2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Stock vs Hybrid : pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-02, 06:28 PM
I'm with stupid -----^

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock vs Hybrid : pics

With the recent threads about going to hybrid turbos, I figured I would just post a few pics of my setup:

Stock series 4 Turbo on the left, TO4 compressor on a series 5 turbine side..

Side shot of the 2 turbos, notice how the exhaust inlet is angled diffrently on the series 5, the series 5 exhaust manifold's are completely diffrent from a series 4.. if you plan on doing a swap, you'll need the newer manifold.. Notice the equal sized ports as well.. no more twin scroll door..

Last, a shot of the turbine side.. the turbine wheels are about the same size on both turbos, but you'll notice the angle of the blades are diffrent..
Note the larger wastegate door as well..
Old 01-27-02, 06:31 PM
1JZ powered

Location: Where there's only two seasons, hot and wet! I love Okinawa
FINALLY!!!

Someone who has done it AND posted pics. I wanted to do this to my FC when I owned it for awhile before I went LARGE single turbo.

Now that I've got my FD though...T-04S on the way...
Old 01-27-02, 06:42 PM
Best of both worlds

awesome pics man!
Old 01-27-02, 08:56 PM
Glock Lover

So that will bolt to the stock manifold? How much HP is it good for?
Old 01-27-02, 09:16 PM
Professional Lurker

Would that bolt to the HKS manifold? It's pretty cheap I think...

Very nice where did you get it? I want!
Old 01-27-02, 11:18 PM
I'm with stupid -----^

A T04 compressor housing + wheel + backplate will bolt to the center+turbine section of a series 4 or 5 turbo.. a series 5 turbo is preferable because of it's enhanced turbine section.. The turbine section of the series 5 allows for quicker spool + better boost control (ie: less spikeing and creep) due to it's larger wastegate..
People hae made hybrids with the series 4 turbos with good results as well.. just make sure you port the wastegate as much as you can..
No matter what turbo you use, you must remember to use the matching exhaust manifold.. they are not interchangeable..

some things to watch for:

a 60-1 Hi Fi TO4B compressor is probably the largest you can bolt on that won't present fitment issues when bolting on the turbo (Compressor housing hitting the lower intake manifold)

The stock wastegate actuator will have to have one of it's mounting holes on the bracket notched or enlarged in order to mount on the back of the compressor housing (spacing is diffrent)

You may need to install a nipple either on the compressor housing or the aluminum pipe (One that the BOV connects to) for the wastegate hose to connect to (If you look at the pics above, the hybrid compressor housing doesn't have a fitting on it)

When installing a series 5 turbo into a series 4 motor, you will want to use the series 4 oil and water lines .. they will hook up with no problems.. the series 5 lines will not hook up to the series 4 block..

The series 5 turbo to manifold gasket is diffrent from the series 4 gasket, so you can't reuse it.. however the series 4 manifold to block gasket will work with the series 5 manifold..

You'll need to do the TID mod since the turbo inlet is larger on the TO4 then the stock hitachi

Depending on the compressor wheel/housing combination you choose, and if you modify the turbine wheel at all (get it clipped etc) I would estimate you being able to hit anywhere betwee 250 - 290 rwhp
Old 01-27-02, 11:27 PM
Glock Lover

Originally posted by Chris Ng
A T04 compressor housing + wheel + backplate will bolt to the center+turbine section of a series 4 or 5 turbo.. a series 5 turbo is preferable because of it's enhanced turbine section.. The turbine section of the series 5 allows for quicker spool + better boost control (ie: less spikeing and creep) due to it's larger wastegate..
People hae made hybrids with the series 4 turbos with good results as well.. just make sure you port the wastegate as much as you can..
No matter what turbo you use, you must remember to use the matching exhaust manifold.. they are not interchangeable..
So I can just modify my stock turbo? Im going S5 here real soon...It sounds like basically all im re-using is the center section?
Old 01-29-02, 02:35 AM
Rotary Freak

I bought a series5 turbo just for this. If anybody has a write up, please post it. I don't feel like reinventing the wheel.

jerk_racer@hotmail.com
Old 02-22-02, 06:23 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

man, now I am seriously considering getting this done.
Old 02-22-02, 06:31 PM
Super Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TonyTurboII

So I can just modify my stock turbo? Im going S5 here real soon...It sounds like basically all im re-using is the center section?
You're reusing the center and the hotside.
Old 02-22-02, 06:41 PM

THis is a good cheap upgrade. Im gonna do it as soon as I get around to it. I need to get my T04 back from my friend. Did you see my post under the single turbo forum. If not please respond. I have a few more questions on this.
Old 02-23-02, 12:59 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

I have a friend with a T04B 60-1 hifi compressor housing, stock exhaust manifold, and stock engine block thats making 360 at the wheels, ran an 11.9 at the track with this setup.
Old 02-23-02, 02:48 AM
HWO
inteligent extratarestril

i have it on good authority from a certain guru on this forum, that if you are gonna do a hybrid with a 60-1 compressor, you are better off with a S4 turbo to start with, due to the entry angle of the exhuast gas onto the turbine blades they dont suffer from the same surging problems the S5 turbo's do. just a little food for thought. add an external wastegate, dail up 20psi and hang on
Old 02-23-02, 11:22 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Does anyone know what size the stock Turbine housing is?

Could you not just put a Devided T04B turbo on the stock manifold or would this not work?

Last edited by Grizzly; 02-23-02 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-23-02, 11:54 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Grizzly
Does anyone know what size the stock Turbine housing is?
1.00A/R is about the only info that can be dug up on it.&nbsp The rest is a proprietary Hitachi design.

Could you not just put a Devided T04B turbo on the stock manifold or would this not work?
No, you can't do that - at least not very quickly and easily.

-Ted