2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

No Low end power

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Low end power

Well If anyone has seen the last few threads of mine...i finally got all my jspec intake and such all hooked up. Car started right up no problem. And my idle problem seems to be fixed too now so thats always a plus. She idles around 900...no movement at all.

Anyways...i ran into another problem. This is a 87 TII btw. I basicly have 0 lowend power. It is tough to even get the car moving. But once she starts moving and gets the rpms up she has all the power i could want. Any ideas what could be causing the low end power? I am going to replace my fuel filter and spark plugs and see what happens...they need to be replaced anyways. But I guess if you guys could just start tossing out any idea on why she could be bogging down that would be great. Just start naming anything. I basicly had everything off the car and pluged alot of lines and dont have much for emission left execpt the bac valve and the good old rats nest and solenoid area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to drive her a few miles today just to see if maybe she will build the power back. It hasnt been ran since november, so maybe its just not warn back in or something hehe.
Old 05-12-04, 08:09 PM

Well after driving around for a bit...it felt like there wasnt even a hole lot of power even when the turbo came on....plenty more thats for sure, but dosnt feel the same.

maybe grounds?
Old 05-12-04, 08:10 PM
Jesus is the Messiah

Check your compression?
Old 05-12-04, 08:15 PM

actually was thinking about that....but i havnt really had any problems with flooding or starting at all. I would think with low compression it would be a bit more difficult to start and such wouldnt it? idle be a bit more on the shitty side?

it ran fine before i put her away for winter execpt for idle. got my injectors sent out and cleaned...took off all my intake and exhaust and replaced gaskets and such and put it all back together. now no power =/

i had to get new intakes...so i got some used ones which turned out to be jspec. maybe something on how i hooked that all up?
Old 05-12-04, 08:19 PM
Nurse I need 1300cc's NOW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm ,, im not sure but you still have the emissions stuff in your car?? if so , you might have forgot to hook something up .. im not 100 percent ,, but does the jspec stuff have vacuum inlets for emissions??
Old 05-12-04, 08:23 PM

i have most of my emissions removed. the jspec dosnt have much for vac nipples. like half of what the aspec has
Old 05-13-04, 01:55 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

you added air intake? check make sure its getting the right amount of air for the low end! I take it you changed some components
Old 05-13-04, 07:33 AM

how can I find out if i am getting the correct amount of air?
Old 05-13-04, 10:01 AM

well, I am going to go buy the stuff so i can do the error code check tonight. So I will post what kind of error codes I get and maybe we can figure out the problem from there. Also going to check spark, maybe check timing, the dashpot and tps are correct?
Old 05-13-04, 02:08 PM
Just take the blue pill..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you checked to see if your injector plugs are fully connected? sometimes the wires back out of the plug and would cause the symptoms that you described.

hth

lamar
Old 05-13-04, 02:22 PM

That very well could have happened...my plugs were getting pretty rough shape. I will look into it after I do a few other things first and double check stuff.
Old 05-13-04, 07:32 PM

Well I checked for errrors and got nothing. Did a compression check and she is still very strong. I am leading towards the injectors then. Either connectors poped off a bit or just something isnt right. maybe i hooked up the resisters wrong on the secondary injector wires for the 680cc injectors.

I am curious if anyone knows if I will be running lean uptop if I put the old injectors in? I have a 2.5 inch straight pipe with a little tip at the end. and i have a cone filter intake. Walboro 255lph fuel pump

Also could I maybe be running so rich right now with the 680cc secondary injectors that it would be causing the car to bog down so much? I have a SAFC but havnt installed yet.
Old 05-13-04, 07:38 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's what I would guess, that you're shoving WAY too much fuel in there...
Old 05-13-04, 07:42 PM
Jesus is the Messiah

Just put in the S-AFC and drive over to your friendly dyno equipped w/ a wideband. Then get it tuned nice so theres no question
Old 05-13-04, 07:53 PM

yeah to bad the dyno is a good 3hrs away ahah

would running that setup without a safc...make it very low on power. I mean I can barely even get going in 1st gear the power is soooo bad. it bogs down to like 400rpms and just barely makes it way back up.
Old 05-13-04, 08:23 PM
BOOSTED Vert

sounds like you getting too much fuel down low.... connect the safc and try leaning out the mixture down low... I would suggest about -10% and see if its better..
Old 05-13-04, 08:54 PM

about too hook up my a/f guage and see what happens

Last edited by Husemoller; 05-13-04 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 09:24 PM

well i need to figure out why my temp guage isnt working first of all...too scared that maybe something is wrong with my cooling system right now too let it run for long.
Old 05-14-04, 12:03 AM

Are all your plugs firing? i.e. Leading and trailing. That will kill the power in a hurry.
Old 05-14-04, 01:31 AM
BOOSTED Vert

Originally posted by Husemoller
about too hook up my a/f guage and see what happens
wat type of guage is it.. those digital autometer ones arent really helpfull.. did you check the connections for the water temp?? I cant believe you were riding with the guage not working...
Old 05-14-04, 08:05 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Dude you have a big fuel pump and no S-AFC! The problem is right in front of you. The fuel pump is cramming more fuel into the engine than it can efficiently burn. Get an S-AFC...problem solved.

-Joe
Old 05-14-04, 09:17 AM

My rebuild is doing the same thing. No low end torque.
I figure one of my injectors is sticking cause my front plugs are clean and soaked when I pull them.

Does anybody recall what the little plastic cap on the end of the injector is used for... One of mine was cracked and I was told it is just to protect the head of the injector. BUT maybe he was wrong and its leaking in too much fuel into the front chamber
Old 05-14-04, 10:04 AM

I just think its weird that I would be running so rich. It ran before with the fuel pump. And I thought the 680cc injectors would only mess with the top end?

But I guess the only way to find out is hook up my safc and see what happens.

Last edited by Husemoller; 05-14-04 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-17-04, 11:20 PM
BOOSTED Vert

Originally posted by Husemoller
I just think its weird that I would be running so rich. It ran before with the fuel pump. And I thought the 680cc injectors would only mess with the top end?

But I guess the only way to find out is hook up my safc and see what happens.
Ok heres the problem in plain english... your computer still thinks you have the stock injectors and fuel pump(doesnt really matter but it helps the problem). I dont see how you can improve the bottom end w.o a fuel computer... you are more the 20% over your old injectors, so unless you get a fuel computer you are fuked... you can always *** with the afm, o wait thats only for up top...