Race Car Tech Discuss anything related to road racing and auto X.

Alignment, V710s: lets talk

Old 07-10-08, 10:34 AM
  #1  
Looks ahead!
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
jdmsuper7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ephrata, PA
Posts: 1,079
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment, V710s: lets talk

Posted this in the suspension/tires section, but I think I might get a better response here:

Just in time for the upcoming ProSolo and Divisionals, I lucked into some 225/45/17 V710s. They are going on a FC with Koni Yellows (stock valving), 375/275 (will go a bit higher at some point, like 450/350) GCs, and stock sways for the moment. The car is going to get aligned next week. What settings do these things tend to like? I have a ton of front camber since I installed the suspension, should I keep it at like 2 deg or so? Any other things to worry about like toe? I think the car is gonna push like crazy on this setup, so I'd like to get it a bit more tail happy for killing cones

I was reading that I don't need to worry much about keeping them cool (I always hosed my Azenis off between runs), and that I should keep the pressures low, like 30 or 32 psi cold if the car is stiffly sprung. I know it is gonna be a big switch from street tires, but I want to make it as painless as possible so I can concentrate on learning to drive on r-comps.

Any thoughts guys? Only street miles are driving to events.
jdmsuper7 is offline  
Old 07-10-08, 10:53 AM
  #2  
The Silent but Deadly Mod
iTrader: (2)
 
Roen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NYC/T.O.
Posts: 4,045
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdmsuper7 View Post
Posted this in the suspension/tires section, but I think I might get a better response here:

Just in time for the upcoming ProSolo and Divisionals, I lucked into some 225/45/17 V710s. They are going on a FC with Koni Yellows (stock valving), 375/275 (will go a bit higher at some point, like 450/350) GCs, and stock sways for the moment. The car is going to get aligned next week. What settings do these things tend to like? I have a ton of front camber since I installed the suspension, should I keep it at like 2 deg or so? Any other things to worry about like toe? I think the car is gonna push like crazy on this setup, so I'd like to get it a bit more tail happy for killing cones

I was reading that I don't need to worry much about keeping them cool (I always hosed my Azenis off between runs), and that I should keep the pressures low, like 30 or 32 psi cold if the car is stiffly sprung. I know it is gonna be a big switch from street tires, but I want to make it as painless as possible so I can concentrate on learning to drive on r-comps.

Any thoughts guys? Only street miles are driving to events.
I hope you have the camber caster plates. I would set up for a lot of camber (-3.5 to -4) and a slight toe-out (-0.05 to -0.20). In the rear, keep it between -1.0 and -1.5, with toe between 0 to toe-in of 0.15.
Roen is offline  
Old 07-10-08, 10:56 AM
  #3  
Looks ahead!
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
jdmsuper7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ephrata, PA
Posts: 1,079
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roen View Post
I hope you have the camber caster plates. I would set up for a lot of camber (-3.5 to -4) and a slight toe-out (-0.05 to -0.20). In the rear, keep it between -1.0 and -1.5, with toe between 0 to toe-in of 0.15.
I do have both, but only for the front.

4 degrees!? Seriously? Is that to try to compensate for the spring rates?
jdmsuper7 is offline  
Old 07-10-08, 12:05 PM
  #4  
Armchair engineer
iTrader: (2)
 
j9fd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: http://www.k2rd.com
Posts: 24,576
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 112 Posts
been a long time since we ran v710's, but 31-32 psi should be HOT.
j9fd3s is online now  
Old 07-10-08, 01:12 PM
  #5  
The Silent but Deadly Mod
iTrader: (2)
 
Roen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NYC/T.O.
Posts: 4,045
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdmsuper7 View Post
I do have both, but only for the front.

4 degrees!? Seriously? Is that to try to compensate for the spring rates?
It's the fact that FC's suck for camber gain while cornering. Set it up at 3.5 first, and use a tire pyrometer to figure out if you need more or less.

I have rear camber aids for sale if you want. Both the subframe adjuster and the individual links.

I'll also be in Albany this weekend, if you want to arrange a pickup.
Roen is offline  
Old 07-10-08, 02:05 PM
  #6  
Looks ahead!
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
jdmsuper7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ephrata, PA
Posts: 1,079
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might have to take you up on the links, but I won't be able to meet this weekend.

Looks like I'm gonna need to buy a pyrometer too.
jdmsuper7 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Coochas
1st Generation Specific (1979-1985)
43
06-13-19 02:31 AM
Smokeyfb33
Old School and Other Rotary
10
10-01-15 12:10 PM
Devon Murray
Introduce yourself
2
09-25-15 09:41 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alignment, V710s: lets talk


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: