2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

FC renesis...I WANT IT!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06, 09:11 AM
Rx2 > FD

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
FC renesis...I WANT IT!

OK…so if I was to strip the renesis down to the core. No elaborate manifold or tricky stepper motors. Besides the obvious things like alternator and motor mounts. What does it take to put this into a 91 rx7?

Ok…I plan on using ITB’s from Tweakit.net and having a lower manifold made to fit it. TII tranny and obviously a stand alone ECU.

What ECU would best fit this project? Microtech LT10? And ignition system…seems like Microtech coils would best fit. But are the Bosch coils compatible?

I’m going to be using the renesis wiring harness. What things should I not eliminate sensor wise? Like knock sensor, throttle position sensor, and others?

I still want to have power steering. What would have to be done to fit this? In my head just fabbing a bracket for the pump and having a belt fit it seems to work…?

If anybody has any tips or info for me. Please feel free. But don’t bash me on my idea.. By saying…just do a TII swap, or go turbo…or I’m wasting time and money. I’m not trying to be the fastest. Or the cheapest. I want a project I can be proud of and not many people (or anyone that I heard of) has.
Old 11-27-06, 09:55 AM
Engine, Not Motor

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by sen2two
OK…so if I was to strip the renesis down to the core. No elaborate manifold or tricky stepper motors. Besides the obvious things like alternator and motor mounts. What does it take to put this into a 91 rx7?
Keep in mind that the manifold it largly responsible for the Renesis's torque curve. If you remove it all, you will end up with a high-RPM only engine. Since it looks like you are making a race engine that may not be an issue...

What ECU would best fit this project? Microtech LT10? And ignition system…seems like Microtech coils would best fit. But are the Bosch coils compatible?
You'll want to contact Microtech about this. If they can read the Renesis' trigger system then it should not be a big deal.

I’m going to be using the renesis wiring harness. What things should I not eliminate sensor wise? Like knock sensor, throttle position sensor, and others?
You'll be making a new wiring harness. This application is far too different from stock.

I still want to have power steering. What would have to be done to fit this? In my head just fabbing a bracket for the pump and having a belt fit it seems to work…?
And you'll have to supply an RPM input (or vehicle speed input depending on year) to the power steering computer.
Old 11-27-06, 11:24 AM
Sharp Claws

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
sounds like a pipe dream.

why spend $10k for this setup just to gain about 30HP?
Old 11-27-06, 11:35 AM
Gig a Giddy Go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
146 to 200+hp id do it i mean i dont have the money but id do it
Old 11-27-06, 11:38 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
OK…so if I was to strip the renesis down to the core. No elaborate manifold or tricky stepper motors.
You just made it a shittier motor than the FC 13 non-turbo engine in the first place.
Do some research before asking questions like this.
About the only advantages you get after doing this is the 10:1 compression rotors.
Aaron Cake is right: the 3-stage intake manifold is a big reason why that motor makes the kind of power that it does stock.

You realize the engine costs more than the car itself?

-Ted
Old 11-27-06, 11:48 AM
development

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^agreed.

if you have that money to spend...might as well go 20B NA with ITB's
Old 11-27-06, 11:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The one person i come across of thinking of doing this is guitarjunkie28
Old 11-27-06, 01:31 PM
IIMMM BBAAACCKKK!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by El Nene 7
The one person i come across of thinking of doing this is guitarjunkie28
well sorta.... he already has the renesis, and it already has a greddy turbo kit. just waiting for a shell to put it in
Old 11-27-06, 02:07 PM
The mystery of the prize.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not just get one of the star mazda open wheel race car setup from one of the dealers, the new ones are renesis based, you'll get the ecu and all... might actually be able to find some used stuff if you talk to the right people.
http://www.worldspeed.com/2005wsm/ga.../photo_10.html

just going to take some footwork
Old 11-27-06, 02:08 PM

here we go again, y spend all that money for so little hp gain and notmuch more potential. theres a reason y people go with t2 motors. they make good power and they are cheap. its not worth it whatsoever
Old 11-27-06, 02:18 PM
Rotor7ven

if i had the money i would do it but it sounds like a pain in the ***. and i would use the rx8 tranny too not the t2 one.
Old 11-27-06, 02:48 PM
I'd hit it.

If anybody has any tips or info for me. Please feel free. But don’t bash me on my idea.. By saying…just do a TII swap, or go turbo…or I’m wasting time and money. I’m not trying to be the fastest. Or the cheapest. I want a project I can be proud of and not many people (or anyone that I heard of) has.
I guess some of you didnt bother reading this part of his post. Or maybe you did and just ignored it. Thanks.
Old 11-27-06, 03:07 PM

^^agreed

So many people are critical 1st, and helpful last.

Cake (as usual) did a good job for advice (which is what the poster wanted in the first place, since he asked a question that I haven't seen (in the context he put it in)).

A question is just a question folks. It is a way to find an answer, and build a knowledge base. That's what we're all here for folks, remember?

https://www.rx7club.com/2nd-generation-specific-1986-1992-17/all-members-new-old-must-read-before-posting%3B-rules-guidelines-456843/

Last edited by phound69; 11-27-06 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-27-06, 03:08 PM
Son of a biscuit!

#1 rule of rx7 club is to flame the **** out of anyone who asks a question
Old 11-27-06, 03:41 PM
rotorhead

Received 429 Likes on 263 Posts
I'll give him props if he goes through with it until it's completed.

