Old School and Other Rotary Old School and Other Rotary Powered Vehicles including performance modifications and technical support

FWD rotary

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-02, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWD rotary

a guy i know has a mx-3 and he wants to be differnt so he wants to put in a rotary does anybody have any idea of what kind of tranny would hook up to that and under what titles of threads to search for to help me out with this question
Old 06-30-02, 09:40 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.kennedyeng.com

try here....but i dont know how far you will get. hopefully it will work out for you.
Old 07-10-02, 10:52 PM
Rotary Freak

That would be a pretty cool setup. I'd use one of those in the winter and the FB for the summer. Safe rotaring all year long.
Old 07-11-02, 07:14 AM
Old [Sch|F]ool

Received 416 Likes on 296 Posts
Why? The rotary is so much heavier than the B6/BT or the 1.8l V6...
Old 07-11-02, 10:41 AM
Lapping = Fapping

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts
Could it be heavier than the crap 4 boinger that comes in the Chevy Spectrum and Isuzu Imark? Non turbo version by the way.
Old 07-11-02, 11:08 AM
Old [Sch|F]ool

Hey now, I have a soft spot for Isuzus

I believe the Isuzu engine weighs around 250-300... so the rotary is still a tad heavier.
Old 07-11-02, 12:55 PM
Lapping = Fapping

So does my bro. That's why I'm asking. I think it would be really cool to rotarize it.

The 13B is the same length as the stock engine. I'm must worried about the intake/exhaust getting in the way of the half-shaft/CV joint. On the Isuzu engine, the exhaust comes out of the plug side and wraps under the oil pan.
Old 07-12-02, 01:48 AM
Old [Sch|F]ool

That sounds like most FWDs.

I kinda like Isuzus. They're finicky (read: complete bastards) in a way that I like.
Old 07-12-02, 12:31 PM
Lapping = Fapping

It's one of those projects that I'd like to do... someday. The Imark's carb has been rebuilt and is quite down on power. This car is NOT fun to drive anymore. My bro wanted to install a turbo engine, but I suggested a rotary. We'll decide on what it'll get sometime next month. It's my bro's car so all I can do is suggest stuff. I'm still rooting for the rotary
Old 07-12-02, 12:33 PM
Old [Sch|F]ool

Stay away from Isuzu turbo engines.... fragile with a capital F! (That's how I got to intimately know Isuzus...)
Old 07-12-02, 06:40 PM
Now with more 1st Gen!

Originally posted by rxrotary2_7
www.kennedyeng.com

try here....but i dont know how far you will get. hopefully it will work out for you.
Any other suggestions about transaxles? the beetle transaxle has the engine mounted behind the axles, doesn't it? this would not fit into a FWD car I'm thinking (not easily) ...would any mazda trannies fit fairly easily? (like with an adaptor or something?)
Old 07-14-02, 01:37 AM
Keep to the right.

I think he was suggesting that perhaps Kennedy Engineering could make something for you. They make adapters for a lot more than just VWs.
Old 07-14-02, 02:10 AM
Lapping = Fapping

Thanks peejay. I didn't know anything about those turbo models, other than they were a factory option in the Imark.

I drove it a bit today. It's not that bad of a car, just gutless with a capital G! Hmm, I wonder how much power the transaxle could handle?

Here is an interesting page about installing a V6 into an X1/9.
http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/genera...ts/fiatv6.html
This page says the X's transaxle can handle 150 HP smoothly (no burnouts hehe). Hey, that's like the stock diff of my MG Midget according to the previous owner who broke a couple with his streetported 12A (with less than 150HP, probably)

I know that X trannies are not very strong, and two Xs that I'm familier with both had grinding synchros and then died due to a poorly designed internal part that ends up developing a hairline fracture along its thin edge.

Knowing the cause and fix for X trannies has sort of prepped me for the Isuzu tranny which has taken similar abuse and does not grind at all. To save money, I wonder if Isuzu used the same 5 speed in their turbo and NA cars? Maybe it can handle more than 150 HP RMS (to use a speaker term, ha!). So far, it handles little burnouts just fine. It even handled being used to make a smoke show in a residential neighborhood (back when it had more power) Not much smoke, but nothing broke hehe!

This seems like the ideal tranny for a rotary in this car. It already fits the car perfectly, it shifts smoothly and always goes into gear (even 1st when rolling, which is hard on my SA tranny), never grinds, seems stronger than the X tranny which claims to handle up to 150HP, and uses a clutch cable instead of master/slave cylinders (not sure if this is a good thing).

By the way, KEP didn't have any adapters for a transverse mounted rotary, and Mazdatrix thought it was a dumb idea. Looks like I'll have to fab up some sort of adapter.
Old 07-14-02, 10:14 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by antiSUV
I think he was suggesting that perhaps Kennedy Engineering could make something for you. They make adapters for a lot more than just VWs.

Old 07-14-02, 06:21 PM

rxrotary2_7, check your PM's
thanks
Old 07-18-02, 02:57 PM

a 13B is heavier then the 1.8 V6? and so im guessing no one knows what tranny would work. (sorry just messin around
Old 07-27-02, 01:09 AM
Game of Death

just try and fit the SHO engine in there. They're neat 6 bangers. The 13b would be cool, but the trans work will just be a huge pain the ****.
Old 07-28-02, 06:12 AM
Old [Sch|F]ool

Originally posted by rx-7s rock
just try and fit the SHO engine in there. They're neat 6 bangers. The 13b would be cool, but the trans work will just be a huge pain the ****.
The SHO motor (i assume you mean the 3-liter V6 and not the "SLO" 3.4l V8) is actually quite huge. It BARELY fits in the Taurus engine bay. DOHC on a V engine makes for a very bulky product.

I'm at a friend's house right now so I cannot get you the link at the moment, but I did find a truly crazy setup - some wack-job (I mean that in the kindest sense of engineering insanity/genius) managed to mate a 13B to a Mazda transverse FWD transaxle. And stuffed it in a 323 Wagon. Peripheral port engine, as I recall, and it only runs 14's. (Due to no traction, no doubt)

I want to know how he got the engine to clear the long axleshaft. I have a feeling he rotated the engine - rotating "plugs up" makes the most sense but without seeing the setup (pics were not allowed!) I do not know for sure how he did it.
Old 07-28-02, 12:55 PM
Lapping = Fapping

As far as I know, nobody has ever done a fwd (transverse mount) rotary. I've been on the lookout for this kind of info for a long time and I've never seen any. No pics? I'd really love to see some pics of that 323.

I drove that Isuzu again yesterday. It's a great little car despite the sad engine. I've got to put a rotary in it some day. I don't think I'll need to go plugs-up, but some rotation will be needed.
Old 07-28-02, 10:38 PM
Old [Sch|F]ool

http://www.badrotor.co.nz/featurejames.htm

I'm home again, here's your link sir.
Old 07-28-02, 11:47 PM
Lapping = Fapping

It was on that site? Ah man, you could have told me it was on badrotor and I could have found it by myself! Hehe seriously though, thanks!

I just got done reading it. Oh man that sounds like a cool project!
Old 07-30-02, 04:30 AM

The reason you haven't seen many (if any) FWD rotaries is it is not as simple as doing a engine-tranny adaptor with a rotary engine. This is b/c on 99% of FWD transaxles, the axle which crosses behind the engien to the other wheel, crosses directly inline with the rear-facing exhaust ports on the rotary.

The only way I have figured to get around this would be to rotate the transmissison and custom moutn it on an angle or something. Or do that same with the engine.
Either way you will have to re-do your oil systems on both as well.
Old 07-30-02, 12:31 PM
Lapping = Fapping

I'd most likely rotate the engine and redo the oil pickup tube. Probably the entire oil pan too. If going NA (not that I have much choice, heh) I'd need to make sure the carb still sits level and rotate it 90º so it still feels the same G forces as it did on the longitudinal front engine-rear drive of stock. Like a cork screw intake manifold adapter. Sterling might be interested at this point Anyaway, the oil metering pump would need a new interestingly curved rod, and the exhaust would neen some wrap or heat shields because that part of the engine bay was not designed to handle that much heat. The CV shaft would need to lose its harmonic reducing rubber thing located in the middle of the shaft. I hope it'll be ok without it. Maybe I could just slide it up or down the shaft or add another homemade one? Racing beat coats their tension bolts with silicone to reduce harmonics...

I hope the 5 speed in this car has the same internals as the turbo model. Now I'm off to check out Isuzu websites for more info. Ever seen a souped up Imark? It looks a little out of place, lol! I'll see if I can find those pics my bro found a long time ago.

Last edited by Jeff20B; 07-30-02 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-30-02, 02:10 PM

about 2 years back i saw and rode in a Mazda Rustler pick up (323 pick up) in Johannesburg ,South Africa.
The guy had a 13b bridge port mated to a Mazda 626 2l 16v gearbox .What was done for the conversion i don't know ,but what i noticed was that the diff section of the gearbox was just below the sump.Ive been trying to contact him again because i wanted to put a 13bt in a VW Golf 2.If i get any info i will post.
Old 07-30-02, 02:40 PM
Lapping = Fapping

That's pretty cool! The more info, the better.

Quick Reply: FWD rotary