Other Engine Conversions - non V-8 Discussion of non-rotary engines, exc V-8's, in a car originally powered by a Rotary Engine.

Rb26dett swap

Old 05-31-09, 11:48 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: tulsa,ok
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FL Rb26dett swap

i know I'm gonna get flamed,and ive searched but does anyone know of anyone who makes a prefabbed mount kit?or any ideas to go about sourcing one.I dont care to hear about not doing it or whatever else .I'd just like to find out where I can find one
1fastmr2 is offline  
Old 06-01-09, 12:08 AM
  #2  
Full Member
 
RedDragon777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mercedes, TX
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are talking about sticking a Nissan engine into a Mazda. Its like saying you want prefabbed mounts so you can stick an LS1 into a Mustang. Nothing is prefabbed so just make them yourself or get a shop to make some for you. This is something that requires alot of thought and planning before even trying to stick the engine in.
RedDragon777 is offline  
Old 06-01-09, 12:13 AM
  #3  
Listen to King Diamond.
iTrader: (4)
 
need RX7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 2,775
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I don't think you'll find anything pre-fabbed for that swap, I've only seen it done a handful of times. Maybe work something out with one of the companies putting out V8 kits?
need RX7 is offline  
Old 06-01-09, 12:15 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: tulsa,ok
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedDragon777 View Post
You are talking about sticking a Nissan engine into a Mazda. Its like saying you want prefabbed mounts so you can stick an LS1 into a Mustang. Nothing is prefabbed so just make them yourself or get a shop to make some for you. This is something that requires alot of thought and planning before even trying to stick the engine in.
dude what rock do you live under,they make swap kits to put ls1s into mustangs.Also about 5-6 prefabbed kits for fcs....You should do some research before you say something you know nothing about
1fastmr2 is offline  
Old 06-01-09, 01:48 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: sac
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A 1jz or 2jz would be a better choice if you want a I6 turbo. You realize that the rb26 is inferior correct?

Tech2 makes a swap kit for the jz motors.
Sketch_hs is offline  
Old 06-01-09, 02:15 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: tulsa,ok
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yah i saw tech2's set up,haha ive just got a hardon for the rb26 for some reason.The 1jz is my next choice but i dont know i just want the rb26.
1fastmr2 is offline  
Old 06-01-09, 10:05 PM
  #7  
RB Power!
iTrader: (1)
 
rXzach93fd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Belleville, IL
Posts: 314
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a rb25 in my fd. It was a huge pain in the *** to do everything. Although it was worth it in the end I would strongly reccomend going with the 2jz and the tech 2 kit. It sucks because the exhaust is on the wrong side on the nissan motors for this swap. Good luck on whatever you decide.
rXzach93fd is offline  
Old 06-01-09, 10:21 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: tulsa,ok
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yah thats what I was wondering,well thanks for the heads up.
1fastmr2 is offline  
Old 06-02-09, 03:21 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: sac
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jz > rb
Sketch_hs is offline  
Old 06-02-09, 05:28 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: tulsa,ok
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opinions are like ******** man,everyone has got one.
1fastmr2 is offline  
Old 06-03-09, 10:51 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: sac
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not a opinion.

JZ engines cost less, make more power and are more reliable. There is more information available on them, replacement parts are easily available, there are parts to make it a nearly bolt in, plug and play swap.


rb engines cost more and are harder to get. They are proven to make less power and be less reliable on stock internals. Not to mention there are no parts available state side.

If you want an I6, the logical engine is the JZ motor. A rb26 would be for the "hype" and nothing else.

That is unless you already have the full swap lying around. Then my all means go for it. But a JZ swap would be better in every category and that's fact.
Sketch_hs is offline  
Old 06-03-09, 01:27 PM
  #12  
Rotary Freak
10 Year Member
iTrader: (7)
 
sub9lulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 2,739
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fact is theres never a mass production car sold legally in the US with the RB engine
you are in trouble if u blow a couple bearings

good luck
sub9lulu is offline  
Old 06-05-09, 09:08 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: south dakota
Posts: 547
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sketch_hs View Post
It's not a opinion.

JZ engines cost less, make more power and are more reliable. There is more information available on them, replacement parts are easily available, there are parts to make it a nearly bolt in, plug and play swap.


rb engines cost more and are harder to get. They are proven to make less power and be less reliable on stock internals. Not to mention there are no parts available state side.

