1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

LED Circular Tailights

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-02, 06:38 PM
I can has a Hemi? Yes...

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up LED Circular Tailights

I have copied this over from another thread, "Avergage age of FB'ers"

As it was going WAYY Off Topic, and I want more input from other members.

Originally posted by djs2571
got my 84 GSL-SE with 96k on it in june of 2000 at 23yrs old. It was previously beaten, noted by the bad supplimental wiring in places and the absent oil cooler, not to mention no emission hookup to the cat, so only 4 ports for a long time. Even had the right rear trailing arm link half ripped (rusted) off the car, so a nice welding project to start with.
I have had to weld the drivers side since then, new 'home made' exhaust from the cat back. all 3 cats are empty... what was left wasn't doin anything anyway. Still no oil cooler but it's been fine until a heater return hose slowly leaked coolant until I overheated and the low coolant light came on. I think that's what caused the recent (at 140k) prob with coolant blowing out due to an engine seal leak.
But all said... 145k and while not doing great, still doing good enough for a daily driver.

And i've got a cool light I made for the rear

BTW, if anyone has a GSL-SE for sale i'm looking for another one... that's not rusted out from northern winters.

Originally posted by Directfreak

Hey, pretty cool. How'd did you (specifically) do that?

I have an extra set of tailights that I want to convert to LED Tailights to see what they look like.

Post the Info..
Originally posted by djs2571
I used 128 superbright LED's, driven in pairs from my running lights. Each pair uses a 560ohm resistor to limit the current to about 17mA at 14V. There are good and bad points to how you wire it, use more energy thus heat, or low power and then they can dim when the battery voltage drops at all. Depending if you have a stereo or something hooked up as well makes part of the diff.
I used autocad to do the layout of the lights in a piece of plastic which is the same size (but a little thicker ) as the original center plastic plate between the lights. But it still looks stock for anyone lookin at it while driving, it sticks out about 1/8" from the lights on either side.
The plastic is fairly opaque, so when the LED's are off you can't see anything at all. The holes are drilled from the back, just close enough to be seen through it. A tip... use some nail polish in the holes of the plastic, it seals in any cut marks from the drill, and glues the LED's in place.
As for mounting, The original 2 bolt holes were used, I drilled through my plastic panel and mounted bolts, then filled the visable side with potting compound that pretty closely matches the plastic I used.
As for converting a set of taillights, I think you'd have to take the whole inside reflective lens out, and replace that with a plate full of LED's. Do get the brightest LED's you can find, my red ones I think are 1700mcd, I should have gotten the 2300's (I think those are the numbers). Just get the brightest ones you can get, although it does end up being an expense.
As for your yellow lights, you'll have to look to see how bright of an LED you can get in yellow, there may not be enough space to be as bright as the original.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Directfreak
In my town, the local Buses have Circular LED Tailights, Stop Lamps, and yellow Turn signals which I have been thinking of using for custom tailights.

I have been thinking of those tailights, (not exactly as those pictured) to be on a first Gen.

Since they are circular, they would look like the 90's tailights (actually 70's)

What do you think?
Old 03-24-02, 09:13 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not just buy a car with some lights already there? Thats what I did They are dim at night, but I really dont care. They come on with the running lights. I got a set of lights I am goin to put behind them to makem brighter. I also got a pair of fog lights or somtin on it, but the dont turn on, and when I hook them up directly to the battery, they turned white on the inside of the bulb But I leave them on there for looks They dont look bad at all. Well here you go..... Oh yeah I am gonna make a custom light thing that can be just bolted in place. Well LATERZ,
Andrew
Old 03-24-02, 09:17 PM
I can has a Hemi? Yes...

Originally posted by 79+80_rx-7
Why not just buy a car with some lights already there? Thats what I did They are dim at night, but I really dont care. They come on with the running lights. I got a set of lights I am goin to put behind them to makem brighter. I also got a pair of fog lights or somtin on it, but the dont turn on, and when I hook them up directly to the battery, they turned white on the inside of the bulb But I leave them on there for looks They dont look bad at all. Well here you go..... Oh yeah I am gonna make a custom light thing that can be just bolted in place. Well LATERZ,
Andrew
Uh.... What?
Old 03-24-02, 09:25 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Just go to the thread listed below, the stupid server wont let me post pics twice, so go here https://www.rx7club.com/forum/showth...threadid=52002
LATERZ,
Andrew
Old 03-24-02, 09:28 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Sorry, you beat me damnit ^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-24-02, 09:33 PM
I can has a Hemi? Yes...

