2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Attn Mazdaspeed7

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-01, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn Mazdaspeed7

Got a few ??? about your mods:

1. What is this TB mod I keep hearing about?? How do I do it, is it worth it, etc?

2. How did you port your intake manifold? Did you do it yourself? How much gain did that give?

3. Why did you remove the 6 port sleeves? Is this something I could do for an HP or power gain of any kind?

4. What UD pulleys are you using(the manufacturer)?

5. Why did you use a TII fuel pump w/ 550cc secondaries? Would doing this to a regular NA help any?

Thanks for any of your help....
Old 08-07-01, 01:03 AM
rawr

he is pushin about 240hp thats why he needed the t2 pump and 550 injectors
Old 08-07-01, 01:06 AM
mad scientist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Attn Mazdaspeed7

Originally posted by RotaryMan88
[B]
1. What is this TB mod I keep hearing about?? How do I do it, is it worth it, etc?
You remove the second set of throttle plates from the throttle body. Helps the TB flow a little better. Here is a how-to from Cosmodonk's site

2. How did you port your intake manifold? Did you do it yourself? How much gain did that give?
I havent found a how-to on it yet, but there are a few other people that did it. You remove some of the aluminum where the different pieces bolt together. This helps the manifold to flow better. I did a pretty major porting on mine, probably at the limit before the manifold cracks from removing too much material. It hasnt cracked so I think it will be fine. I gained at least as much as I did from headers and dual midpipes, so prob 20-25 hp.

3. Why did you remove the 6 port sleeves? Is this something I could do for an HP or power gain of any kind?
It helps the manifold flow better. It would probably be a waste on a nearly stock engine, but once the engine starts flowing a lot more air, its nothing more than another restriction. But it is much better that wiring your ports open. You dont lose as much low end, and you gain a little more mid and high end.

4. What UD pulleys are you using(the manufacturer)?
Racing beat Main pulley and dual sheave alt pulley. Would not recommend both of those together without a high-output alternator. My headlights dim when the car is below 2K rpm. I dont have any stereo amps or anything else like that. I do have an electric fan, but that makes the headlights even worse when its on.

5. Why did you use a TII fuel pump w/ 550cc secondaries? Would doing this to a regular NA help any?

My mods pushed my past the limits of the stock fuel system and I was leaning out really bad above 6500 rpm before. Im still running a little lean, but Im getting a fuel pressure regulator to fix that. It would only make a nearly stock engine run too rich, which would be very bad for it.
Old 08-07-01, 01:11 AM

DUDE...your too cool, lol....ya answered em all..thanks! I'll look into that TB mod....
Old 08-07-01, 02:35 AM
B O R I C U A

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Mazdaspee, Do you have a Time slip or dyno sheet? I'm not trying to knock you off, it would be great to compare gains Vs a NA with I/H/E!

Thanks
Old 08-07-01, 11:38 AM
mad scientist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I might be going to the track, but I doubt it. Next week is much more likely. Also, the only track near me is only 1/8 mile. I raced a 300Z TT with intake last sat, and lost by a car length and a half 0-90. I pulled ahead of him a little in 1st, he pulled the car length and a half on me in 2nd, and we were dead even in 3rd. The whole story is in the kills section.