Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

What are your lap times???

Old 06-29-06, 09:43 AM
  #1  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are your lap times???

I searched this forum to see what other people are getting for lap times at the tracks that I have/do run and I'm surprised to see so very few posts with times.

Back a few years ago there were relatively few time trial opportunities, however, today there are many clubs that run time trials.... at least 5 that I can think of off hand. Are people (particulary 3rd gens) simply not interested in competing? DE is fun and all, but I couldn't imagine turning down the opportunity to (at least occasionally) test yourself against the clock. Particularly when our cars can really pick 'em up and put 'em down...

thoughts??

btw, it's been awhile since my car has been out of the garage (5+yrs) but here are some of my times...

NHIS N. Oval S. Chicane - 1:12:xx
NHIS N Chicane, S Chicane - 1:17:xx (no torque sucks)
Lime Rock - 1:01:xx
The Glen - 2:10:xx
Tremblant - ??? (soon find out w/ new config.)
Mosport - DNF (crash)
Summit - 1:24:xx
Road Atlanta - ~ low 1:40s (maybe dipped to high 30s) during DE
Sebring - have to check my old video
Thunderhill - can't recall
Buttonwillow - can't recall

I think there should be a compilation of lap times and car details as there is for dyno'd hp.
No Cones is offline  
Old 06-29-06, 10:09 AM
  #2  
.
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: US
Posts: 2,496
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lime Rock- 1:13.1 FD RX-7 Factory Twins 10 PSI
first time on the track.
ZumSpeedRX-7 is offline  
Old 06-29-06, 10:14 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA 02130
Posts: 495
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff

I am trying to get some slicks for the Mt Tremblant event......

Jack
Jack is offline  
Old 06-29-06, 10:20 AM
  #4  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZumspdRX-7
Lime Rock- 1:13.1 FD RX-7 Factory Twins 10 PSI
first time on the track.
Congrats... If you're not already, you should join COM & BMWCCA. Hope to see you @ the track...
No Cones is offline  
Old 06-29-06, 10:23 AM
  #5  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack
Jeff

I am trying to get some slicks for the Mt Tremblant event......

Jack

I knew you couldn't stand pat with street rubber. Not that you need any, but, no excuses now!

What size?


btw, anyone interested in Tremblant on 8/3 - 8/4??? 8/3 is DE, 8/4 is morning track sessions (signed-off only) afternoon is time trials. From what I understand only 48 signed-up so far. There should be a ton of track time.
No Cones is offline  
Old 06-29-06, 10:42 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA 02130
Posts: 495
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=No Cones]I knew you couldn't stand pat with street rubber. Not that you need any, but, no excuses now!

What size?

Damn...your right...no excuses...I'll have to ponder my options...
Jack is offline  
Old 06-29-06, 11:02 AM
  #7  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Jack]
Originally Posted by Jack
Damn...your right...no excuses...I'll have to ponder my options...
Not going isn't one of your options...

Anyone else interested in Tremblant in early August? Any Canuck FDs out there?
No Cones is offline  
Old 06-29-06, 11:04 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA 02130
Posts: 495
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=No Cones]Not going isn't one of your options...

I agree...
Jack is offline  
Old 06-29-06, 02:01 PM
  #9  
Has been.. hangin' around
10 Year Member
 
Silkworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 2,618
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thunderhill with the bypass 2:10.9
Infineon 1:56 I think, it's been a while.
Buttonwillow long course 2:18 or 19
Silkworm is offline  
Old 06-29-06, 10:15 PM
  #10  
.
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: US
Posts: 2,496
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks. im looking into joing BMWCCA and i want to do some schools and track days with COM.
ZumSpeedRX-7 is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 08:13 AM
  #11  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZumspdRX-7
thanks. im looking into joing BMWCCA and i want to do some schools and track days with COM.
It at all possible, I would STRONGLY recommend trying to make time for the Tremblant event in August. Fantastic track, fabulous setting, wonderful town, ~6hrs to get there (a little drawback), and a ton of track time. Not to mention that it will probably be pretty laid back with the event so sparsly attended.
No Cones is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 08:17 AM
  #12  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The lack of posts answering the question of why people choose not to time trial is very revealing... What is more revealing is that there are more posts and more interest regarding an incredibly innane topic such as "which is better a mini or an FD".... Give me a f***ing break!

It seems much has changed since I last paid attention. Too many FD cream puffs for my taste...
No Cones is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 08:37 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
SPICcnmGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 728
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barber Motorsports Park - low 1:50s
Talladega Grand Prix - 1:12

These are in my back yard, hoping to broaden my horizions next year, when I get my car more track prepped.

Stock suspension.
Basic bolt on mods +BNR Stage3's only run at 10psi on the track.
SPICcnmGT is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 09:29 AM
  #14  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,492
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
No Cones,
What are you driving (or more specifically what's been done to it) to turn those times? I don't feel i've enough laps at any particular track yet to time trial, but here are the ones I know:

Watkins Glen: 2:16:XX
Summit Point (only ever done three days there): 1:28:XX (almost a :27).
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 09:32 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA 02130
Posts: 495
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by No Cones
The lack of posts answering the question of why people choose not to time trial is very revealing... What is more revealing is that there are more posts and more interest regarding an incredibly innane topic such as "which is better a mini or an FD".... Give me a f***ing break!

It seems much has changed since I last paid attention. Too many FD cream puffs for my taste...
Now that's the ex Harvard QB I know!!!
Jack is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 10:15 AM
  #16  
.
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: US
Posts: 2,496
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by No Cones
If at all possible, I would STRONGLY recommend trying to make time for the Tremblant event in August. Fantastic track, fabulous setting, wonderful town, ~6hrs to get there (a little drawback), and a ton of track time. Not to mention that it will probably be pretty laid back with the event so sparsly attended.
if i had a truck and trailer i would love to tow my car up. but if something happens id be 6 hours away from home. for now, Lime Rock will be my home. thanks for all the advice though, i truly do appreciate it.
ZumSpeedRX-7 is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 10:22 AM
  #17  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptrhahn
No Cones,
What are you driving (or more specifically what's been done to it) to turn those times? I don't feel i've enough laps at any particular track yet to time trial, but here are the ones I know:

Watkins Glen: 2:16:XX
Summit Point (only ever done three days there): 1:28:XX (almost a :27).

Nothin special for power...typical stage 3 stuff on a stock motor stock turbos, dp, stock cat, cat-back, and typical suspension stuff... coilovers, front sway, toe & trailing arm links, Willwood fr brakes, CCW rims & Hoosiers. Don't want to down-play the mods, the car is very well sorted w/ most attention paid to suspension. You do NOT need big power to turn good lap times. As has been argued in the past, alot of power & fast laps may be mutually exclusive. It's VERY difficult to keep temps down (even @ ~320hp - never mind ~400hp) thereby limiting ones ability to drive the snot out of the car on the track.

Anyway, thanks for the input and keep at it! You might want to take a peak @ COMSCC.com ... primarily a northeast group, but they do have a date @ Summit. Great opportunity to time trial with a great group of guys who are interested in squeezing the last tenth of a second out of a lap.
No Cones is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 10:24 AM
  #18  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZumspdRX-7
if i had a truck and trailer i would love to tow my car up. but if something happens id be 6 hours away from home. for now, Lime Rock will be my home. thanks for all the advice though, i truly do appreciate it.

Don't let that hold you back. There are many folks who trailer and more that don't. If you have a problem there's always someone willing & able to tow you back...(right Jack? ) might cost ya a dinner and some libations!
No Cones is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 10:32 AM
  #19  
Lives on the Forum
iTrader: (8)
 
ptrhahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,492
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds similar to mine, except that I haven't smoked from the hoosier crack pipe yet. Nor am I running aggressive brake pads... Nick's lapping day compound. 1:24's at Summit and 2:10's at WGI I think are about the limit of the car's potential, and will be my targets once I'm on Hoosiers and PFC 01's, and put a few more days in on each.




