SE RX-7 Forum Serving the Carolina's, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Tennessee.
Sponsored by:

4th Saturday, RRDI and some back road driving coming up

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06, 01:42 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Saturday, RRDI and some back road driving coming up

Just want to remind everyone that this coming Saturday is the 4th Saturday this month and we'll be doing some pre-RRDI driving. We'll start by meeting at the Stony Hill VFD on New Light Road, that's at the intersection of Purnell Road and New Light Road. I have found some curvy roads with light traffic that aught to be a blast to drive. I'll have more information later this week as I add some mileage to the drive route. We've not done a weekend drive in a while so all that can go post up and be ready for some fun driving on Saturday.

Also at the DI this week we'll start talking about planning out events and destinations for trips the rest of the year. NOPI is over and we did the Zoo, VIR. and the Brits and Battleship Car Show, in Wilmington, drives last year, everyone up for the same this year?

The B&B Car Show is set for November 4th. Any other ideas? There is the premier BBQ festival in Lexington, NC in Ocotber, the Food Lion Auto Fair at Lowe's Motor Speedway September 14-17, December we could go up to Asheville for the Biltmore House tours and of course there is the VIR Holiday Laps in December as well.

I've been trading PMs with Alex, 13B4me, concerning setting up a tuning workshop for us. He will be happy to work with anyone to check their rotary and help them get a good street tune to improve gas mileage and realize a little more power. We can get a trip organized to go to his shop around Little Washington and get some help and learn something from him if we can get Ben and Rodney to lead the way.

Also any interest from the people that have joined our group since last year in getting RRDI shirts?

Come prepared Saturday to discuss all of this Saturday and help us make some plans for the rest of this year.
Old 07-16-06, 01:54 PM
rotorhead

Received 429 Likes on 263 Posts
I should be able to make it Saturday finally. I don't know what state my car will be in though
Old 07-16-06, 04:46 PM
I8U
KONI Challenge Crew

We'll be there this weekend!
Old 07-17-06, 09:14 PM
The gimpy juggernaut

I'm there this weekend. 3 DIs in a row. If this were NBA Jam, I'd be on fire.

There are a few 8 owners on the rx8club forum trying to get something together on the east side of the state. Maybe we can hook up with them at some point this summer/fall. Clicky.
Old 07-17-06, 09:32 PM
Wouldn't Go If U Paid Me

Originally Posted by mrthundercleese
ROFL i hadnt thought about NBA jam since i was in middle school.
Old 07-18-06, 07:22 AM
I hate this f0rum

We'll depending on the weather I may come up there. If it's still a 100 ******* degrees like last weekend I'm staying home. Sorry guys, but currently neither of my cars have air conditioning.
Old 07-18-06, 05:40 PM
Rotary Freak

Originally Posted by mrthundercleese

There are a few 8 owners on the rx8club forum trying to get something together on the east side of the state. Maybe we can hook up with them at some point this summer/fall. Clicky.
Yes that is something we can plan to do as a weekend drive. We met a few 8 owners in Wilmington last year for the Brits & Battleship Car Show. I'll check out what they're doing.

Jason, understand that. Driving a black RX7 with no A/C during the summer is no fun. Before I replaced by shifter boots and AC relay it was miserable. Even with the AC my car still has a hard time with 95+ temps. Come when you can.

Last edited by GTUser; 07-18-06 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-18-06, 06:32 PM
I8U
KONI Challenge Crew

Bert, are we gonna get another t-shirt order together? I would like to get a few more. Also, what are the plans for the drive this Sat? What time? Also, I need to get me a map to find the VFW.
Old 07-19-06, 10:34 AM
I8U
KONI Challenge Crew

bump
Old 07-19-06, 02:19 PM
Make an assessment...

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by impulsive-rx7
We'll depending on the weather I may come up there. If it's still a 100 ******* degrees like last weekend I'm staying home. Sorry guys, but currently neither of my cars have air conditioning.
Stop bein' a b**ch, HAHA.
Old 07-19-06, 02:24 PM
It's only Rock and Roll

Originally Posted by impulsive-rx7
VERT for the win! Top stays down, still hot as hell though driving around town. It has it, never used it, don't think it works anyway. Then again, I do get tired of getting up in the middle of the damn night to put the top up because of some storm blowing through, or worse getting up the next morning and going...oops!
Old 07-19-06, 02:27 PM
It's only Rock and Roll

Oh yeah, and I get a load of heat coming up around the shifter. It's great during the winter, sucks in the summer. I even replaced the boots last year and it didn't help much. Still some insulation missing around the tranny I think.
Old 07-19-06, 08:15 PM
I "lost" my emissions....