Are you referring to this?

These don't work on the 81+ Rex's.
and that's not LED's
and that is fugly.
Old 03-24-02, 09:39 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

yada, yada, yada
Old 03-25-02, 01:05 AM
Rotary Freak

how bout my taillights,
still need to put in my led bulbs though.

Old 03-25-02, 01:06 AM
Rotary Freak

heres another,
they dont look so orange in real life

Old 03-25-02, 01:07 AM
Rotary Freak

oh yeah theres also blinker lights next to the regular lights,
but i didnt think of turning them on.
Old 03-25-02, 01:09 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

They look good, but i dont think the pics do them justice
Old 03-25-02, 01:12 AM
I can has a Hemi? Yes...

Originally posted by V8kilr
oh yeah theres also blinker lights next to the regular lights,
but i didnt think of turning them on.
Yeah, pretty much that look, but with LED's.
Old 03-25-02, 01:12 AM
Rotary Freak

yeah shity digital camera,
the res is like 320x4???
i dont know,
i do know it sucks.
when the led's are in its gonna be nice.
Old 03-25-02, 01:19 AM
smog nazi destroyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
v8kilr: email me.. i have some questions for you on how you did your taillights... i want to make mine black like that (with a black finishing plate).

felix@atg1.com

thanks
Old 03-25-02, 01:39 AM
Seven Is Coming

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn it you guys...I came up with this idea a while ago...I even asked if anyone was working on it so we could maybe get together and do it . I was hoping that if anyone liked the idea that we could work on making kits for it and everything...GRRRR!!! The one good idea I have and no one talks to me about it...Oh well .

https://www.rx7club.com/forum/showth...threadid=57580

~T.J.
Old 03-25-02, 01:55 AM
Rotary Freak

my tail lights have been like that for a long time,
anyway i'll be selling a custom kit on my site around the same time i get the sleepy headlight kit done.
im currently trying to get a distributor with good deals on led bulds,not single bulbs but the actual tail light bulbs.
if i can get a good enough deal i'll make up some complete bolt in sets
Old 03-25-02, 01:56 AM
Rotary Freak

Originally posted by riffraff
v8kilr: email me.. i have some questions for you on how you did your taillights... i want to make mine black like that (with a black finishing plate).

felix@atg1.com

thanks
i'll just pm cause it keeps my mail box cleaner
Old 03-25-02, 02:00 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

DAMN. I wish I owned a 81-85 rx I could then do all of my ideas for the tail lights, and other stuff on it and make kits But I guess I will stick with the sa's I think I just thought up a GOOD WAY to make tail lights that have rotors light up hmmmmmmmm Maybe that will be my project tommarow if it doesnt rain. I will keep yall updated if ya would like. LATERZ,
Andrew
Old 03-25-02, 02:00 AM
Seven Is Coming

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, not you V8Kilr...I was talking about what djs2571 did with his LED lights...Check out the link for the post that I put up there...

~T.J.
Old 03-25-02, 09:59 AM

I think that the best things to do with a first gen. lights would be to replace them with light of the RX-8. I haven't look into it much at all but it looks like the overall shapes of the rear ends are close enough to pull it off.
Old 03-25-02, 08:17 PM
I can has a Hemi? Yes...

Originally posted by StrtRcr817
I think that the best things to do with a first gen. lights would be to replace them with light of the RX-8. I haven't look into it much at all but it looks like the overall shapes of the rear ends are close enough to pull it off.
It sounds nice, but they are nothing alike.
Old 03-25-02, 10:52 PM
Rotary Freak

Originally posted by StrtRcr817
altezza's
Old 03-26-02, 01:45 PM
back with rotaries

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was using led bulb on the stop lamp until a police man stop me because he was thinking that i didn't have light on the back (lucky that i didnt get a ticket )