Originally Posted by No Cones
Nothin special for power...typical stage 3 stuff on a stock motor stock turbos, dp, stock cat, cat-back, and typical suspension stuff... coilovers, front sway, toe & trailing arm links, Willwood fr brakes, CCW rims & Hoosiers. Don't want to down-play the mods, the car is very well sorted w/ most attention paid to suspension. You do NOT need big power to turn good lap times. As has been argued in the past, alot of power & fast laps may be mutually exclusive. It's VERY difficult to keep temps down (even @ ~320hp - never mind ~400hp) thereby limiting ones ability to drive the snot out of the car on the track.

Anyway, thanks for the input and keep at it! You might want to take a peak @ COMSCC.com ... primarily a northeast group, but they do have a date @ Summit. Great opportunity to time trial with a great group of guys who are interested in squeezing the last tenth of a second out of a lap.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 10:35 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA 02130
Posts: 495
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by No Cones
Don't let that hold you back. There are many folks who trailer and more that don't. If you have a problem there's always someone willing & able to tow you back...(right Jack? ) might cost ya a dinner and some libations!

The first time was free, Watkins Glen...drove your car home mine was on your trailer... Second time, car blew up on the way back from the Glen as I entered MA.... We had to go back to pick my car up...tip was $100.00...
Jack is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 10:47 AM
  #21  
All out Track Freak!
iTrader: (261)
 
Fritz Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Charlottesville VA 22901
Posts: 10,313
Received 106 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by No Cones
The lack of posts answering the question of why people choose not to time trial is very revealing... What is more revealing is that there are more posts and more interest regarding an incredibly innane topic such as "which is better a mini or an FD".... Give me a f***ing break!

It seems much has changed since I last paid attention. Too many FD cream puffs for my taste...
LOL.

Great attitude, I love this ****

VIR full 2:07 (shitty tires but car running well on a clean track)
VIR North 1:41 (time trial with old hoosiers)
VIR South 1:16 (time trial with old hoosiers)
VIR Grand 3:06 (street tires and 1st time on the track)

Summit Full 1:23 (slight on and off drizzle with old slicks and car running well)

These times were all in highly modded single turbo FDs running low boost at approx 10 or 11 psi that weigh about 2600lbs.
Fritz Flynn is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 10:58 AM
  #22  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack
The first time was free, Watkins Glen...drove your car home mine was on your trailer... Second time, car blew up on the way back from the Glen as I entered MA.... We had to go back to pick my car up...tip was $100.00...
Ahh...the good old days. At least my car does me the favor of blowing-up in the garage... considerate don't you think?

For any afraid to travel to events...don't be. Assuming the event is put on by a local group, or there is a good number of local folks attending...there will always be space on someones trailer to get ya home if all doesn't go well.
No Cones is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 10:59 AM
  #23  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
LOL.

Great attitude, I love this ****

VIR full 2:07 (shitty tires but car running well on a clean track)
VIR North 1:41 (time trial with old hoosiers)
VIR South 1:16 (time trial with old hoosiers)
VIR Grand 3:06 (street tires and 1st time on the track)

Summit Full 1:23 (slight on and off drizzle with old slicks and car running well)

These times were all in highly modded single turbo FDs running low boost at approx 10 or 11 psi that weigh about 2600lbs.

Thanks Fritz...for the support and the contribution...

At some point I'll compile all the data gathered on this thread. With any luck there will be some value-added...
No Cones is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 11:06 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA 02130
Posts: 495
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...there will always be space on someones trailer to get ya home if all doesn't go well.[/QUOTE]


That's what I'm counting on Honey.....

Last edited by Jack; 06-30-06 at 11:10 AM.
Jack is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 11:35 AM
  #25  
Full Member
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptrhahn
Sounds similar to mine, except that I haven't smoked from the hoosier crack pipe yet. Nor am I running aggressive brake pads... Nick's lapping day compound. 1:24's at Summit and 2:10's at WGI I think are about the limit of the car's potential, and will be my targets once I'm on Hoosiers and PFC 01's, and put a few more days in on each.
Don't kid yourself regarding the car's potential. If I'm not mistaken Brian Richards was running 2:09s at the Glenn in a Motorolla Cup FD... i.e., admittedly light, however, skinny tires, stock sized brakes, probably ~ 320 hp.

I have learned...no one here has extracted all the FD's potential. Seat time, seat time, seat time.
No Cones is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are your lap times???


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: