Interior / Exterior / Audio Talk about interior and exterior mods including audio.

FC with 10" sub in spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-02, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FC with 10" sub in spare tire

Here is the sub. It's not finished (note the wire and gaps around the edes) but here it is. the spare tire is still inplace. Well it I had to raise it about 1/2". The carpet will cover it but it is tight and looks kind of funny. I plan to get a longer piece of carpet and redo it.

Not the best mounting board. I am not really in love with wood working.

The factory 4" speaker on the left that I have been listening for so long. I can't believe I waited so long.

The tub that sit in the strut tower (only on some years and models) factory is shown on left, right is after I put a 6 1/2" woofer in it. Had to bottom mount it for clearance for the factory trim peice to cover.

The sub sounds great and isn't taking up space from the passenger compartment. Way it is now I only have to remove 2 screws to get to the spare.

Should have done this a long time ago.
Old 02-24-02, 03:46 PM

pictures

is it possible that you could post some pics of what the back of the sub box looks like, so we can see how it fits with the spare tire still in place???? If so that would be awesome.
Old 02-24-02, 11:27 PM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice job, thanks for all of the pictures
Old 02-25-02, 09:34 AM
My cars louder than yours

DDDUUUDDEE TTHHATTSS PPIIMPP!!! i have been thinking about doing this for damn ever, but my non wood working *** cant think of any way to do this, i wanted to use a 12 though. with the spare in place? sweet god man thats tight. Please do post a pic on the back, im curious how this works. GREAT JOB MAN!
Old 02-25-02, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the compliments.

I will have to get some more pics after it warms up more here. I gotten it finished now except for some more carpet to cover it.

Don't think a 12" will fit with the spare still there. Notice the bottom edge of my 10" is almost against the floor and the top is about where it starts to bend over to meet up with the hatch. Without the spare maybe or if it protruded into the car more. Also on mine there is only about 1/4" or less between the back of the magnet and the rim of the spare tire.
Old 02-26-02, 09:27 PM
My cars louder than yours

well, if i do a 12 im going to yank the spare tire out and move the front board back so that the sub will sit down some too. Ill have a box to set it in, not just the front board and use the car as a box (is that what you did? bc you said the magnet was on the tire, so im assuming you just have that front board on the body and using the rest of the space in the well as the box)
Old 03-05-02, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Roy James
use the car as a box (is that what you did? bc you said the magnet was on the tire, so im assuming you just have that front board on the body and using the rest of the space in the well as the box)
Yes I am using the spare compartment as the box. Which is why I used a free air sub. Measure everything closely if your going to try a 12". It gets pretty tight in there.
Old 03-06-02, 12:00 PM
WTB S5 N/A FC

Is it possible to run 2 10"s? I have some RF XLC ones from my old truck just sitting in a bandpass box in my garage (I upgraded to 12"s, then sold them w/ the truck). Would this work?
Old 03-08-02, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by rico05
Is it possible to run 2 10"s? I have some RF XLC ones from my old truck just sitting in a bandpass box in my garage (I upgraded to 12"s, then sold them w/ the truck). Would this work?
The spare would definately not fit with 2 10" in it.
Old 03-10-02, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Thaniel

The spare would definately not fit with 2 10" in it.
So you can do 2 10s with out the spare?

Looks good