South RX-7 Forum Serving Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi

Rx7 track day anyone? Metroplex area...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 07:04 AM
Racing is life!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should be ok for 5/9. Assuming I make it thru ECR and TMS weekends intact.
Old 03-19-10, 09:37 AM
On A Boat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool videos pluto, I really can't wait to try MSR now. It looks like a fun track and looks like it's more maintained than Eagles Canyon. Plus it looks like it has a lot of runoff room.
Old 03-20-10, 12:07 AM

I might be interested, but I just got my N/A FC recently and it still needs work. Right now it needs:

Auxiliary Ports need to be hooked up
Battery tie down installed
New brake pads/bleeding
Electrical Work

Plus I have a new baby in the house, so money isn't growing on trees. Although if it were growing on trees my daughter would probably still spend it all.

So it depends on how much time and money I can put into it. Also, I am still very unsure driving it. It's not as friendly as the NC Miata I used to drive. It's definitely snappier than the 240SX I drove in College, and most certainly more challenging the Cobalt I currently drive everyday! I am learning it, but I would be scared to track it right now. So I would also need to put in more time driving it.

I will give this some thought. Perhaps AutoX would be a much friendlier venue for me to take it on to the track.
Old 03-20-10, 08:01 PM
Spanking Pcars

Cool

Originally Posted by silent_ninja_8
Cool videos pluto, I really can't wait to try MSR now. It looks like a fun track and looks like it's more maintained than Eagles Canyon. Plus it looks like it has a lot of runoff room.
I have not been to ECR, because few Club racers and way far more experienced DE drivers have said, not enough run off and the track surface is very slippery making it very scary.
Also, there is a concrete wall at the end of a high speed straight, that is just too close for comfort.
Old 03-20-10, 08:43 PM
On A Boat

Originally Posted by RedBaronII
I have not been to ECR, because few Club racers and way far more experienced DE drivers have said, not enough run off and the track surface is very slippery making it very scary.
Also, there is a concrete wall at the end of a high speed straight, that is just too close for comfort.
Yeah I might do ECR again just for track time, but yeah it really is ridiculous. They're completely right about the slippery surface, they patch areas of the track, so you'll have old asphalt in one area then brand new patches all over the place. and it's a death trap if you go off course, you're choices are either trees, a ravine/creek, or like you said a wall on at the last turn after the straight. While I was there a guy lost control at that part and luckily he spun in a way as to barely avoid the wall and stayed in the grass. Am I correct in assuming (all I've seen is videos) that MSR has plenty of runoff pretty much everywhere?
Old 03-20-10, 10:43 PM

MSR in the 1.7 mile config is the safest track around.
Old 03-20-10, 10:45 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Originally Posted by <TRACK>7
MSR in the 1.7 mile config is the safest track around.
What about the 1.3 we would be running?
Old 03-21-10, 10:39 AM
Spanking Pcars

Cool

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
What about the 1.3 we would be running?
The 1.3 is not good for run off.
The lower portions of the track are just like the planet Mars, tons of rocks, big boulders and really bad terrain.
If you go off, you are bound to break/bend something and not be able to continue.
Even though is dangerous, it is a roller coaster of fun, due to the changes in elevation.
If you get dizzy, this is not the track for you, you will
Old 03-21-10, 11:45 AM
On A Boat

Holy crap, the BMW group is strict. Not sure if I'll be able to do it. Just went to register and they require a SA2005 rating or newer, therefore my 2000 is out of the question. That's ridiculous considering the 2000 should be still approved throughout this year till the 2010 comes out and I'm not about to go buy a brand new 2005 one when I can wait a few months and get a 2010 rating. I sent the event coordinator an email asking about it, cause their waiver forms still say 2000.
Old 03-21-10, 01:57 PM
Spanking Pcars

Cool

Holy crap, the BMW group is strict. Not sure if I'll be able to do it. Just went to register and they require a SA2005 rating or newer, therefore my 2000 is out of the question. That's ridiculous considering the 2000 should be still approved throughout this year till the 2010 comes out and I'm not about to go buy a brand new 2005 one when I can wait a few months and get a 2010 rating. I sent the event coordinator an email asking about it, cause their waiver forms still say 2000.
I know, this is a bogus crap on part of ALL driving organizations.
They are so SNELL drunk, that they can't see through the BS.
They do this to comply with the track insurance and reduce the risk of liability from litigious drivers/lawyers.
Thank your government for that.
To prove my point, there was a study about 3-4 years ago by the HURT Foundation(Guru's of head injuries) about head injuries and SNELL testing.
They found, that Non-SNELL helmets protected just as well, if not better.
The reasoning was, due to the hardness of the shells made to pass the SNELL test.
SNELL uses the same 10 pound ball for all size helmets to pass the drop test.
It is a fact that smaller heads weight less, therefore the shell of smaller helmets are so hard, they don't provide the protection you seek from a helmet.
The helmet is designed to reduce the acceleration of your head inside the helmet upon impact by the foam compressing and the breaking of the shell will deflect/dissipate the forces.
Care to guess what SNELL is doing now???
Yes, changing their testing methods and the shells and foam are now softer or better said less harder than before.

