3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

For those of you shooting BIG FLAMES!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-02, 05:00 PM
Lucky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy For those of you shooting BIG FLAMES!!

I need some advice here from those of you who are, like me, shooting huge flames. What do you guys do to protect your bumper from frying, melting, burning and turning black?? Is there anything that a person can even do?? What is everyone else out there doing to prevent this, thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-02, 05:02 PM
Lucky

Oh and I am not looking for anyone to post with a smart *** remark like, PUT YOUR MAIN CAT BACK ON. I would like useful info, lol, thanks.
Old 02-12-02, 05:05 PM
Lurking..................

I haven't done anything yet, while I have noticed that my clearcoat has started to melt off, I would like to get one of those metal plates that goes on the rear bumper right over the muffler, because I think that's what this plate is supposed to do, protect from flames. But I have yet to see them for sale in the u.s.
Old 02-12-02, 05:07 PM
1JZ powered

Location: Where there's only two seasons, hot and wet! I love Okinawa
Re: For those of you shooting BIG FLAMES!!

Originally posted by OneBadRx7
I need some advice here from those of you who are, like me, shooting huge flames. What do you guys do to protect your bumper from frying, melting, burning and turning black?? Is there anything that a person can even do?? What is everyone else out there doing to prevent this, thanks in advance!
Forget putting on that horsepower robbing catalytic converter. I just let mine turn black. Kinda gives the car character when you have a REALLY red car and a scorched spot up above the muffler where you shoot out 3 foot flames.

...or you could put something on where the burning spot it(i.e. square piece of metal) to kinda cover it up or something.
Old 02-12-02, 05:13 PM
Lucky

Unhappy

See my problem is this, even if I would have had a metal plate, which I have seen done before, above the muffler cut out it wouldnt have helped all that much since the wind must have really been blowing the night I was racing because the flames melted the bumper next to the license plate and even hit up above the RX-7 badge. I guess I will just be like jspecracer7 and have some "character" on my yellow car because I am sure it will have a completely melted black rear bumper in the near future, lol.
Old 02-12-02, 05:15 PM

onebadrx7, pm me about speakers if your still there
Old 02-12-02, 05:16 PM

i angled my muffler out to the side and brout it out about 5 inches not it takes a long time for my bumber to get even yellow.. but the blackness does come off easy with some mothers cleaner wax.
Old 02-12-02, 05:22 PM
Z06 powered FD

We used this trick to keep the rubber from sticking to the car when using slicks, it will probably work here too but will require maintinance. Rub Vaseline over the major area, wipe off and reapply every couple of days. Hopefully Vaseline isn't flamable
Old 02-12-02, 05:52 PM
Hamado things my way!

Rub Vaseline over the major area, wipe off and reapply every couple of days. Hopefully Vaseline isn't flamable

Vaseline, aka petroleum jelly is made from crude oil refined down. Never tried it but I'm pretty sure it is flammable.
Old 02-12-02, 05:54 PM
Z06 powered FD

Lets ask Node, he has alot of experience with Vaseline!
Old 02-12-02, 05:56 PM
Lucky

Originally posted by richjackson7
i angled my muffler out to the side and brout it out about 5 inches not it takes a long time for my bumber to get even yellow.. but the blackness does come off easy with some mothers cleaner wax.
How did you do this?? Sounds like a possible solution, for now anyways. I was also trying to think of a product you can merely "rub on" to help prevent the burning of the bumper but as of yet come up with nothing,
Old 02-12-02, 05:57 PM
Grumpy Lurker

I too have a CYM and shoot rather large flames inbetween shifts.

The black soot can be easily removed with most Car waxes. Given you have to put some effort into it. I put about 10 coats of wax on that part of the rear bumper and it seems to protect it rather nice.

I use ZAINO
Old 02-12-02, 06:34 PM
IRS 4 Life

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
drive faster..it wont burn/ melt if your going fast

if not meguires clear coat body scrub removes anything your paint picks up..
Old 02-12-02, 06:41 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The castrol purple cleaner takes it right off. You must rewax after using it. Dilute to 50/50. Will not damage your paint. I been doing it for a while.
Old 02-12-02, 06:48 PM
Will u do me a kindness?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Flame On, I'm Gone!

Do you mean like this???

My solution, simple notice how my exhaust tip sits a lil further out than most aftermarket exhaust? There is a reason why I did it this way!
Old 02-12-02, 06:56 PM
Hamado things my way!

Re: Flame On, I'm Gone!

Originally posted by the_glass_man
Do you mean like this???

My solution, simple notice how my exhaust tip sits a lil further out than most aftermarket exhaust? There is a reason why I did it this way!

How'd you do that?
Old 02-12-02, 07:02 PM
Lucky

My flames are actually the same if not bigger than yours in that pic. However its too late to just remove the soot with a cleaner because the paint is already bubbling, however I do have some of the Castrol stuff, I will try that, thanks. Its too bad such a cool thing causes so much damage, lol. I am going to try to space my exhaust out like 4 inches so it sits out like P'colas.
Old 02-12-02, 07:08 PM
Hamado things my way!

That's not my exhaust that's the_glass_man's. I'm just trying to find out how to space it.
Old 02-12-02, 07:10 PM
Lucky

AH, thats what I meant, the glass mans. Sorry about that. Why dont you share with us glass man, how did you space yours so far out??

Steve
Old 02-12-02, 07:38 PM
WTB** Very Low Miles 94-95

is there anothe way to do the flames without removing the cat??

j
Old 02-12-02, 07:43 PM
Hamado things my way!

Originally posted by artguy
is there anothe way to do the flames without removing the cat??

j
Nope. Unless you wanted to downgrade to 2.5" exhaust and run a second pipe from one of thos exhaust bypass deals from jegs. You just pull a cable and it dumps your exhaust out a different pipe.
Old 02-12-02, 08:08 PM
Will u do me a kindness?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My exhaust is an ASP race exhaust. It covers the mid pipe and catback all in one. When you could get the ASP you could get it with the muffler or put your own on. Mine had the Muffler from ASP which was a Dynomax I believe, the result was a really, really loud exhaust. After talking to many people I found that the Borla XR-1 racing muffler is used to quiet many of the drag and race cars. While having a complete straight through design.
At the same time I made sure that the exhaust would stick a little further from the bumber, and while it doesn't look the greatest it hasn't melted my bumber or clear coat. Not even carbon build up, and I'm sure the exhaust has seen bigger flames its not often you have someone taking pictures of it for you.
You could look into getting a longer tip welded on or maybe a different muffler.
Maybe someone out there makes a gasket that will extend the exhaust just far enough to keep your bumper from catching on fire.
Good Luck.
Old 02-12-02, 08:11 PM

Nice flames man! Bumping out the tailpipe is the best idea I could think of too.
Old 02-12-02, 08:16 PM
Hamado things my way!

Maybe someone out there makes a gasket that will extend the exhaust just far enough to keep your bumper from catching on fire.
That would be tight. Just a 6" section with a couple of flanges.
Old 02-12-02, 08:35 PM
Lucky

Wink

Originally posted by P'cola FD
That would be tight. Just a 6" section with a couple of flanges.
Hell yeah, I am sure it would be too tough to make, anyone kinow of someone that has the capability of producing this??

Quick Reply: For those of you shooting BIG FLAMES!!