If you want an I6, the logical engine is the JZ motor. A rb26 would be for the "hype" and nothing else.

That is unless you already have the full swap lying around. Then my all means go for it. But a JZ swap would be better in every category and that's fact.
I could not disagree with this post more. 2JZ motorsets and RB motors sets cost roughly the same. RB not reliable on stock internals? people take this to 500+ on stock internals all the time. (its called tuning) 2JZ motor isnt hype?

And i know of plenty of places that either stock RB parts or could get them within a few days.

2JZ is also a more difficult engine to fit than an RB.

how about them apples
driftking777 is offline  
Old 06-05-09, 09:20 PM
  #14  
RB Power!
iTrader: (1)
 
rXzach93fd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Belleville, IL
Posts: 314
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by driftking777 View Post
i could not disagree with this post more. 2jz motorsets and rb motors sets cost roughly the same. Rb not reliable on stock internals? People take this to 500+ on stock internals all the time. (its called tuning) 2jz motor isnt hype?

And i know of plenty of places that either stock rb parts or could get them within a few days.

2jz is also a more difficult engine to fit than an rb.

How about them apples :d
+1
rXzach93fd is offline  
Old 06-05-09, 10:14 PM
  #15  
Manual Rack
iTrader: (50)
 
FelixIsGod29X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wanaque NJ
Posts: 3,652
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are all good motors. Stop hating and let people do what they wanna do. Im sure they dont make mounts for RB to RX. Just custom fab it. But also you know you will need a custom driveshaft, standalone, you cant use the RB26 trans because its a AWD trans and you need the RB25 trans and ect...It all adds up to the point that you should have just stayed rotary.
FelixIsGod29X is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 01:47 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: sac
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by driftking777 View Post
I could not disagree with this post more. 2JZ motorsets and RB motors sets cost roughly the same. RB not reliable on stock internals? people take this to 500+ on stock internals all the time. (its called tuning) 2JZ motor isnt hype?

And i know of plenty of places that either stock RB parts or could get them within a few days.

2JZ is also a more difficult engine to fit than an RB.

how about them apples

People make 1000hp on stock 2jz. All business!

You can get 2jz parts at a toyota dealership, online or even at an auto part retailer like autozone or whatever.

You can't deny that 2jz parts are cheaper and easier to get. We also have the strong and cheap r154 5 speed easily and cheaply available.

They make more power for less money... indisputable.

Show me a complete rb26 motor (ecu harness etc) set under 1900!

JZ > RB ... always!

Anyways, I realize this logic could be applied to the concept of even using a I6 over a v8 at all. After all a LS1 is probably a better swap (lighter, bigger, etc)

It does just come down to a matter of personal preference. If you are really set on doing the rb26 swap... go for it! But if you want to pick the best I6 regardless of brand etc. , I would recommend you go with a JZ swap.


Anyways good luck.
Sketch_hs is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 02:04 AM
  #17  
Torqueless Wonder
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cptpain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Killeen, Texas, U.S.A.
Posts: 2,018
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you really want that RB26... you're going to have to invest heavily into the oiling system.

The RB's oiling system is very weak.... which is counter productive to a motor that can rev to 8k
cptpain is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 09:14 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: south dakota
Posts: 547
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sketch_hs View Post
People make 1000hp on stock 2jz. All business!

You can get 2jz parts at a toyota dealership, online or even at an auto part retailer like autozone or whatever.

You can't deny that 2jz parts are cheaper and easier to get. We also have the strong and cheap r154 5 speed easily and cheaply available.

They make more power for less money... indisputable.

Show me a complete rb26 motor (ecu harness etc) set under 1900!

JZ > RB ... always!

Anyways, I realize this logic could be applied to the concept of even using a I6 over a v8 at all. After all a LS1 is probably a better swap (lighter, bigger, etc)

It does just come down to a matter of personal preference. If you are really set on doing the rb26 swap... go for it! But if you want to pick the best I6 regardless of brand etc. , I would recommend you go with a JZ swap.


Anyways good luck.
You are correct you can go to the dealership and get 2jz parts, typically of which are not in stock and have to be ordered which will take 2 days to a week (i work at a dealership i know)

2JZ motors DO make more power easier, HOWEVER, 2JZ motorsets are not as cheap as you make it sound, if your picking up 2JZ's for 1900 (im guessing motor ecu harness only, no tranny) i would hate to see them.

I have done a 2JZ swap before, the motorset W/ R154 tranny cost me nearly 3k. In which i can get a RB25/6 motor set WITH tranny for that price also.

Anywho, its a pissing match, I like both motors, but your blinded i believe by the fact you think the 2JZ is the cure all for power. To be honest in the short time i had my 2JZ i hated it.

Thats right i said it. Good power, piece of **** to work on.
driftking777 is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 11:26 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: sac
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I did the swap on my mkiv, I got the R154 for $300 and the swap for $2200... it was all in great condition and runs great till this day.

You have to shop around to get the best deal (obviously)

When I did valve steam seals on it they had the parts in stock at my local dealer. Maybe it's different in South Dakota?

I've always found the 2jz a pleasure to work on, then again I never even ran the stock turbos lol
Sketch_hs is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 04:01 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: south dakota
Posts: 547
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a difference between working a a 2JZ in a supra and one in a rx7 or 240. (note that)

Im not a big far of "shopping around" typically because your cheapest bidder (if you will) is typically just some schmo company trying to make money on motors they no nothing about or the condition of them. So i always buy from reputable companies.

as far as the tranny goes i believe i paid 800 bucks, plus i had to buy a shifter extension as the stock one sits to far forward. (im guessing the same issue would arise on a rx7) Which is typically a $125 piece by itself.

As far as you valve stem seals they very well can also cross reference from other motors (same valve size ect.) therefore it would typically be in stock. (and yes being in south dakota does make a difference obviously as we dont have alot of supras running around here) And your in cali chances are SOMEBODY i going to have a part you need within a day of driving. (or delivering.) OP is from Oklahoma, chances are they dont have many there either.
driftking777 is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 04:03 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: south dakota
Posts: 547
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sketch_hs View Post
I've always found the 2jz a pleasure to work on, then again I never even ran the stock turbos lol
just noticed this part, chances are if your not running stock turbos anymore than chances are your not running the factory vacuum mess up on top (atleast i wouldnt) That is alot of the pain, plus the twin setup is a PITA to work around. So yes, in your case it simplifies alot. lol
driftking777 is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 06:29 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: sac
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^ I made my shifter extension with about $10 worth of metal :O

I got my engine from a local importer that i've purchased over 20 engines and transmissions from (i fix up cars on a regular basis) and it was super clean In fact I've never had an issue with anything I bought from them!

They do compression, leak-down and oil pressure checks on every engine they sell, with a 6 mo warranty

this is all from attarco in sacramento BTW

They are also practically throwing distance from me... and they know me by first name
This might have been a factor in the deals i got....

Just remember cash talks and it helps to know people
Sketch_hs is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 07:30 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: south dakota
Posts: 547
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sketch_hs View Post
^ I made my shifter extension with about $10 worth of metal :O

I got my engine from a local importer that i've purchased over 20 engines and transmissions from (i fix up cars on a regular basis) and it was super clean In fact I've never had an issue with anything I bought from them!

They do compression, leak-down and oil pressure checks on every engine they sell, with a 6 mo warranty

this is all from attarco in sacramento BTW

They are also practically throwing distance from me... and they know me by first name
This might have been a factor in the deals i got....

Just remember cash talks and it helps to know people
Not everyone is stones throw from a engine distributor so shipping is a huge issue for 75% of people buying.

Yes shifter extensions can be made cheap, how nice did it look?
driftking777 is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 08:17 PM
  #24  
Wangan Nasty
10 Year Member
 
Miata_mx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Irvine, Southern California
Posts: 1,779
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Listen to the smart people.

JZ > RB.

Only reason i am building the RB is because i don't want to waste my time with a swap, and i like the challenge.
Miata_mx5 is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 08:49 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: sac
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by driftking777 View Post
Not everyone is stones throw from a engine distributor so shipping is a huge issue for 75% of people buying.

Yes shifter extensions can be made cheap, how nice did it look?
let's just say not everyone has a couple years of fab experience and a nice TIG at home too

It looks great....

But I wouldn't care. You don't see it when driving the car or even under the hood.

Sketch_hs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rb26dett swap


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: