SE RX-7 Forum Serving the Carolina's, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Tennessee.
Sponsored by:

Raleigh Rotary Drive-Ins for September

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-05, 10:58 AM
Rotary Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raleigh Rotary Drive-Ins for September

Its a new month and the RRDIs with be held, as always, on the 2nd & 4th Saturdays. The focus this month is RRDI shirts, we either want them or we don't. I am going to take orders for RRDI T-Shirts for the remainder of September, we must have at least 25 ordered to get the first run screen printed. If I can't get orders and money for the first 25 then I'll drop the idea of doing T-shirts.

Everyone should order one short sleeve and one long sleeve shirt. You'll need a long sleeve cotton shirt for driving up at VIR and the cool evenings this fall and winter at the RRDIs. I need orders on this thread or at the drive-ins and the money at the last RRDI this month, 9/24. They will be all cotton so order a size or two larger to account for shrinkage. I need your shirt size and the quantity you want of each style shirt. If you came to the first GRR and made a deposit for shirts, since we weren't able to get those shirts done, that deposit will apply to the RRDI shirt. Just subtract $5.00 from the RRDI shirts costs.

I'll have prices broken down this week for both styles of shirt and sizes. I'll post them by Friday. We are proposing black shirts with the RRDI logo on back, small version of logo on the front. Eric gets a free short sleeve shirt since he was the first to guess the meaning of 247, code for our drive-in schedule, 2nd & 4th Saturdays. Here is the logo for anyone that missed it earlier, however, it will be round not an oval as seen here:

Old 09-07-05, 09:42 PM
The gimpy juggernaut

mmmm shirts. Im in . I deposited money for 2 shirts at the GRR so I get a $10 discount yes?! Ill take 2 short sleeves in XS (read: XL) fashion. I'm going to miss the fist drive in this month, but I'll definatly be at the second one .
Old 09-08-05, 08:44 AM
Rotary Freak

Yes, your deposits with go toward the RRDI shirts. Your order is confirmed. I'll post something over on the RX8 site unless you've already taken care of it. Been missing you at the drive-ins. We had a record turnout of 6 RX8's at the last one. thanks for keeping all those 8 owners informed.
Old 09-08-05, 11:51 AM
The gimpy juggernaut

Yeah I know, I heard the news. Hopefully we can keep it up!
Old 09-09-05, 09:49 AM
Rotary Freak

RRDI T-Shirt Prices

Just got off the phone with the Screen Printer. Short sleeved T-Shirts will be $15 each and long sleeve shirts will be $17. Those prices include set up charges and the price of the silk screens. They will have a one color front logo and full color logo on back. I didn't ask about prices for childrens' sizes but assume they will run $8-$10 each. That is if we get commitments for 24 shirts. The more we can sell initially the per unit cost goes down.

I was hoping for full color front and back but Full color logos on front and back requires 3 additional silk screens and increases silk screen costs by $60 or $2.25 per shirt. I may do a different RRDI logo for the front since it'll be just one color. How about something with "R.R.D.I. / be a driver" incorportated in a rotor symbol.

Last edited by GTUser; 09-09-05 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-09-05, 01:33 PM

That would be nice. I'm down for a shirt though, you'll get my money at the 2nd meet this month. I just started a savings account, so I'll actually have money to access for the first time in a while!
Old 09-09-05, 07:48 PM
Rotary Freak

Saturday is the 2nd one this month so no one forget its Drive-In time. Decide on your shirt size and if you want a LS and SS, either or both, and also let everyone know about your interest in the Rotaries at the Zoo on Sunday October 2nd or Saturday, October 1st. It should be a great day for all rotaries to gather and purr and increase the green house gases in north Raleigh.

This will be Steve's last DI before he moves away to Statesville? to begin technical training on those piston engine powered cars.

Maybe Johny will come down from Virginy and make an appearance with Tiffany.

Last edited by GTUser; 09-09-05 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-11-05, 01:28 PM
Rotary Freak

We had a great turnout for the Drive-In last night. Several new cars were present and Dr. Smith came out after a long absence in his comp yellow R1, and he is thinking about parting with it. It is one fine FD and we should keep it in the family.

I showed up at 6:30 and the parking lot was practically empty:

not a rotary insight. I checked just to be sure I was at the right location:

yep, the Char Grill on Strickland Road, it was after 6:30, and it was the second Saturday of the month. so what gives? Where are the rotaries?

I go ahead and order my dinner and while I'm waiting I think I catch sight of a rotary apparition, its Jesse and something else, Oh No, there's more than one:

Yes, a 240 in camo, they got to be related:

Then Doug & Beth show to insure that the RX8 community is represented, talk about diversity:

More to come . . .
Old 09-11-05, 01:42 PM
Rotary Freak

September 10 Rotary Drive-In

Others started tricklin' in and after an hour or so we finally had a full line up:

Greg brought out his TII with bra this time and the Dynamic Duo were reunited:

Dr. Smith found his way back to the Char Grill for a shake and an burger and allowed us to admire his R1 for a few hours. Can you beleive that he is actually thinking about selling this beauty:

I think he was just suffering from low blood sugar.

Here is another shot of a 93 Comp Yellow R1. You'd have to be crazy not to want this doctor to make a house call:0)

and here is the car Ray has been telling us about, Jeremy drove his Eclipse and Rick brought the Supra du Jour, after all every rotary meet has to have a supra present:

and we had a new very join the mix last night:

and this one we can call Vert after Sunset:

Last edited by GTUser; 09-11-05 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-14-05, 07:46 PM
THE Redhead Rotorhead!

