Build Threads
Sponsored by:

FC Track build with a Touch of G

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FC Track build with a Touch of G

So this is my first time making one of these. I guess I'll start off with my self. I work at Dynamic Autosport in Lake Forest, California. I have been working there for close to a year now in sales.

I picked up the car from a friend of mine for $400. It is a 1987 Turbo II with a manual steering rack. When I first got it it was missing hood, seats, steering wheel, headlights, engine, transmission, and exhaust. The body only had 87,000 miles on it and was pretty damn clean. My plans with the car were to make it into a daily but also be able to take it to the track and have fun.

This is what it looked like when I first got it.

So first thing I did to the car was get a hub and steering wheel for it. I went with the Momo hub and a Momo Montecarlo 320mm wheel. I also ordered a NRG thin quick release but it took a little longer to get.

Then I got the quick release in so I threw that on real quick. Only problem I found was that NRG only gave me 5 of the bolts to attach the quick release to the hub. But I already talked to them, and I’ll be getting another one soon.

Now on to the drive train, a friend of mine works at a shop called Competition GT in Costa Mesa and he was telling me that his boss just picked up an FC as well. His car is a s4 gxl with about 140,xxx miles on it. His plans were to swap an Ls1 into it as the shop he owns works mainly with the Ls engines. So he offered to trade me his whole n/a drive train for my rear end. Now since I just want to get this running for now I figured why not it can’t hurt anything. So ended up just taking out the whole rear subframe and swapping that with him first.

Sorry for the blurry pic it was the only one I could find.

From then I went on to get a NRG bucket seat for super cheap and just set that in the car as I still have to talk to Wedge engineering to make me a seat base.

The seat is cool but I’ll probably be getting a nice one later if the money is right.

Hmmm… next I got the n/a rear end from Mike and put that in my car. When he dropped off his rear end he noticed my stock wheels and said he may be interested in them a little later so that was something to keep in mind later.

I went ahead and scraped out all the sound deadening from the rear half of the car as it had already been stripped.

Also went and picked up some headlights for the car and got those mounted up.

Now eventually I wanted to get to swapping in an Ls1 myself but I figured that wouldn’t be till wayyy later. But my friend found a guy selling two Ls1 short blocks for pretty cheap so with no time to think we went over and grabbed those. I sat at home cleaning up the short block but kept thinking, man I still have a lot to go with just getting the car right it’s going to be a while till I can even work on this motor. So I ended up putting the block back up for sale.
In the mean time I ended up trading Mike my stock wheels for his Rota D2’s 17x8.5 +20. I personally am not a fan of these wheels at all but I figured I could sell them and make some money off them.

Old 12-06-11, 03:32 AM

I finally sold the short block and was able to pick up a new pair of wheels for the front of the car. They are the Grenade GX-01’s in 17x9 +15 in the gunmetal color but were repainted horribly gold. Then I sold the Rota’s and was able to pick up some Rear wheels for the car as well. They are GX-01’s as well but are 18x9 +20 in the bronze color. I’ve always loved the look of these and I managed to get them cheaper with tires than it would be for me to get RPF1’s and new tires.

In between getting the two pairs of wheels I also went and picked up the motor from mike and put it in the car.

Had to tie down the engine as it wanted to fall foreword because the motor mounts were broken. I ordered some hockey pucks to make some new ones with a friend.

^As the car sat for the night.

Yesterday I pulled off the power steering pump and the air conditioning pump as well as that bracket that hold the pulleys.

And now I am completely caught up with how the car sits right now! I plan on updating this frequently as well as my blog on the car here:

http://gtouch-fc-build.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading through all of this guys hope you enjoy the build!
Old 12-06-11, 03:55 AM

Nice Work!
Not intending to up the power up a little?
Old 12-06-11, 04:04 AM

I may in the future go with a street port but since i'll be dailying it im going to try and keep it as reliable as possible. Also since this is the first car i've built im going to make sure i understNd everything and try and get it done the right way. So in the future more power will most likely come!
Old 12-06-11, 04:53 AM

You may wanna consider changing a fan and the radiator first, since it will not affect the daily driveability. You wont wanna damage the water jackets and housings for your eventual power increase.

Cheers pal. Nice work.
Old 12-06-11, 07:32 AM
Cake or Death?

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
I don't understand why you traded off the beefier and more desirable (especially if considering an engine swap) T2 rear end for the NA part.
That seems like a major downgrade, I've never heard of anyone wanting to do that...
Old 12-06-11, 08:45 AM
IFO Forced Induction Slo

Originally Posted by clokker
I don't understand why you traded off the beefier and more desirable (especially if considering an engine swap) T2 rear end for the NA part.
That seems like a major downgrade, I've never heard of anyone wanting to do that...
Thats what I was thinking...huge lose...especially of the LSD that was already in the rearend of the TII.
Old 12-06-11, 10:13 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
t2 rear ends are easy enough to find and when you just want to get the car on the road, an na drive train is more than ok.
Old 12-06-11, 12:11 PM

I was definately going to get a new radiator as well as an electric fan.

And i went with the n/a drive train because its hard for me to turn down free. Yes i would prefer a turbo II dribe train but i dont have the money for all that right now. Same thing went for the Rota's, I never wanted them but they were free and that is hard to turn down.
Old 12-06-11, 06:30 PM
Cake or Death?

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
I reread the original post and see that I missed that you got the entire drivetrain (engine/trans/diff) for your T2 rear.
That's a different kettle of fish.

Although, come to think, I still think you got the short end of the stick.
But, carry on.
Old 12-06-11, 06:43 PM
Slowpoke

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it kinda hurts because the car was originally a TII.. had it been a NA all its life, fair game.

But a decent daily driver is good to have, especially once you get it running and reliable. good luck
daily driving with gutted interior is gonna get eventually suck imo, been there done that, i appreciate my full interior fc.
Old 12-06-11, 06:49 PM

I know it hurts i would prefer a TII in it as well and hopefully I can get a turbo in there some day.

I know it's going to be loud and rough interior wise but I'm only 18 right now so I'll see how I like it and I can't sa, "been there done that" so I'm just going to do it and have that experience and base how I feel about it after. lol I'll see if I regret anything. BTW Hypertek awesome looking car!

I should have an update tonight also bought a couple things at work today.
Old 12-07-11, 03:10 AM

So today I picked up some goodies. First is the black open end Muteki lug nuts and second is the Tomei 90mm shift ****. I really like the feel of this **** and it's surprisingly cheap too!

Old 12-07-11, 05:23 PM
T2 Duo!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gtouch
His plans were to swap an Ls1 into it

I like the color of you car and the rotas.
Old 12-13-11, 01:53 AM

So took off the intake manifold and started to clean it up a bit. still have a lot to clean off I need to get some more wire brushes, mine are kind of worn down. Checking out the wiring harness and some of it is pretty wore/ cut through. So I'll probably be looking for a new harness sometime soon. I hope to get the transmission over to my place sometime this week. Also the hockey pucks should be here this week as well and I picked up the hardware tonight for them.

Right now I'm trying to figure things out as to wether I want to daily the fc for little while or try and pick up some sort of truck to daily and put the fc further under the knife and make it a full blown track car. I don't know yet everything will work it self out I know it though.

Also decided I may trade the 18's in the rear for 17's, so if anyone has a pair of 17x9.5 +20's or matching 17x9+15 grenades I'd be down to trade for them. That's all I have so far guys hopefully come Christmas I can get my Stance GR+'s and get this going with the engine further. Thanks for looking!

Edit: Also looking and some coil packs I have laying around for the engine I have one that says Ez one that says Az and two that say Bz. if someone could enlighten me on which one's I will need to use that would be great! Thanks.

Last edited by gtouch; 12-13-11 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-15-11, 02:20 AM

Alright so I finally got to use my drill press today that my neighbor gave to me for free. It's an older Craftsman one still works fine as well as a TON of bits and stones and just a lot of accessories. My reason for using it was to drill through the hockey pucks I got in the mail today to make my motor mounts. As soon as I saw that I got the pucks I went over to Lowes and got all the hardware for them. Was a pretty simple task and got it done in time to head over to a middle school lacrosse team I am assistant coaching. That's about it for this week next week I plan to get new gaskets and hoses that I need to finish up the UIM and LIM cleaning.

Here is the Drill press from my neighbor

and all the stuff that came with it!!

Here I am drilling into the pucks

And the finished product. Motor mounts

Made and extra set for my friend for his fc. These only cost me about $10 per car so we will see how they work and if I don't like them I'm alright with buying some as it's only $10 and an experience. Thanks for anyone who actually reads this lol. I am still trying to figure out the coil pack situation.

Also may be changing the wheels up again for something smaller... but I'll get to that when and if it happens. Let me know what you guys think!
Old 12-15-11, 04:39 AM
This is my social media.

Who gives a **** if it WAS a TII? Do with your car as you please... You're doing a fine job! I like those hockey puck motor mounts!... I am pretty broke at the moment, and am in desperate need of motor mounts. I may try this, if you don't mind. (Let us know how they work for you!)

