Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

Auto X. Which class do I fall into?

Old 04-11-06, 09:42 PM
  #1  
Potato Love
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Larz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Normal, Illinois
Posts: 1,344
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto X. Which class do I fall into?

I went to an auto x beginner's school and free run event last weekend. I am now officially addicted. I downloaded the SCCA rulebook, and had a few questions.
With my mods( mods are in the sig), which class would I be in?
Super Stock Street Touring correct? If not, why? And where can I get removable numbers? Summit racing has nada.
Larz is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 09:49 PM
  #2  
Full Member
 
Jabberwocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 94
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can probably just run Superstock or ASP and most people won't care. I think legally you are in SM2.
Jabberwocky is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 09:55 PM
  #3  
Potato Love
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Larz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Normal, Illinois
Posts: 1,344
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What puts me in that class?
Larz is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 10:03 PM
  #4  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The downpipe kicks you out of SS. You can run SM2 or ASP with those mods. I can't remember which is more restrictive, but I think generally you should stick to ASP for now
Section8 is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 10:11 PM
  #5  
Potato Love
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Larz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Normal, Illinois
Posts: 1,344
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
****. okay. Thanks. But in that class I'm allowed everything from the previous ones (like high flow cat) and tires with a 140 wear rating?
Larz is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 07:20 AM
  #6  
Imp
Full Member
5 Year Member
 
Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Mass
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legal for Stock:
EBC Green Pads
Apex'i Autotimer

Not legal for stock, but legal for ASP or SM2 (your choice):
Koyo Radiator
HKS Downpipe
Apex'i Intake
RB Sway Bar Brace
Suspension Solutions Strut Bar
Pettit AST
FC Thermoswitch
RE Torque Brace
Corksport stainless brake lines

In any class the car being discussed above is legal for, it's allowed any DOT tire. (Ie: R-compound all the way through street tires.) So yes, you can run tires with 140 treadwear, but the R-compounds are faster... unless your region has a specific Street Tire class for modified cars like yours. (The 7 isn't legal for any of of the SCCAs Street Tire classes, but regions are allowed to add on new classes as they see fit. Yours may be one of them)

What's the link to your regions website?

--KC
Imp is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 08:29 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
SPICcnmGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 728
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your definately not suppose to be in SS but you could probably get away with it at a regional level. You should probably be in SM2 due to the stainless lines, because if I remember right all you can do to the brakes in ASP is change the rotors/pads to another stock size rotor/pad(slotted/crossdrilled).

But I would probably just shoot for ASP on a regional level.
SPICcnmGT is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 08:30 AM
  #8  
Potato Love
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Larz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Normal, Illinois
Posts: 1,344
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Imp
Legal for Stock:
EBC Green Pads
Apex'i Autotimer

Not legal for stock, but legal for ASP or SM2 (your choice):
Koyo Radiator
HKS Downpipe
Apex'i Intake
RB Sway Bar Brace
Suspension Solutions Strut Bar
Pettit AST
FC Thermoswitch
RE Torque Brace
Corksport stainless brake lines

In any class the car being discussed above is legal for, it's allowed any DOT tire. (Ie: R-compound all the way through street tires.) So yes, you can run tires with 140 treadwear, but the R-compounds are faster... unless your region has a specific Street Tire class for modified cars like yours. (The 7 isn't legal for any of of the SCCAs Street Tire classes, but regions are allowed to add on new classes as they see fit. Yours may be one of them)

What's the link to your regions website?

