3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

KAAZ quieter operation tip!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-02, 08:12 PM
The Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up KAAZ quieter operation tip!!

If you want to quiet your diff a little I learned a trick from Cam at Pettit. Add a 4 oz. bottle of GM LSD diff additive to the pumpkin, just like you were topping off the case. It made a quite noticeable difference in feel of engagement under slow cornering acceleration, as well as noticeable noise reduction. Won't harm the diff and helps smooth it out quite a bit. Just thought I would not be stingy on my new found knowledge. Enjoy.

Art
Old 02-28-02, 08:17 PM
Living life 9 seconds at a time

The secret I found was to ONLY use the Kaaz diff fluid. If you do, it will be just as quiet as stock. I used Amsoil and Redline and it chatters with both. As soon as I swithed to the Kaaz fluid, it was butter.
Old 02-28-02, 08:22 PM
The Man

I have always run the KAAZ fluid, although without the same luck that you have had, mine makes plenty of noise when I turn and accelerate slowly, when I am going straight, yeah, it is quiet and smooth as silk. When you turn however, the clutches slip and engage in sequence until the desired amount of torque is transferred as needed, thus you get the clunking. The "additive" is just an that, an additive on top of the KAAZ fluid already in the diff. It worked wonders on my diff. Wish mine was always silky though, like yours apparently is. Cool!
Old 02-28-02, 10:11 PM

so the GM fluid is safe for the Kaaz then? i recently put in the Kaaz and the chattering is driving me nuts, it sounds like its coming apart inside! do i need to dump some of the fluid in the pumpkin to make room for the GM additive?
Old 02-28-02, 10:51 PM
Adrenaline

Question

I thought about getting the Kaaz, but I'm not too sure. I just can't stand when things start chattering/clunking in the cars. Do you think it's worth the money to get this unit? I just think it will drive me insane with the chattering
Old 03-01-02, 01:53 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Originally posted by RecKleSs
I thought about getting the Kaaz, but I'm not too sure. I just can't stand when things start chattering/clunking in the cars. Do you think it's worth the money to get this unit? I just think it will drive me insane with the chattering
ya i've been considering it too
but i have the same worries.
Old 03-01-02, 02:31 AM

it'll be great for drifting~ right now only my outer tire is spinning and slipping. Time to get me one, now anyone know exactly what 1way 1.5 and 2way mean?? I've read it many times but can't really understand it. And also is changing it out do-able by yourself?

David
Old 03-01-02, 07:57 AM
The Man

I've done 3 myself, but it is a very exact process. First you'll need a runout indicator to check the backlash once you get the unit back into the carrier. Two unit's have had to be adjusted side to side via new shims, one just dropped back in without problem. If you have a reputable "speed shop" nearby I would recommend that you pull the diff case out of the car and bring the new KAAZ with you to the shop and let them install the new diff and set the backlash there. This will save you lots of dough on Rand R, you'll just pay for the time it takes to put the diff in the carrier and for them to check the backlash. Backlash is basically gear mesh ( you're allowed a small amount for proper gear mesh without sticking, but too much can pull teeth off because too wide of spacing between the meshing teeth on the pinion gear and the ring gear.).
As far as using the GM additive to the KAAZ, it will not harm the diff at all, it's a phenol based lubricant additive that will aid in the clutch engagement, instead of the clutches just "catching" the engagement is smoother, much like that of a "stock" clutch versus a "race" clutch in your driveline(race clutches are usually "on/off" propositions, and the same is true of the clutches in the diff, they are either engaged or they are not, the additive allows smoother engagement and therefore much smoother, and quieter operation.) I put the additive in my diff, and didn't tell my wife, she asked me if I put my old diff back in, cause it was so much quieter!
Art
PS, as for the 1.5way info, don't really understand that either, just know it works well when I launch hard, and also keeps the rear end in line on the 2.3 mile road course at heartland park topeka!
Old 05-11-03, 10:31 PM
Rotary Freak

just thought i'd chime in and let ya know 1 way means the clutches are active throttle on only, 1.5 means all the time throttle on and partially off, and 2 way means it's active at all time
Old 05-12-03, 09:07 AM
Mod Powers...gone!

Just thought I would chime in and say that this thread is over 1 year old.
Old 05-13-03, 05:27 AM
Accepting Donations.

Originally posted by DomFD3S
Just thought I would chime in and say that this thread is over 1 year old.
Just thought I would chime in and say THE RX7CLUB KNOWS ABOUT YOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!
Old 02-28-04, 10:26 PM

what about lucas additive? is it safe and will it help quiet it?