You ought to just get a fan shroud and use the stock clutch fan that you have. It's reliable... Plain and simple. There's always the chance of the e-fan going out.
Old 12-15-11, 11:11 AM

Thanks man. Im hoping to get the mounts in next week but the car iant going to be running for a little while so i'll see how they work in my friends car who i made the other set for. Also as for the fan shroud as long as it will fit over the s13 radiator i'll be using then it is definately something i will look into. I'm up for anything at the moment and am kind of changing ideas constantly.
Old 12-24-11, 03:02 AM

Got the motor mounts in today and finally I can take the rope that was holding the engine up from falling over. It sits a bit lower now too. Also picked up a 5-speed from a friend of mine so thats sitting in the garage now waiting for a new clutch which I should have next week. Also was thinking that I was going make this into full track car and strip it fully. Also with Christmas money I'm hoping to get the Stance GR+ for the car as well. Here are some pictures of the mounts on the car.

this is the tranny I had to wrap it up because it started to drain all the fluid in it before I could figure out where from.

Next update should after christmas (*cross my fingers* hopefully with coilovers)

PS: also selling my grenades if anyone is interested
Old 12-26-11, 07:19 PM

Christmas update!:

For Christmas I got a nice tool/ parts cart from harbor freight as well as a nice little Craftsman tool box that I can bring to the track once I start going. Once the cart was together I went into OCD mode and organized all my tools. Also received some ratcheting wrenches which is AWESOME!

Also put my Stance GR+ Pro on order at work so I'll hopefully have them by the end of this week or beginning of next week! Thanks guys let me know if you have any imput!
Old 01-05-12, 01:48 AM

Well still waiting for the coilovers to come in kinda sucks having to wait so long but it'll be worth it. Also ordered the Pineapple racing EGR, ACV and OMP block off plates. Kinda want to strip the motor and hand it over to mazdatrix and have it rebuilt and streetported just gotta save up a bunch for it.

In the near future I'm looking to get rear camber arms, rear DTSS delete, new wheels, transmission mount and 20mm front over fenders.

Let me know what you guys think also if you guys know of any good deals on the above items? Thanks
Old 01-08-12, 03:20 AM

Just have another quick little update received my ACV and EGR block off plates from Pineapple Racing on Friday. They are awesome and I hope to install them once I get the gaskets for them. I think the shipment was lost for my OMP block off plate and plugs but hopefully that will be sorted out soon. Also picked up a IHI RHX6 Turbo... that I don't need so if anyone actually reads my build thread and is interested pm me for it.

Also co worker of mine and a buddy of his came up with some shirt designs pretty simple but I like it. Let me know if you guys would be interested in on they would be $20 and these are not some crappy t-shirts either.

Thats it for now can't wait for my coilovers to get here and my wheels to sell hopefully some it can start getting the proper height a race car should be at.

Thanks
Old 01-22-12, 10:56 PM

Ok so I know it's been a while but I've got a few things done this weekend. So first I got all the block off plates on the correct locations now. I would like to thank Rob over at Pineapple racing for sending me the new OMP plate and plugs as well as sending me a new EGR plate with the correct sized holes! Awesome customer service I would recommend their products all day long. Alright back on topic. Thursday I went and picked up my front fenders from AIT racing. I drilled out all the holes and everything seems to be lining up except for the bottom part near the door... but I'll figure it out later sometime. Other than that I'm satisfied with them completely. Last but not least I pulled the glass, motors, and handles out of the door which will be for sale if anyone is interested. That's it for this post next time I'm hoping to start cutting the door panels out completely to just the outer shell and get rid of the rest of the sound deadening.

Also was wondering where you guys would suggest I get the bolts to mount the transmission to the engine. Thanks again.

Pics:

Also this is just a little teaser of what I'd like to make out of the headlight cover when I learn to weld.

LMK what you guys think!
Old 01-31-12, 10:17 PM

New update:

Finally sold my wheels and I went ahead an ordered my new one's. I got 3 of 4 wheels so far from Summit Racing the last one should be here on Friday. Also Went over to my buddies house to help him take apart this car(Many of you may have seen this for sale on Zilvia):

Any ways I bought the seat out of the S14 which was a Sparco REV for pretty cheap! Here are some pics of that just need to get some sliders and a base.

Next up are the wheels. I went with the Cragar 15x8 +6 5x4.5 D Window wheels (Only $248 shipped for all four!!!). I plan on running 225/45/15 Hankook RS-3's as long as the back order doesn't take a year. Here are some pics of the wheels the front need a 5mm spacer I think to clear the Calipers. The Rear fit perfect. Also I definitely needed the 20mm wide front fenders.

Oh and last thing I cut out the inner door panel on the passenger side so and will be doing the driver side this coming weekend. I took out 47lbs just in one door! So once I cut out the driver side i'll save around 94lbs. Here is a look at how they are cut.

That's it for this update... I guess no one likes what I'm doing or hates it lol I'll be here in my build corner if anyone needs me. Thanks
Old 02-01-12, 04:47 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

I actually dig the door and wheels.

Don't let anyone tell you how it's done. Most people here have the mindset of "If it ain't my way, it's the wrong way"

Quick Reply: FC Track build with a Touch of G