--KC
Here's the link to who runs everything. Small car club, so small site. http://ccsportscarclub.org/
Thanks for the advice on the tires. Those seem to be my single most limiting factor, besides me. I was able to get consitent and shave a little bit off my times as the day went by, but I was wanting to take advangtage of my power more. I'm running goodyear all season H rated tires right now. I drove my friends virtually unmodded miata, and even that was hard to control on all seasons. I thought the 140s was the least treadwear according to the rule book. A guy at the event said 100s for most street classes.
Larz is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 09:14 AM
  #9  
Bare Metal Racing
5 Year Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 222
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For removable numers and anything needed for autox try SoloPerformance Specialties. Here's their link: http://www.soloperformance.com/ they are really good people and service is excellent. They recently purchased Solotime so they now also have a full line of reuseable declas and stickers. The company is run by autoxr's and they sponsor the MidDiv events and well as numerous other midwestern events.
bschnard is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 09:26 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
JDuncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 701
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless something has changed drastically in street prepared in two years time, braided stainless brake lines are still legal there.


Edit. Double checked it for myself.

from 2006 Rule book in the Street Prepared allowable modifications...

15.6 BRAKES
Vehicles may only exceed the allowances of 13.6 as specified herein.
A. Any brake line, single or dual master cylinder, vacuum brake
booster, or brake proportioning valves may be used. This does
not allow multiple separate cylinders, but does allow for any
single, dual-circuit cylinder. “Safety brakers” and units such as
the “Brake Guard System” are permitted. ABS braking systems
may be disabled, but not removed; brake boosters may be removed
or added. Air ducts may be fitted to the brakes, provided
that they extend in a forward direction only, and that no change
are made in the body/structure for their use. They may serve no
other purpose. Backing plates and dirt shields may be modified
or removed.
B. Cross-drilled and/or slotted brake rotors may be used, provided
the replacement rotors have the same dimensions as standard
rotors and are of a standard-type construction and of ferrous
metallic material. This does not permit the use of a two-piece
hat/rotor assembly unless the standard configuration is twopiece.
Emphasis on "any" in the first line. Sorry for the red, but it pasted in a funky color for some reason.

Last edited by JDuncan; 04-12-06 at 09:43 AM.
JDuncan is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 09:48 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
SPICcnmGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 728
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah you're right.

Also good tires will be your best upgrade by far, that is besides seat time. If I was you I would run a season on street tires then next season get some good sticky tires. Street tires are usually easier to find the limit of, and will give you more time driving your car right on that edge giving you a better feel of the limits of the car.
SPICcnmGT is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 10:04 AM
  #12  
Imp
Full Member
5 Year Member
 
Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Mass
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SPICcnmGT
Yeah you're right.

Also good tires will be your best upgrade by far, that is besides seat time. If I was you I would run a season on street tires then next season get some good sticky tires. Street tires are usually easier to find the limit of, and will give you more time driving your car right on that edge giving you a better feel of the limits of the car.
2nded.

--kC
Imp is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 10:07 AM
  #13  
Imp
Full Member
5 Year Member
 
Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Mass
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Larz
Here's the link to who runs everything. Small car club, so small site. http://ccsportscarclub.org/
Thanks for the advice on the tires. Those seem to be my single most limiting factor, besides me. I was able to get consitent and shave a little bit off my times as the day went by, but I was wanting to take advangtage of my power more. I'm running goodyear all season H rated tires right now. I drove my friends virtually unmodded miata, and even that was hard to control on all seasons. I thought the 140s was the least treadwear according to the rule book. A guy at the event said 100s for most street classes.
Ok, it doesn't look like you have classes different than what's in the rulebooks. So the classes would be ASP or SM2.

--kC
Imp is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 11:05 AM
  #14  
DFW Drunk by Proxy
10 Year Member
 
Umrswimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Valley Ranch, Tx
Posts: 2,291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a sway-bar brace? The strut tower brace is allowed in SP (as is your engine torque brace, assunming it has spherical bearings at each end), but I'm not familiar with a sway-bar brace?
Umrswimr is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 11:11 AM
  #15  
Potato Love
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Larz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Normal, Illinois
Posts: 1,344
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Umrswimr
What is a sway-bar brace? The strut tower brace is allowed in SP (as is your engine torque brace, assunming it has spherical bearings at each end), but I'm not familiar with a sway-bar brace?
It's offered by racing beat. The sway bar mounts on our cars can crack, so this beefs them up and provides suppport. about 90 bucks and really easy to install.
Larz is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 02:02 PM
  #16  
DFW Drunk by Proxy
10 Year Member
 
Umrswimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Valley Ranch, Tx
Posts: 2,291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In which case it's not legal in SP... No chassis bracing is allowed except a strut tower brace and a rollbar/cage. Not that anyone would notice (and even if they did, I doubt they'd say much).