*drool* Sad I missed the meet... I left a card on that specific Vert today at school... haha. Didn't know he had already been to a meet. GORGEOUS.
Old 09-15-05, 12:01 PM
Rotary Freak

Yea, he does have a nice vert, His dad also has a beautiful racing FB! I was on my way over to Morrisville last week and took some backroads in west Wake Co. I saw this white FC at a gas station as I passed. By the time I got turned around he was pulling out. I cut thru and followed him to his house. I introduced myself and gave him one of our postcards. He works at Outback on Creedmoor Road on the weekends so that is why he hadn't come to a Drive-In earlier. I was actually surprised to see him last weekend. I am ashamed to admit it but I haven't gotten his name yet.

He is a great guy and he really loves his FC.
Old 09-16-05, 08:47 PM
-------------------

That is Paul Spencer. He is on the forum but I don't think he is too active in the SE forum. His dad, Mike Spencer runs a IT-7 1st gen in SCCA races. Next time I see him at school or online, Ill tell him to get on the SE forum!
Old 09-18-05, 10:46 AM
Rotary Freak

Thanks, Carl. Paul posted on the Saturday's in Raleigh forum and you are right that FB racer is nice. Paul opened the garage for me to see it the day I chased him down to give him a RRDI post card. He came by the last drive-in and I hope he enjoyed it and we can get him to be an active member. He seems to love his vert.

Hope there were no hard feelings over the miata comments. Just joking with you.

On the shirts, if we can get them done quick, then I'd be honored if you's wear one to California for 7 Stock. I'll see what Ray can work out for us when he gets back from NOPI Atlanta.

Last edited by GTUser; 09-18-05 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-21-05, 02:17 PM
It's only Rock and Roll

Just a reminder, there's a meet this weekend (24th) and bring money for t-shirts!
Old 09-21-05, 05:22 PM
It's only Rock and Roll

Hey guys and gals.... I need member pics for the RRDI site from a lot of you. If you want your mug shot with your car on there get to the meet this weekend before it gets dark!
Old 09-23-05, 12:18 PM
Rotary Freak

The RRDI will be gathering at the Char Grill at 9601 Strickland Road Saturday. We start the drive-ins around 6:30 PM, look at cars, talk about cars, fix our cars, and tomorrow will collecting payments for our first run of RRDI shirts and talking about the Rotary Run to the Zoo on October 2.

Everyone is welcome as long as you have a rotary powered vehicle, even an RX-3, or enjoy cars, talking about cars, working on cars, listening to cars or smelling rotary cars. We'll ingest some cholesterol, sugar, CO and enjoy the evening.
Old 09-25-05, 01:54 PM
Rotary Freak

Pics from the 9/24 Drive-In

It was a great night for rotarys in nawth Rawley last night. We had guys coming and going throughout the night and I really don't know how many total cars and people showed up. When I arrived at the Char Grill Marvin, Doug, and Beth were already there. I call this one Two Guys and a Rotary:

Marvin has a very nice MB FD and we were priviledged to get a chance to be in its presence. Imagine an FD early for a DI, that is a hard concept to het my brain around, thanks for the challenge Marv.

Of course Beth and Doug were there to represent the RX8, Shinka means early but always on time:

And as time went by the 8's were well represented, a total of 5 showed up, Here is Garys with bra:

Here are a couple of tired guys after a hard day of pigskin competition:

more to come . . . .
Old 09-25-05, 02:19 PM
Rotary Freak

More Pics from Saturday's RRDI

The RX8 parade continued as Bobby, smog-o-meter found his way back to the Char Grill after and extended absence. It was good to have him home:

and Lance brought in his beautiful Pepper red 8,

Jesse made it in as always and got a serious discussion going with the 8 crowd on how to properly apply a camo paint scheme. Warning to Doug, Beth seemed to really get into this discussion. She was heard to remark, it is so utilitarian and maybe the cops would have a harder time spotting Doug out on 440?

Tate and son stopped by to bulk up the FC representation along with Greg, Ray, Bert, Mike, Christina, et al:

and we were all surprized to see Ryan back after a consideral absence due to military matters. He really fell in love with the camo cars and said it reminded him of the motorpool but y'all drifters really got to go digital camo:

Jesse decided to conduct another mod class, last night it was how to Supercharge a Volvo wagon:

And this last shot I call Drive-In Saturday night

It was a great night. We now have an official RRDI T-shirt on the way, and the Rotary Rendezvous at the Zoo is definitely on for Sunday, October 2. See that thread for more details.

Last edited by GTUser; 09-25-05 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-25-05, 04:42 PM
Rotary Freak

Im glad I was represented, even though I wasn't there.
Old 09-25-05, 05:07 PM
It's only Rock and Roll

My count - 5 eights, 3 thirds, 7 seconds, 1 first and 1/2 a dozen piston thingys! Man cars were coming and going all night.
Old 09-25-05, 05:55 PM
THE Redhead Rotorhead!

...I swear my car was there, too... but the only evidence in Bert's collection of me being there is my backside in the pic where Jesse is talking about the NOS system. Guess Greg needs to add that to his collection.

I had fun last night. I finally got to have my first ride in a Turbo II... then I got to show up at Capital in an FD. Wooo! Eventually I'll show UP at Capital and of course our meetings in an FD. Hopefully that will be within the next 3 years.

I'll probably be getting my hands on a TII within the next year... so maybe by mid-06 I'll have the same dilemma that other rotorheads deal with everyday: Which should I drive tonight?!
Old 09-26-05, 03:59 PM
Rotary Freak

Originally Posted by Johny zoom
Im glad I was represented, even though I wasn't there.
Yeah, you did good. Jesse was very proud of your support.