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what time would we be meeting?
Old 07-19-06, 08:36 PM
I8U
KONI Challenge Crew

Bert will give us the final details soon.
Old 07-19-06, 09:53 PM
Make an assessment...

I'm not sure where to go cause I don't know where that is, but I want to be there. I can't wait for this drive. I'd also like to get a bigger shirt, and I'm down for the events this summer and DEFINITELY down for the tuning workshop, I'd LOVE to learn more, I'm hungry for it.
Old 07-20-06, 12:55 AM
I8U
KONI Challenge Crew

By the looks on the map...if you stay on Six Forks heading towards Falls Lake, New Light Rd intersects Six Forks just outside 540...then it looks like a couple of miles to the VFW and it's on the left side of New Light. From the looks of it you really can't miss it. I didn't notice much else is out that way when I looked it up on Google Earth. But I'm sure we'll directions out there before Sat.
Old 07-20-06, 06:37 AM
Make an assessment...

Hey Nic, you wanna meet up at Char-Grill or somewhere before heading out there so we can go toghether? I'll try to look it up.

EDIT: I looked it up on Mapquest and Rand McNally, going from Six Forks rd and I can't find New Light rd.

EDIT part II: I looked up New Lright rd. Nic, that's not JUST PAST 540, haha.

Last edited by speedjunkie; 07-20-06 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-20-06, 07:24 AM
I8U
KONI Challenge Crew

Yeah, sorry bout that...it's 11 miles from Char-Grill. Going from Six Forks toward Falls Lake, New Light is about 6 miles down Six Forks, on the right. I'll meet you at Char-Grill, we'll figure out a time once word gets out about when we are supposed to meet at the VFW.
Old 07-20-06, 07:51 AM
Make an assessment...

OK, I found the intersection of New Light and Purnell roads, so I know where it is now. I'll still meet you there though Nic. And whoever else wants to meet there to trek out to Stony Hill VFW.
Old 07-20-06, 01:58 PM
Rotary Freak

Weekend Drive Directions

You can follow these directions from the Char Grill on Strickland Road:

-Turn right on Strickland Rd when leaving the Char Grill;

-Make left on to 6 Forks Road at the traffic light;

-Stay on 6 Forks until just past the Bayleaf Volunteer Fire Dept (VFD) and turn left, staying on 6 Forks;

-YOu will cross Falls Lake twice and At the next traffic light (Hwy 98) go straight, the road name turns into New Light Road on the north side of Hwy 98;

-Go north on New Light Road about 5 miles and stop at the Stony Hill VFD. You will see it on your military left at the Purnell Road intersection with New Light Rd, (Purnell Rd will come in on your right and the VFD will be on your military left);

-We will meet here and drive the course, traffic and county mounties willing, until time to break for the gathering. Bring a full tank of gas 'cause there won't be many chances to fill up in the back country.
Old 07-20-06, 02:28 PM
I8U
KONI Challenge Crew

What time would be best? I just want to be able to plan ahead so I can leave goldsboro in time. Thanks, Bert.
Old 07-20-06, 02:47 PM
Make an assessment...

Originally Posted by GTUser
You can follow these directions from the Char Grill on Strickland Road:

-Turn right on Strickland Rd when leaving the Char Grill;

-Make left on to 6 Forks Road at the traffic light;

-Stay on 6 Forks until just past the Bayleaf Volunteer Fire Dept (VFD) and turn left, staying on 6 Forks;

-YOu will cross Falls Lake twice and At the next traffic light (Hwy 98) go straight, the road name turns into New Light Road on the north side of Hwy 98;

-Go north on New Light Road about 5 miles and stop at the Stony Hill VFD. You will see it on your military left at the Purnell Road intersection with New Light Rd, (Purnell Rd will come in on your right and the VFD will be on your military left);

-We will meet here and drive the course, traffic and county mounties willing, until time to break for the gathering. Bring a full tank of gas 'cause there won't be many chances to fill up in the back country.
You do know we're driving rotaries right? So we'll be driving for about 20 minutes? lol

And what is a "military left"? They didn't cover that in basic, must be an Army thing, lol.

Thanks for the directions. Like Nic said, what time are we trying to meet? I gotta clean the car and gas her up in the morning I guess. I guess I'll be cutting the Friday night orgy short
Old 07-20-06, 03:15 PM
I8U
KONI Challenge Crew

Yeah, I didn't quite understand the "military left" thing either. I guess that why we're in the Air Force, ya know...it's the almost military. haha
Old 07-20-06, 03:42 PM
Make an assessment...

^Just above the Coast Guard!
Old 07-20-06, 03:42 PM
I8U
KONI Challenge Crew

Exactly...LOL!

Quick Reply: 4th Saturday, RRDI and some back road driving coming up