1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

SLLLLOOOWWW Power Windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-02, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy SLLLLOOOWWW Power Windows

The power windows in my 85 -SE are extremely slow. They barely make it all the way down and stutter coming back up. Is it time for new motors?
Old 03-20-02, 10:54 AM
I can has a Hemi? Yes...

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: SLLLLOOOWWW Power Windows

Originally posted by Jerm982
The power windows in my 85 -SE are extremely slow. They barely make it all the way down and stutter coming back up. Is it time for new motors?
Before doing that. Try these in order.

1) Spray all the channels with Silicone Lubricant

2) Take the switches apart (carefully) and clean them
with electrical contact cleaner - (Big difference)

3) Make sure the windows are properly aligned

4) Replace Window Channels (Victoria British/Ebay)

5) Replace motors

P.S. Make sure you have a good battery, & good amperage. Sometimes when at idle, I will rev the engine a little to make the windows go up faster.
Old 03-20-02, 02:50 PM
Hunting Skylines

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's good advice. Back when I first got my Seven the windows would not work at all. I did the first three things that Directfreak also suggested but I also took the regulators out and cleaned and re-lubricated them. Didn't have to replace a thing and the windows have worked perfectly since. Albeit with periodic cleaning of the switches and lubing of the channels.
Old 03-20-02, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If those things don't work, chase down all the wiring harness connectors from the ignition switch to the window switches, and from the switches to the motors. There are about 10 connectors total. Take each one apart, clean the terminals and put it all back together. I had to do this to mine, it increased the voltage at the motors by a full 2 volts. Made a world of difference.

Kerry
Old 03-20-02, 04:32 PM
Seven Is Coming

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At least all of yours even go up and down, mine on at leat two of my cars, just fall off the track EVERY TIME you try and use them...I dont know about the 83, so far all I know is with just a battery in it, they just go down abouot 3 inches and stop then go back up just fine. Theyre acting like theyre falling off the tracks also . Ive taken the regulators out of the -SE and the GSL, but on each its the same problem...the main pivot in the middle is so worn that the arms are moving in the wrong direction when you try and put the window up which causes it to actually PUSH the glass out of the track .

~T.J.
Old 03-20-02, 05:35 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
also the fusable links under the hood have been known to acompany this problem,im going to be replacing my fusable links soon with aftermarket fuses or breakers.