The other side of the coin is, a helmet should be replace every 5-7 years as the foam inside tends to deteriorate.
If it has sustained a hard hit or involved in an accident it should be discarded.
Old 03-21-10, 02:17 PM
On A Boat

Wow I didn't know all that about the testing. I've never had this problem with any other organization before (NASA, SCCA, 10/10ths, etc). Actually I found this out last weekend at the NASA event down at Road Atlanta, they actually won't check the helmets anymore. After asking why they don't check anymore (I had been checked at my previous event with them), it turns out that someone had passed through tech and been given the ok and then got into a wreck and found out his helmet wasn't 2000 or higher and he's trying to sue them for not properly checking his helmet. Now it falls under their self inspection and waiver sheet you have to fill out that all responsibility is on the driver.

You also bring up the excellent point of helmets actually should be replaced every 5 years due to the deterioration, which is exactly another reason I refuse to buy a 2005 rated helmet that's already at that 5 year mark when the 2010 will be out in october. I'm 100% in agreement with you about it, safety is one thing not to be taken lightly (or cheaply for that matter) when going on courses like we do where anything can happen. the only reason i even have my 2000 is because I just started doing track at the end of last year and didn't have the money to buy a new one so a guy gave me his to use in the meantime, and with the 2010 rating coming out this year I don't see a reason to buy a 5 year old helmet still.

I'm glad you brought up the testing method and that they are changing it, I'm curious to see if it will take affect by this years design and how much of a difference it will be from previous standards.
Old 03-21-10, 03:32 PM
Spanking Pcars

Cool

I forgot, you could rent one at the track for $10-15 for the weekend.
It's an open face and they have quite a few, being that most people like to bring their own.
Old 03-22-10, 04:58 PM
On A Boat

Got a reply back about the helmet. the 2000 is allowed, it was a mistake printed on the site and has been corrected. At least will save me $10 :P.
Old 03-22-10, 09:24 PM
Spanking Pcars

Talking

Got a reply back about the helmet. the 2000 is allowed, it was a mistake printed on the site and has been corrected. At least will save me $10 :P.
Now you can treat to Subway.
$5 foot long sub.
lol
Old 03-23-10, 01:59 AM
BRAP BRAP BRAP...

I'm completely in. Car needs rotors, pads, brake fluid, wheel repair, rear bushings. And stuff. The only thing it doesn't need is a tune. THANK YOU STEVE!!!!
Old 03-23-10, 06:54 AM
Spanking Pcars

Cool

Originally Posted by Rotors R Cool
I'm completely in. Car needs rotors, pads, brake fluid, wheel repair, rear bushings. And stuff. The only thing it doesn't need is a tune. THANK YOU STEVE!!!!
To which event???
There is only one AFAIK, the BMW CCA on April 10-11, that Ninja and I will be doing.
The other one won't materialize I am sure, due to the lack of interest in the RX7 community.
Old 03-23-10, 10:16 AM
On A Boat

Yeah feel free to join in on the fun Rotors! Maybe one of these days we'll get a few guys together where we all do most of the same events and will have a decent presence at the track events . Oh and baron, subway sounds like a plan, anytime you want, or a couple beers or whatever lol.

Haha i just read Rotors sig about the fire. that always cracks me up at the track, I always get hilarious remarks about it. "whoever was in that RX7 was shooting fireballs, I was scared to get too close behind him" lol.
Old 03-23-10, 01:39 PM
Spanking Pcars

Talking

Yeah feel free to join in on the fun Rotors! Maybe one of these days we'll get a few guys together where we all do most of the same events and will have a decent presence at the track events . Oh and baron, subway sounds like a plan, anytime you want, or a couple beers or whatever lol.
Haha i just read Rotors sig about the fire. that always cracks me up at the track, I always get hilarious remarks about it. "whoever was in that RX7 was shooting fireballs, I was scared to get too close behind him" lol.
I get exactly the same comments at the track. LOL
Old 03-23-10, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
To which event???
There is only one AFAIK, the BMW CCA on April 10-11, that Ninja and I will be doing.
The other one won't materialize I am sure, due to the lack of interest in the RX7 community.

This thread is for pluto's MSR gathering.

Start a new thread pitching the other events, don't put anymore in this thread.

Mario III
Old 03-23-10, 03:23 PM
Spanking Pcars

No problem.
I won't post here anymore, since this event, sadly, won't happen.
It is really a shame, this is what the RX7 was made for.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dMartell...08830576497634
See me waving thanks for the pass.
Old 03-23-10, 06:34 PM
Rotary Freak

Well, we still might be able to do this as long as the rest who showed interest can commit. I can get 7-10 cars from other clubs to join in if lack of participate is an issue.

let me know if May 9th is good for everyone??
Old 03-23-10, 07:03 PM

I am intrested in watching and/or sitting in the classes. do you know how much that would cost?
Old 03-23-10, 10:16 PM
BRAP BRAP BRAP...

To which event???
Lol I didn't read every single post. I was posting about Pluto's original post.
Old 03-23-10, 10:20 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

I am VERY interested, as long as my car doesn't break at the dyno on thursday (and i could possibly fix it in time if it did depending on how bad it is) or between now and the track day, i am good to go.
Old 03-23-10, 10:22 PM
On A Boat

May 9th is fine with me.

Quick Reply: Rx7 track day anyone? Metroplex area...