3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

Intercooler question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-02, 04:16 PM
Gun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler question???

What do you guys think of the horizontial mount intercooler like the one made by SR? Also is anybody here running one on their FD? And who else make a horiziontial mount intercooler since SR discountinued theirs? Why did they stop making them? Do they work? It seems like a good idea since you can keep everything like AC right? Sorry for all the questions I saw a couple of pics with the HMIC and thought they looked good. Any all all opninions welcomed. Please teach me.

Thanks Gun
Old 01-31-02, 04:22 PM
DK
40k worth of fail

The horizontal mount is great if you have the right hood (one with reverse scoops like a Mazdaspeed one, etc.). I don't know who else makes them in the USA, but in Japan all of the real rotary tuners offer them. It'd be expensive for you to get one, though. They're actually pretty much as common, if not more common, on the course FDs produced by tuners than FMICs.
Old 01-31-02, 04:23 PM
OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knightsports in japan has a intergrated setup (ic/rad)..that is similar...I think with proper ducting and vented hood it might be an improvement. But I think looks might have got the best of it...since all us FD owners are so swallow..
Old 01-31-02, 04:43 PM
Mr. Links

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Have you called SR Motor Sports? The website says their horizontal mount intercooler is discontinued.
Old 01-31-02, 04:50 PM
Gun

Yes I know the SR HMIC is discontiuned. It says so in my original post.
Anybody else have any thoughts on HMIC?

later Gun
Old 01-31-02, 05:04 PM
Mr. Links

Who else makes a HMIC for the FD?
Old 01-31-02, 05:19 PM
Rotard

Anyone have any pics of an HMIC installed on an FD? Is it like the IC on a Turbo II?
Old 01-31-02, 07:21 PM
Mr. Links

Originally posted by Red95T-Rex
Anyone have any pics of an HMIC installed on an FD? Is it like the IC on a Turbo II?
There is one on SR Motorsports' site:

http://www.srmotorsports.com/sr93intr.html
Old 02-01-02, 12:54 PM
Gun

There are some other pics of a forum members ride with one installed, I think in the single turbo question. I like how it looks. Should stay cool and keep the rad cool also especially if you have a vented hood.

Gun
Old 02-01-02, 01:02 PM
The one

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The reason SR doesnt sell them anymore is because nobody bought any. Unless you run a vented hood its a waste of money.

Jason
Old 02-01-02, 02:32 PM
Gun

Wounldn't a HMIC work just as good as a SMIC? I know the SR page says it works good without a vented hood. If you had a vented hood all the better. Anybody have any experience with the HMIC or know antbody who has one? Just looking over options and liked how it looked and I plan on getting a vented hood anyways.

thanks Gun
Old 02-01-02, 03:09 PM
Mr. Links

Exclamation

I think the first question should be who else sells a HMIC for the FD besides SR Motorsports?

If they are the only ones offering one and they have discontinued it, then it doesn't matter how well it works with or without a vented hood.
Old 02-01-02, 03:37 PM

GUN,
I like the way it looks also. seems to be very easy for plumbing. looks easy to make a duct for. you can have a huge ammount of surface area and since I have a vented hood on the way this may be what Im looking for.
maybe the reason they didn't sell too many was BC the price was high and you had to change your battery and intake to accomodate it also. Horizontal in design should make no difference over vertical if your ducting is good enough.

Subaru WRX's use a functioning hood scoop that goes right through a horizontal IC and because of this the car has and extremly short intake distance. I believe it is one of the shortest ever for any production car.

Keep us posted if you hear from SR on why they quit making these
Greg
Old 02-01-02, 10:57 PM
Gun

I haven't contacted SR about it yet. But others like DK said that all the tuners in Japan offer a HMIC. So I though I would ask around here before I went into a real seach for an actual HMIC. It can be that hard to get a hold of one if there common in Japan. I'm trying to find out as much as I can, so I probally try and talk to SR and see what they say.
Anybody else?

later Gun
Old 02-01-02, 11:12 PM
Mr. Links

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Gun
I haven't contacted SR about it yet. But others like DK said that all the tuners in Japan offer a HMIC. So I though I would ask around here before I went into a real seach for an actual HMIC. It can be that hard to get a hold of one if there common in Japan. I'm trying to find out as much as I can, so I probally try and talk to SR and see what they say.
Anybody else?

later Gun
Even if all the top Japan tuners offer them, would it be worth paying the price of getting one imported verses just getting a SMIC or FMIC which will probably do a better job?

I haven't seen any place here in the states selling them aside from SR who discontinued them. I would guess the price difference of getting a HMIC imported and the performance of it over the others would not justify the cost.

I would imagine if they were that good, they would be more readily available here in the US.
Old 02-02-02, 03:37 PM
Gun

You're probally right but I still look into it. And let you guys know.

Gun
Old 02-02-02, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back when I was looking at making my own I got a quote on a custom intercooler from Griffin (they make some really good stuff) for about $1400. Nice big core (two row, so pretty deep too) and custom end tanks that would have mounted like SR's. Then I got into the ducting issue and stopped about there. Just too much involved in putting it together myself and I don't have access to a machine shop like I used to...I can't even bend sheet metal anymore.

That type of IC with the right ducting and a vented hood would be the best possible combo available. Nice short & relatively straight IC piping, doesn't obstruct flow to the radiator, pretty damn big and personally, I like the way that it makes the engine compartment look.
Old 02-02-02, 11:18 PM
Gun

Exactlly what I was thinking mmaragos. I'm going to contact SR about it and see waht they say. But It doesn't seem like any one on the board has had one or know someone who has had one? So no luck in the performance info area. Like I said I'll go ahead and mail SR and find out.

Gun
Old 02-03-02, 10:29 PM
Gun

bump

Anybody else??

Gun
Old 02-04-02, 07:16 AM

talk to SR yet?

keep us posted on what you find. I am going to try and make one of these myself. However I do it, I will have a Strut tower brace.

Greg
Old 02-04-02, 12:21 PM
Gun

I e-mailed them and I'm waiting for a response. Their website said that htey get 100's of e-mails a day so it might be a couple of days before I get anything. When I do I let you guys know. If I get tired of waiting I just call them and ask. forcfed1 keep us updated on your progress.

later Gun
Old 02-06-02, 06:47 PM
Gun

Got an e-mail from SR today they said the reason they discontinued the HMIC was that the manufacturer of the carbon fiber ducting was having trouble making the ducts. They said thay have noon in stock at this time. SO I think they will still be selling them once they get more in. I'll call and try to find out for anybody who cares.

later Gun
Old 02-07-02, 07:25 AM

I don't car if they have any. I will be making my own. Intercooler projects are one of my favorite on my turbo cars. what I am interested in, how well do they work. If they quit because they didn't work well, that's one thing, a problem with materials is another.
for me right now, it's a toss up between this and an air to liquid cooler.
Im leaning in this dirrection.
Greg
Old 02-07-02, 10:56 AM
Gun

Try calling them and asking. I e-mail them and they didn't give me any performance numbers so I think if one would call and talkk to them they'd get better results.

later Gun
Old 02-07-02, 12:02 PM
i am not a girl

seems to me liek these discussions about intercoolers go on hopelessly inot no where everyone just posts opinons and no real facts...pressure drops on SMIC and FMIC and exhaust temp output shoudl be one of teh things to look at...

Quick Reply: Intercooler question???