3rd Gen General Discussion The place for non-technical discussion about 3rd Gen RX-7s or if there's no better place for your topic

94 R2 w 31k miles for $50,000?

Old 10-20-17, 12:22 AM
  #1  
Full Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: California
Posts: 78
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 R2 w 31k miles for $50,000?

Just watching Youtube and Doug Dumero reviewed a 94 Silver R2 with only 31k miles thats on sale for $50,000... Bit too much?

Also, its interesting to hear about how Stock FD drives like...
Singlo99 is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 01:23 AM
  #2  
Put it in the microwave!
iTrader: (20)
 
kensin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 1,427
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Singlo99 View Post
Just watching Youtube and Doug Dumero reviewed a 94 Silver R2 with only 31k miles thats on sale for $50,000... Bit too much?
http://youtu.be/lZgOhP_RMSM

Also, its interesting to hear about how Stock FD drives like...
that one was for sale for 29k in a dealership in May. I was 1 day too late and someone bought it. Now I know who. And good god price flip. I hate people like that =_=
kensin is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 06:16 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Mikelivi91's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 261
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Beautiful car, but no way I see $50k for it. The dealership priced it accordingly at $29k and would have been a great deal for anyone...
Mikelivi91 is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 11:03 AM
  #4  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (9)
 
BLUE TII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: CA
Posts: 7,093
Received 148 Likes on 131 Posts
Solid review.

Note to people tentative to watch, the guy reviewing it is not the seller (he does car reviews).
BLUE TII is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 11:24 AM
  #5  
Playing Well
iTrader: (19)
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Santa Cruz
Posts: 3,891
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
50 grand and look at that rake. I don't remember my FD ever sitting like that even when it was bone stock.

A-Pillar gauge? Single exhaust that sticks out? Where's the rear valance? Why is it that all the really expensive ones are always missing the battery cover?


/nitpick. That IS a nice FD though. 25K or so sounds about right.

Last edited by Natey; 10-20-17 at 11:38 AM.
Natey is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 12:02 PM
  #6  
Full Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: California
Posts: 78
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking it did look a bit funny since the rear was so high.

His Only disappointment is that He cannot look at the car while driving it... I share this disappointment.
Singlo99 is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 12:16 PM
  #7  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (9)
 
BLUE TII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: CA
Posts: 7,093
Received 148 Likes on 131 Posts
That is how much rake my stock racing class FD had with stock springs and GAB Super Rs, so it looked normal to me.
BLUE TII is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 03:29 PM
  #8  
Dumb Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Billy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 235
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Holy crap, thanks for posting this video!

I never knew the driver window switch getting stuck (until the window rolls all the way down) was normal, I thought I bought a used broken one when it was supposedly "new"! And the rear center panel actually goes down... I thought it was to remove it...
Billy7 is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 04:50 PM
  #9  
Rotary Enthusiast
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: california
Posts: 764
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had this car for 10 years now, and I've never noticed the ever so slightly smaller trunk storage compartments.
Maybe because the car goes on a towbed before I'd drive the on the spare tire.
Learn something new everyday.
Surprised he didn't say anything about the passenger side. The driver side seems much more spacious compared to sitting in the passenger side.
silentblu is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 05:02 PM
  #10  
Racecar - Formula 2000
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bath, OH
Posts: 3,312
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Natey View Post
50 grand and look at that rake. I don't remember my FD ever sitting like that even when it was bone stock....
Part of that rake is an illusion caused by the slope of the surface it's sitting on...
DaveW is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 08:17 PM
  #11  
***** "Nazi"...lol!
 
bajaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: near Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 4,958
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That car has some issues...it is far from perfect and far from being a $50K car!
I never knew any model had an 'auto-down' driver's window. My '93 isn't that way.
One has to laugh at some of the comments, especially the dude saying how the 300ZX was faster, blah blah blah...
bajaman is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 08:43 PM
  #12  
Lives on the Forum

iTrader: (6)
 
