Fuel Slosh Issues Part 2. New solution by Holley revealed. - Page 4 - RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum



3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by: Elite Rotary Shop

Fuel Slosh Issues Part 2. New solution by Holley revealed.

Reply
 
 
Old 05-17-17, 03:49 PM
  #76
Rotary Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: sydney
Posts: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S2005 View Post
Maybe give the filter a check to see if it's getting clogged at all with the residual oil, last I heard it was ok up to a certain amount
Last meeting we ran through 300 litres of fuel, drained the tank after the weekend for somewhere around 12~13 litres left. If the mat was separating the oil, the dregs would be like soup, at around a 3:1 ratio....certainly ran down into the armpit just like usual. Doubt it's an issue, at least using Micro 2T.

Feed still sell their in-tank thing too, I understand that's reasonably effective for track use and goes with all years, if those old covers are elusive.
billyboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 06:46 PM
  #77
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary
 
Valkyrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Japan
Posts: 4,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
Last meeting we ran through 300 litres of fuel, drained the tank after the weekend for somewhere around 12~13 litres left. If the mat was separating the oil, the dregs would be like soup, at around a 3:1 ratio....certainly ran down into the armpit just like usual. Doubt it's an issue, at least using Micro 2T.

Feed still sell their in-tank thing too, I understand that's reasonably effective for track use and goes with all years, if those old covers are elusive.
FEED doesn't actually make it, a company called Original Box does. FEED just sells them. I bought one from them last week.

I can't say for sure whether it works or not, but I did do eight laps at race pace with a bit more than half a tank, and I didn't have any fuel issues. I'll look today and see how much fuel I have left. This particular track is mostly fast right-handers, so it's possible I would have been fine one way or another. OTOH, I'm not sure how accurate my fuel gauge is because you have to adjust and modify the float arm...
Valkyrie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 10:56 PM
  #78
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
BLUE TII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: CA
Posts: 6,143
If someone wants one in the states I saw Vivid racing advertises it for $150.

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...150743893.html

-edit- you can see how the fuel level sender mounts to it here-


Last edited by BLUE TII; 05-17-17 at 11:02 PM.
BLUE TII is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 11:25 PM
  #79
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary
 
Valkyrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Japan
Posts: 4,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE TII View Post
If someone wants one in the states I saw Vivid racing advertises it for $150.

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...150743893.html

-edit- you can see how the fuel level sender mounts to it here-

I highly recommend you get some stainless safety wire to hold it down, since otherwise it basically just sits there. The pump mount is the only thing holding it in place, otherwise.
Valkyrie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 11:51 AM
  #80
My girl
iTrader: (3)
 
Houstonderk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Andrews AFB, MD
Posts: 1,967
That big box fits through the fuel pump hole? Looks larger, but would be interesting to try.
Houstonderk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 12:53 PM
  #81
SideWayZ The Only Way
iTrader: (11)
 
FD3S2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Davie, Florida
Posts: 4,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonderk View Post
That big box fits through the fuel pump hole? Looks larger, but would be interesting to try.
Yea I can't see that fitting in the small opening of the gas tank. Let alone if you even drop the tank.. maybe they have a different model or had to be assembled in the tank?
FD3S2005 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 06:16 PM
  #82
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary
 
Valkyrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Japan
Posts: 4,039
The box is actually two pieces that you assemble in the tank.
Valkyrie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 11:23 PM
  #83
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: sb
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
The box is actually two pieces that you assemble in the tank.
This. **** nitrile gloves for this install, get those bigassed yellow kitchen cleaning gloves.
dguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 03:50 AM
  #84
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary
 
Valkyrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Japan
Posts: 4,039
...I did it bare-handed...

I only had half a tank, though.

Gas is a bitch on your arms, but not so bad on hands...
Valkyrie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 06:11 AM
  #85
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (9)
 
$lacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 866
Just run low and then drain the tank.
I drained mine into a big gas jug via the drain bolt on the bottom. Then put the gas back in when I was finished
$lacker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 02:18 PM
  #86
Lousy Crew Chief
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 856
Anyone have more pics of this FEED set up? Possibly in tank? Interested in this. Price seems right and especially so since the Hyperion covers are long gone.

Matt
Mrmatt3465 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 05:21 PM
  #87
Make an assessment...
iTrader: (2)
 
speedjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,046
I'd like to see more pics of that FEED box as well. I've seen it on RHDJapan but couldn't tell too much about it. Do you remove the plastic box in the tank or does this sit inside that? Does this have flapper doors or anything to allow fuel in from the sides and hold it there?
speedjunkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 06:38 PM
  #88
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary
 
Valkyrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Japan
Posts: 4,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
I'd like to see more pics of that FEED box as well. I've seen it on RHDJapan but couldn't tell too much about it. Do you remove the plastic box in the tank or does this sit inside that? Does this have flapper doors or anything to allow fuel in from the sides and hold it there?

no, yes, yes.
Valkyrie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-17, 03:25 PM
  #89
Make an assessment...
iTrader: (2)
 
speedjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
no, yes, yes.
Cool, thanks! Maybe I'll look into this instead of Hydramat then.