It's just that there are so many dreamers on car message boards who end up parting out half-finished projects. The more ambitious a project is, the more likely it will fizzle out.
Old 11-27-06, 05:28 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly, you will be better off with a fresh rebuild from an s5 motor. You can give it a large streetport, port the exhaust some, get a standalone and ITB's and you'll have about as much power for considerably less money. Unless you already have the motor its a waste of time and money, plain and simple. The only thing you will gain is .3 compression on the rotors, which is probably barely noticable.
Now the only question I have about this is about the exhaust ports on the renesis. Is there any performance gain from them or is it mainly to reduce emmisions? It seems to me that you could get more power with a moderate (streetable) port of the 13b exhaust than you could with the renesis exhaust, but this isn't based on any hard experience.
Old 11-27-06, 05:59 PM
very sleepy!!

ecu that i know of that works well with the renesis is motec.
Old 11-27-06, 06:16 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 88turbotime
I guess some of you didnt bother reading this part of his post. Or maybe you did and just ignored it. Thanks.
Then...

Why bother asking?
If the brother wants to go wasting his money, then that's his money...

Oh, and it's been done, so he's not doing anything special that hasn't been done already.

You want to stuff a Honda engine into your FC?
Sure, go for it.
Just be prepared to get ridiculed for it.

Same thing here...
We're just voicing our opinions.
Now you're going to tell us to all shut up?
How about you just don't listen?

-Ted
Old 11-27-06, 06:35 PM
Sharp Claws

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
which is easier? explaining why something won't work or bashing your head into the wall over someone else's wierd *** dreams?

i can't count how many threads there are out there where person A sais "i have $10k to drop into my car and i want to do **** to it"... in reality how many of those people actually do have the $10k? probably 1%, my time was wasted reading the thread and people become bitter for others wasting their time. i try to be patient but really... do any of you like having your time wasted? i doubt it.

sure i could leave or you can ignore my rants and wait for the helpful posts, relatively speaking i hardly put my input into projects like this because to me it is a wasted effort to be "different". many people try to be different but in the end it is 1000 hours spent for 10 minutes of 'oohs and ahhs', save yourself the headache and just do something for yourself. all that effort would be better put to something wortwhile like a tube chassis frame built for drag or track use, the renesis is not some super rare engine but it does have its benefits.
Old 11-27-06, 06:59 PM
whats going on?

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
renesis engines are cheap nowadays. lol. you just gotta know where to look.
Old 11-27-06, 07:14 PM
Boost in..Apex seals out.

Cheap or not, it's a STUPID swap. I own an RX8, and even I can tell you that.

Just to be unique..you would spend a lot of money, and make very little power?

There are very very few RX8 engines making more than 200rwhp NA. Even less are making more than 300rwhp, turbo. I think most are making around 260rwhp. TURBO!!

Do you know how many 13BT's are making that much? Practically every T2 with full 3" intake, exhaust, fuel and ECU will make 250rwhp. Not to mention, there are already pre-made T4-flanged turbo manifolds produced for them. The power options are limitless, the engine isn't 10.0:1 compression, and the exhaust ports aren't peripheral. Peripheral = BETTER FOR TURBO.

Do you realize yet why your idea is stupid? Wanna be unique, wanna be proud? Drop a monster turbo in an FC and leave stripes on the highway at 65mph. You'll be proud. Oh, the unique part. Paint it Plum Purple!
Old 11-27-06, 10:53 PM
Burn Rubber Not Your Sole

I say do it if you want something nobody else is gunna have, just remember your gunna run into problems not even some of the people on here are going to be able to help you with so i hope your pretty mechanically inclined.
Old 11-27-06, 11:00 PM
The mystery of the prize.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adrock3217
Cheap or not, it's a STUPID swap. I own an RX8, and even I can tell you that.

Just to be unique..you would spend a lot of money, and make very little power?

There are very very few RX8 engines making more than 200rwhp NA. Even less are making more than 300rwhp, turbo. I think most are making around 260rwhp. TURBO!!

Do you know how many 13BT's are making that much? Practically every T2 with full 3" intake, exhaust, fuel and ECU will make 250rwhp. Not to mention, there are already pre-made T4-flanged turbo manifolds produced for them. The power options are limitless, the engine isn't 10.0:1 compression, and the exhaust ports aren't peripheral. Peripheral = BETTER FOR TURBO.

Do you realize yet why your idea is stupid? Wanna be unique, wanna be proud? Drop a monster turbo in an FC and leave stripes on the highway at 65mph. You'll be proud. Oh, the unique part. Paint it Plum Purple!

There are some advantages to having zero overlap like you do with the MSPRE for turbocharging.

The relatively high compression is a barrier to making big boost easily without destroying the thing, with slightly lower compression you might find the side ports work well with boosting.
Old 11-27-06, 11:24 PM
rotorhead

Received 429 Likes on 263 Posts
Look, the Renesis is a high compression 6 port motor. It's not designed for boost. How many people here make lots of power on turbo'd 6 port s5 n/a motors?

If Mazda makes a turbo renesis it will probably be sick. It will have the appropriate manifolds and port design for forced induction.
Old 11-28-06, 02:04 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
mate check out ausrotary.com

a few guys have done swaps into rx3's etc as they want NA power. more Kw then a BP so its a good alternative.

and as far as I know, the new haltech can handle fly by wire so you can keep all the intake manifolds etc etc.

Personally go for a turbo swap mate, but if you that keen go for it.