7_rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,119
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bajaman View Post
That car has some issues...it is far from perfect and far from being a $50K car!
I never knew any model had an 'auto-down' driver's window. My '93 isn't that way.
One has to laugh at some of the comments, especially the dude saying how the 300ZX was faster, blah blah blah...
94 and 95 has it.
7_rocket is offline  
The following users liked this post:
bajaman (10-21-17)
Old 10-20-17, 10:45 PM
  #13  
Full Member
 
IMAGINETHAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 52
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Was this the car that was for sale forever awhile back on the forums/Autotrader?
IMAGINETHAT is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 11:13 PM
  #14  
rotorhole
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: retired rotorist
Posts: 700
Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts
i saw the vid a few days ago and my initial thought was it's a $20k-25k car, it's not totally unmolested and 30k isn't showroom new anymore to fetch new dealer prices.


never seen a FD with the auto window feature functioning either, either that function breaks very quickly or someone dumped soda in the switch, lol.

Last edited by insightful; 10-20-17 at 11:17 PM.
insightful is offline  
Old 10-21-17, 09:35 AM
  #15  
***** "Nazi"...lol!
 
bajaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: near Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 4,958
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post
94 and 95 has it.
Can I simply buy a '94/'95 switch and have it all work? One would assume so...
bajaman is offline  
Old 10-21-17, 09:55 AM
  #16  
All out Track Freak!
iTrader: (261)
 
Fritz Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Charlottesville VA 22901
Posts: 10,324
Received 113 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by kensin View Post
that one was for sale for 29k in a dealership in May. I was 1 day too late and someone bought it. Now I know who. And good god price flip. I hate people like that =_=
The seller told me he sold it for 34 or more but based on people I know who made him offers I knew that was high so figured 33k. Funny that he sold it to a dealer for much less. Big chip on the that shoulder which I realized fully when I posted in his thread on rennlist (what a mistake that was lol).

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...quality-3.html

Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Part of that rake is an illusion caused by the slope of the surface it's sitting on...
Yep

Originally Posted by insightful View Post
i saw the vid a few days ago and my initial thought was it's a $20k-25k car, it's not totally unmolested and 30k isn't showroom new anymore to fetch new dealer prices.


never seen a FD with the auto window feature functioning either, either that function breaks very quickly or someone dumped soda in the switch, lol.
All 94s and up have auto down switch. Always buy the 94 and up new switch so you have that cool feature. If you push it down 1/2 way to 3/4s it works like a regular switch and if pushed down fully it locks in place. It's a cool switch.

In today's market if it had good compression and good paint it's easily a 35k FD and likely a 40k slow sale car if it was TRULY in exceptional condition. Sadly it's your average FD with 30k miles.

One thing it definitely isn't is a 50k FD............ That said this is a hot market and that's a very hot FD. SSM r2 might be my favorite FD but red just stirs my emotions more so it's a tough call.

Lets be real 50k is just stupid money for this car or any FD when you can still buy a good one for 20 or less. It's nice to see values up a good 10k for good cars but clearly some sellers are testing the market a bit. Once I see several FDs sell for high 30s or low 40s then maybe it can stretch to 50 but it's not easy to go from low 30s straight to 50
Fritz Flynn is offline  
Old 10-21-17, 09:55 AM
  #17  
90s riceboy
iTrader: (14)
 
EUROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 542
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love watching this guy’s YouTube car reviews. Reminds me of Jay Leno but with a goofier, more excited enthusiasm about the cars he drives. And far from being one of the typical millennial Youtube “bros”. He doesn’t always buy the cars he reviews, like this one. The dealership just lended it to him for the review. He did buy a Viper GTS and an Aston Martin in the past though.
EUROX is offline  
Old 10-21-17, 10:33 AM
  #18  
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 24,645
Likes: 0
Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by bajaman View Post
Can I simply buy a '94/'95 switch and have it all work? One would assume so...
yep! FD14-66-350C
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 10-21-17, 11:05 AM
  #19  
Playing Well
iTrader: (19)
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Santa Cruz
Posts: 3,891
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Part of that rake is an illusion caused by the slope of the surface it's sitting on...
I was looking at the uneven wheel gap between front and rear wheels. Even when it was on stock nearly-100K mile suspension, my car always sat nice and straight.

