Build Threads The place for complete build threads of 1st Gen RX-7s.

painted my car - 56k no way

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 01:45 PM
meh.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
painted my car - 56k no way

a good friend of mine has a barn with a makeshift paint booth in it. i decided it was time to get my car to look presentable.

this is what i started out with. she sat here under this tree for 4 years.

the trailer pics give a better idea of the paint on the car. almost faded to green. She was brilliant black in 1981

also notice the cracked and misaligned bumper.

and one more for good measure

my original plan was to put off body work for last, but after i tore some paint off the hood dressing her up for halloween, i decided to move forward early

sanding begun:

Old 03-15-11, 01:46 PM
meh.

discovered a massive amount of bondo on the hood and front cowl piece. Too much to attempt to fix. so i decided to get new ones. the hood bondo was also cracking badly

found a generous donor car at a local junk yard, and also took the time to realign the bumper, which is in another thread here somewhere.

results -

finished sanding. the car is cleaned and ready for primer

Old 03-15-11, 01:46 PM
meh.

just finished the primer

Last edited by deadphoenix52; 03-15-11 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-15-11, 01:47 PM
meh.

dust from the wet sanding

this washed off easily with water and a wet rag. the car was then cleaned with a tack cloth to remove anything else right before the base coat was applied.

ready for base coat

base coat -

this is after the first coat of black. 2 total were applied

then after 3 or 4 coats of clear. the clear went on extremely rough. i sprayed the hood first, and almost finished before i decided it was the clear going on rough, as opposed to glare coming through from the base coat, thinned the clear coat, then all was fine, but i have a lot of buffing to do on the hood to clean it up.

the rest of these are the finished product as of last night. she's gonna sit today, then tomorrow ill head out and start buffing the clear coat and see for sure how it turned out

Last edited by deadphoenix52; 03-15-11 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-15-11, 01:51 PM
meh.

car was resprayed the factory brilliant black.

all things considered, regardless of how it turns out, im gonna be pretty happy with it. this is my first time painting a car, and my friend whose barn i was borrowing, has some experience, but all amateurish, no professional experience. This was an incredibly valuable learning experience. and im mostly proud of the fact that while ive owned this car, still to this day, the only shop she's seen was when i took her in for the safety inspection.

this is by no means meant to be a permanent paint job. this was mostly to get the car presentable, so im no longer the only guy at the local 7 meet whose car looks like **** lol. in several years, when i can afford to have the professionally done, i will.

anyway, questions, comments, criticisms wecome. i know i have a lot to learn.

-Nick

Last edited by deadphoenix52; 03-15-11 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-15-11, 02:30 PM

That's some good work. Waiting to see how it comes out.
Old 03-15-11, 04:08 PM
Work in Progress

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do people put 56k no way on their threads?
Old 03-15-11, 05:52 PM
meh.

Originally Posted by 82FanTC
Why do people put 56k no way on their threads?
this page would take about an hour to load for any cavemen still using dial up
Old 03-15-11, 06:24 PM
My 7 is my girlfriend.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good. Just one question. Why did you paint the plastic headlight trim? They look ok in the pics. Just curious.
Old 03-15-11, 06:34 PM
meh.

Originally Posted by orion84gsl
Looking good. Just one question. Why did you paint the plastic headlight trim? They look ok in the pics. Just curious.
im not sure...

i put the headlights up to cover them. then diconnected the battery because the hatch latch was off. they just stayed up. wasnt really planned out. never gave it a second thought. although, the primer on the trim was not sanded at all. so it should look a little more coarse.

Last edited by deadphoenix52; 03-15-11 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-15-11, 08:37 PM
80's car lover

Looks good man. I need to get mine into paint this summer. Any finished pics??
Old 03-15-11, 09:26 PM
meh.

should have some in the next few days. like i said i just fiished spraying last night. tomorrow i start buffing the clear coat.
Old 03-15-11, 10:12 PM
Have RX-7, will restore

Received 1,053 Likes on 892 Posts
looks really nice but i would've removed the headlight shrouds, antenna, and the hood seal, as well as masked off the window trim and side mouldings. they are a different shade of black than the rest of the car. otherwise, great job!
Old 03-15-11, 10:33 PM
meh.

Originally Posted by mazdaverx713b
looks really nice but i would've removed the headlight shrouds, antenna, and the hood seal, as well as masked off the window trim and side mouldings. they are a different shade of black than the rest of the car. otherwise, great job!
not anymore

and the side mouldings were removed.

Last edited by deadphoenix52; 03-15-11 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-15-11, 10:51 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
think this car has any hope...

Old 03-16-11, 07:41 AM
Never Follow

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Came out good for a first attempt! Clearcoat can be a real bear, it either goes on rough with tons of orange peel (looks like this is what you got) or you put it on too thick to get rid of the orange peel and you end up with a bunch of runs in the paint (usually what I get lol)
Assuming you put the clear on thick enough you will be able to wet sand all that orange peel off and buff it up.

One piece of advice - the clear will continue to harden and shrink up over the next few weeks and some of the orange peel might actually start to fade away. Resist the urge to start wet sanding/buffing too soon, if you sand too early as the clear shrinks and hardnes the sanding scratches open up and you will see the lines/swirl marks.

Personally I complete disasemble my cars when painting them, but to each their own
Old 03-16-11, 09:24 AM
meh.

Originally Posted by 82transam
Came out good for a first attempt! Clearcoat can be a real bear, it either goes on rough with tons of orange peel (looks like this is what you got) or you put it on too thick to get rid of the orange peel and you end up with a bunch of runs in the paint (usually what I get lol)
Assuming you put the clear on thick enough you will be able to wet sand all that orange peel off and buff it up.

One piece of advice - the clear will continue to harden and shrink up over the next few weeks and some of the orange peel might actually start to fade away. Resist the urge to start wet sanding/buffing too soon, if you sand too early as the clear shrinks and hardnes the sanding scratches open up and you will see the lines/swirl marks.

Personally I complete disasemble my cars when painting them, but to each their own
the data sheet with the clear said to buff 24-48 hours later. which is today, and what im about to go do. and ill keep that in mind, and take care to do the buffing extra lightly.

and i would loved to have disassembled the car, but that wouldve been wayyy to much work for a first painting attempt, and probably the same results.
Old 03-17-11, 01:24 AM
meh.

got her all buffed today. did it lightly, like most suggested keeping in mind that the clear coat needs time to cure.

moved the car out to get the paint in some light and heat.

also took the time today to remove the hideous faded purple window tint on the hatch

the rest are at the end of the day after buffing. on a 10" orbital microfiber pad, started with meguiars rubbing compound, then moved to a polishing compound. did the whole car that way. it was dark out so pics arent the greatest. ill get more tomorrow after i get her put all back in one piece.

she also got vacuumed for the first time in who knows how long.

its been a lot of work, and yeah there are a few flaws in the paint, but i finally have a decent looking, presentable car. and im damn proud of it.
Old 03-18-11, 12:38 PM
meh.

finally got the car back together. everything but the side window glass and door panels is back on.

came out decently enough. a lot of the flaws come through in direct sunlight tho. especially on the drivers side door. i didnt get enough clear on the lower parts of the door and the strokes used can be clearly seen. also not enough black. some of the blue/green tint used to make the black comes though quite a lot. the lack of skill is quite evident. still, the car looks a million times better than it did before. and im quite pleased with it considering this was my first time ever taking on anything like this.

Old 03-18-11, 08:05 PM
Royale with cheese

Did you wetsand the clear before you buffed it?
Old 03-18-11, 09:05 PM
I can has a Hemi? Yes...

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A for Effort. Good Attempt.
Although, I must admit you just confirmed for me that I
will definately pay a professional to do mine eventually.
Old 03-18-11, 09:09 PM
ALLROTOR

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It looks like the clear needs to be sanded like the way you initally sanded the body to prep for primer but with a WAAAAY lighter grit sand paper. Then buff again. Good job for a first time... everyone has to start somewhere.

Cfamily fix... that car looks like it needs waaaaay to much work. You should give it to me
Old 03-18-11, 10:28 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 85TIIDEVIL
It looks like the clear needs to be sanded like the way you initally sanded the body to prep for primer but with a WAAAAY lighter grit sand paper. Then buff again. Good job for a first time... everyone has to start somewhere.

Cfamily fix... that car looks like it needs waaaaay to much work. You should give it to me
Lol...not yet Jimmy. Ditched the 5.0 idea and started gathering bits for a 12a turbo build, while also trying to finish the GLC. I think I'm losing my mind.
Old 03-19-11, 12:35 AM
meh.

Originally Posted by Directfreak
A for Effort. Good Attempt.
Although, I must admit you just confirmed for me that I
will definately pay a professional to do mine eventually.
haha. me too lol. clear coat is a beast just because its hard to tell where youve already been.

i will most likely attempt to paint a car again. just not this one. i learned a ton with all this, and i know if i had it to do over i could a ten times better job. still no where near professional, but not this bad.

like i said before tho, regardless, im pleased with it. because i did it. and still the only shop she's seen was on inspection day.
Old 03-19-11, 12:39 AM
meh.

Originally Posted by Tanjo
Did you wetsand the clear before you buffed it?
no i did not. im going with the above advice that said to wait a month or so, because this is an enamel paint. it still feels soft almost. not a lacquer paint that fully dries in just a few hours