Does anyone know if dual pumps on a CJ Motorsports hanger will work with this? I assume so since you don't have to remove the plastic bucket.

Last edited by speedjunkie; 05-24-17 at 03:30 PM.
speedjunkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-17, 02:33 AM
  #90
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary
 
Valkyrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Japan
Posts: 4,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
Cool, thanks! Maybe I'll look into this instead of Hydramat then.

Does anyone know if dual pumps on a CJ Motorsports hanger will work with this? I assume so since you don't have to remove the plastic bucket.
It's probably wide enough to fit dual pumps as long as they're right next to each other and the filter socks are both pointing towards the front of the car.

I have heard that cars with these will run completely out of gas faster than a stock car, though. That's pretty much a non-issue for a track car, of course.

Removing the stock baffles and piping an extra-large Hydramat (or one of the larger cross-shaped ones) straight to the fuel pump(s) (remove the stock socks) might actually be a better solution. You might have to do a bit of fabrication regarding the fittings, though.
Valkyrie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-17, 11:22 AM
  #91
Lousy Crew Chief
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 856
How would this change how fast you run out of gas? Seems like all it does is help keep fuel at the pump. Not sure how that would change how you run out of gas. Unless you're referring to fuel level indication because gas in the slosh bucket is not indicated with the float?

How exactly is this box held down? Or do you just set it in the tank and the pump hangar holds it in place?

Matt
Mrmatt3465 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-17, 03:28 PM
  #92
Make an assessment...
iTrader: (2)
 
speedjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
It's probably wide enough to fit dual pumps as long as they're right next to each other and the filter socks are both pointing towards the front of the car.

I have heard that cars with these will run completely out of gas faster than a stock car, though. That's pretty much a non-issue for a track car, of course.

Removing the stock baffles and piping an extra-large Hydramat (or one of the larger cross-shaped ones) straight to the fuel pump(s) (remove the stock socks) might actually be a better solution. You might have to do a bit of fabrication regarding the fittings, though.
I'm using the CJ Motorsports hanger but I don't remember which way the socks are pointing. They fit in the stock plastic bucket, but I wasn't sure if this had the same footprint or if it was more narrow.

I'm wondering as well how this would affect how quickly the car runs out of gas. That's odd. I've run out of gas on the street and I still had three gallons of fuel left. I'm assuming it's because of the plastic bucket in there not allowing fuel over the sides and to get to the pumps. So I'm thinking about removing that bucket anyway and working something else like this box.

For a while now I've been planning on using Hydramat, but I'm still leery about premix, the lifetime of the Hydramat itself (and what it does if and when it fails), and also how to hook up the lines to the fuel pumps. I bought an extra fuel tank so I can cut the top off of it and install Hydramat or some internal surge tank and then weld it back together, if in fact I'll have to cut it in half. I imagine I will though. And I removed the filter portion from an old pump sock and threaded a nipple into it and I think that would work, but I'm just not sure about how long that will work. I was planning on using two smaller Hydramats, one in each rear corner of the tank, and then linking them together and then separate them to each pump again, that way if one Hydramat or one pump fails, it will still provide fuel. Or, two smaller mats and then one in the middle with three fittings on it and run that to the pumps. However, a surge tank or something like this box would be much easier.
speedjunkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-17, 06:36 PM
  #93
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary
 
Valkyrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Japan
Posts: 4,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmatt3465 View Post
How would this change how fast you run out of gas? Seems like all it does is help keep fuel at the pump. Not sure how that would change how you run out of gas. Unless you're referring to fuel level indication because gas in the slosh bucket is not indicated with the float?



How exactly is this box held down? Or do you just set it in the tank and the pump hangar holds it in place?

Matt
Like I said earlier, the best thing to do is wire it down, but the holder will hold it down.

I think the reason it affects range slightly is because the holes in the baffle itself aren't flush with the bottom. They're raised slightly.
Valkyrie is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
[email protected]
Build Threads
32
04-03-17 08:14 PM
Sammy Built
NW For Sale/ Wanted/ Classifieds
10
12-09-15 12:45 PM
Christo19
1st Generation RX-7 (1979-1985) Vehicles
8
09-12-15 01:50 PM
Sammy Built
3rd Generation RX-7 (1993-2002) Parts
20
09-08-15 03:08 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.


All content Copyright 2007 by Internet Brands, Inc.