Suspension/Wheels/Tires/Brakes

Which swaybar to buy for FD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 09:11 AM
Sponsor
RX7Club Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damon, thanks for the info. Mind commenting on the RE stabilizer bar? It's not a sway bar, right? Just stabalizing and reinforcing the sway bar mounts, correct? Impressions (from looking @ the design)?

Thanks
~Ramy
Old 12-06-05, 09:34 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Mind commenting on the RE stabilizer bar?
It appears to be of a very intelligent and strong design. But I'm sure it costs way too much

It's not a sway bar, right?
Right.

Just stabalizing and reinforcing the sway bar mounts, correct?
Yep. The design is very efficient from a structural standpoint as the added tube between the mounts keeps them from twisting or rocking where they attach to the chassis (which is the big problem with the stock Mazda mounts).

Only one minor issue with that design. It is not legal for stock class autox competition because SCCA rules specifically state that the sway bar mounts cannot be tied together. The rules allow aftermarket sway bar mounts, but they cannot be attached to eachother. Anyone not autoxing in an SCCA stock class won't care and would be very happy with mounts such as the RE Amemiya ones I am sure
Old 12-06-05, 09:51 AM
Sponsor
RX7Club Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DamonB
It appears to be of a very intelligent and strong design. But I'm sure it costs way too much
Considering you made mounts for $25, I'm sure the bar would be what...another $40 tops in material? And a few hours labor? Definitely not worth paying for an RE one if you have that kind of skill (my hat's off to you )

The bar's not that expensive (compared to say, other RE parts haha), and compared to the Widefoot upgraded mounts ($150 - $180 w/ the group buy). The RE bar's a lil over $200, but add onto it taxes, shipping, Customs fee (which, according to RE is 30% ), etc you're looking at about $375 realistically to have it in your hands when all's said and done lol. Sheesh.

Yep. The design is very efficient from a structural standpoint as the added tube between the mounts keeps them from twisting or rocking where they attach to the chassis (which is the big problem with the stock Mazda mounts).

Only one minor issue with that design. It is not legal for stock class autox competition because SCCA rules specifically state that the sway bar mounts cannot be tied together. The rules allow aftermarket sway bar mounts, but they cannot be attached to eachother. Anyone not autoxing in an SCCA stock class won't care and would be very happy with mounts such as the RE Amemiya ones I am sure
Wow...didn't know that. Thanks for the info and impressions.

~Ramy
Old 12-06-05, 03:16 PM
Racerxrx7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Setup

Obviously there is some good discussion's as far as what to do. I'd like to get the Tripoint Swaybar. Question. Can you use the stock mounts?if no, I'd like to see how Damon has setup his so I can mirror his. I'd like to get rid of some of the roll without sacrificing the independent suspension. I have some pretty strong springs. I have the Tein HT with 20/1119
RS200-A1150 1119lb/in spring rate.

Thanks

Racerxrx7
Old 12-06-05, 04:51 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tripoint with std bushings use stock mounts, but stock mounts should be upgraded with widefoot, prior blue ones, RB plate, or other methods.

Tripoint Front with 1/4" or 3/16" thk tubing, and RB rear bar. With 20kg springs, I'd stay with std front bushings.

old, but still has some TP data:

http://www.fd3s.net/anti-sway_bars.html
Old 12-06-05, 06:59 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
20kg springs?

I sincerely doubt you need any more anti-roll built into the front end, unless you are just looking to tame that seriously wicked oversteer you're going to have.
Old 12-07-05, 02:20 PM
Racerxrx7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Swaybar

I'm actually not to worried about the front sway bar. I really feel the roll in the rear. I still feel it in the front. That's why I want to make sure that I have the adjustability.

Thanks for the info.

Racerxrx7
Old 12-07-05, 03:02 PM
I'm sorry wha?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hahaha wow another HT owner. How does the car feel on those springs ??? DO you drive it on the streets at all?