Last edited by Natey; 10-21-17 at 11:07 AM.
Natey is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 03:59 PM
  #20  
All out Track Freak!
iTrader: (261)
 
Fritz Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Charlottesville VA 22901
Posts: 10,324
Received 113 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Natey View Post
I was looking at the uneven wheel gap between front and rear wheels. Even when it was on stock nearly-100K mile suspension, my car always sat nice and straight.
It's completely normal for stock FDs to have some rake (bigger gap in rear wheel/rear higher than front). People that take the rake out are making a handling mistake with this car or really any car. This car pushes already in stock form so if you take the rake out and it will push even more.
Fritz Flynn is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 04:32 PM
  #21  
just dont care.
iTrader: (6)
 
jacobcartmill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 9,386
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
doug does great reviews. I've seen a lot of his videos.

also, I completely agree with him on just about everything he said in this video. he's kind of quirky/excited about stuff like this, but he is very realistic and has drive many, many different cars and has interesting feedback.

also, yeah, the 94+ window switch is the best thing about the 94+ cars
I recently bought one for mine.
jacobcartmill is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 04:46 PM
  #22  
It's finally reliable
iTrader: (18)
 
MOBEONER's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NEW YORK CITY
Posts: 3,498
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jacobcartmill View Post
doug does great reviews. I've seen a lot of his videos.

also, I completely agree with him on just about everything he said in this video. he's kind of quirky/excited about stuff like this, but he is very realistic and has drive many, many different cars and has interesting feedback.

also, yeah, the 94+ window switch is the best thing about the 94+ cars
I recently bought one for mine.
i agree 100%.
a lot of people don’t like him but I personally think he is great and gives realistic average joe reviews, he’s not biased to any car or brand which makes it more interesting.

I am sure fritz has a much better condition FD in his hands than that 94 silver R2. Let us see what you have fritz.
MOBEONER is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 06:26 PM
  #23  
Full Member
iTrader: (4)
 
hadokenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Posts: 243
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MOBEONER View Post
i agree 100%.
a lot of people don’t like him but I personally think he is great and gives realistic average joe reviews, he’s not biased to any car or brand which makes it more interesting.

I am sure fritz has a much better condition FD in his hands than that 94 silver R2. Let us see what you have fritz.

I dont agree with half of his reviews...overly enthusiastic which can sometimes feel fake. Also notice how he rarely if ever says anything bad about any of the cars he reviews. I would not call his reviews objective.

His worst one is probably the one for new NSX. I personally think that car is a huge disappointment.
hadokenny is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 06:41 PM
  #24  
Playing Well
iTrader: (19)
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Santa Cruz
Posts: 3,891
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn View Post
It's completely normal for stock FDs to have some rake (bigger gap in rear wheel/rear higher than front). People that take the rake out are making a handling mistake with this car or really any car. This car pushes already in stock form so if you take the rake out and it will push even more.

Here's one you sold that had 29k on it. No rake.


61K also from you. Nice and even


There are plenty more examples of stock FDs that sit straight on this site.

If anything it looks like the one in the OP is sagging up front.

Last edited by Natey; 10-23-17 at 06:45 PM.
Natey is offline  
Old 10-24-17, 09:47 AM
  #25  
Full Member
iTrader: (7)
 
DuGuder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 105
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the review also, and this FD is most certainly not stock or worth anywhere near 50k. Sure when you raise the hood you'll notice that the it hasn't been molested in any way but, the interior has got more than enough for anyone to realize that someone had there way with it at some point. I'm sure everyone will agree that our FDs didn't come with front and rear tweeters or a gauge pod. Needless to say this poor RX will be collecting dust for a long time.
DuGuder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.