Specifically, secton 15.7:
...Non-standard lateral members whch cnnect between the brackets for the bar are not permitted.
Umrswimr is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 09:46 PM
  #17  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your mods put you into SM2. The Racing Beat reinforced swaybar mount does not follow ASP rules. "Non-standard lateral members which connect between the brackets for the bar are not permitted." There are other reinforced mounts that can be used as they do not connect the 2 mounting points.

Last edited by Chadwick; 04-12-06 at 09:58 PM.
Chadwick is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 10:15 PM
  #18  
Potato Love
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Larz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Normal, Illinois
Posts: 1,344
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like the ones that RE sells?
Larz is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 10:21 PM
  #19  
Mr Sparkles
10 Year Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Chadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Smyrna, TN, USA
Posts: 785
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Larz
Like the ones that RE sells?
Never seen the RE mounts, the ones I use are made by Tri-point and sold through Mazdamotorsports.
Chadwick is offline  
Old 04-13-06, 07:05 AM
  #20  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chadwick
Your mods put you into SM2. The Racing Beat reinforced swaybar mount does not follow ASP rules. "Non-standard lateral members which connect between the brackets for the bar are not permitted." There are other reinforced mounts that can be used as they do not connect the 2 mounting points.
That sucks (but understandable from a rulebook view) since that piece does nothing for performance.
Section8 is offline  
Old 04-13-06, 07:20 AM
  #21  
Potato Love
10 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Larz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Normal, Illinois
Posts: 1,344
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Section8
That sucks (but understandable from a rulebook view) since that piece does nothing for performance.
Yeah it's completely for reliability, along with my downpipe (but that does give some power, so I understand that). I hope what mazdamotorsports offers can keep those mounts from cracking. What about differential braces?
Larz is offline  
Old 04-13-06, 11:43 AM
  #22  
DFW Drunk by Proxy
10 Year Member
 
Umrswimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Valley Ranch, Tx
Posts: 2,291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Larz
Yeah it's completely for reliability, along with my downpipe (but that does give some power, so I understand that). I hope what mazdamotorsports offers can keep those mounts from cracking. What about differential braces?
Some people have been known to run a DP in SS, even.

A diff brace is definately not allowed in SP. You're stuck in SM2.
Umrswimr is offline  
Old 04-13-06, 01:22 PM
  #23  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Larz
Yeah it's completely for reliability, along with my downpipe (but that does give some power, so I understand that). I hope what mazdamotorsports offers can keep those mounts from cracking. What about differential braces?
It will help, but the best way to keep them from cracking is to replace them with the Widefoot mounts, they completely replace the stock mounts and reengineer the way they work.
Section8 is offline  
Old 04-13-06, 01:23 PM
  #24  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Section8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Umrswimr
Some people have been known to run a DP in SS, even.

A diff brace is definately not allowed in SP. You're stuck in SM2.
I ran a DP in SS in my first season of autox, mainly because I didn't know any better and the region was really lax. I switched to ASP after that season.
Section8 is offline  
Old 04-13-06, 01:27 PM
  #25  
Dan Cernese
10 Year Member
 
dhcernese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Pepperell, MA
Posts: 208
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
widefoot

Originally Posted by Section8
It will help, but the best way to keep them from cracking is to replace them with the Widefoot mounts, they completely replace the stock mounts and reengineer the way they work.
I've done this, they are engineered well, they're the way to go, and they're stock legal.
dhcernese is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto X. Which class do I fall into?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: