them themselves or find someone to do it?
They were custom made and I had to find someone to sew them.