1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

MSD box install

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-03, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSD box install

im still confused on how to install the box to both coils- the instructions do not apply, I dont need to boxes do I?
Old 07-26-03, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
You need to PM V8kilr who can do this in his sleep UNDERNEATH the car...
Old 07-28-03, 12:02 PM

bump
Old 07-28-03, 12:13 PM
Are you gonna shift?!

Are you converting to direct fire?
Old 07-28-03, 02:37 PM

no, im just adding the "blaster" box, it was about $80
Old 07-30-03, 11:06 PM

I'm new to rotarys so could you explain the direct fire.

I mave two MSD 6A boxes and 2 MSD coils I was going to put on tomorrow but I want to know more direct fire first.
Old 07-30-03, 11:16 PM

I have an 80 RX7 with a distributor with points and vaccuum advance.
Old 07-30-03, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by racintang

I mave two MSD 6A boxes and 2 MSD coils I was going to put on tomorrow but I want to know more direct fire first.

Check out: https://www.rx7club.com/forum/showth...hreadid=188907
for info on direct fire Ignition.

If you need a 3rd Igniter for that set-up check Ebay. There is a person on there selling the J109 Igniters for $15.99 to $21.00, which is very cheap!
Old 07-31-03, 12:21 AM
GSL-SE PRO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my car i was ONLY able to run directfire....

I had to get 3 coils, I tried running it normally and it started BUT it was horrible.

Also when you go directfire, get ready to buy a set of sparkplug wires that you cut and crimp to size. Because of the extra coil wire you'll need plus the new distances for the wires from spark plug to coil.

If you got a SE model pm me and I'll tell you what to do. I did mine about 2 months ago.

Or follow max7's website with the how to.
Old 07-31-03, 04:26 AM

Thanks for showing me how to do it but as for my question. What is direct fire and what is its pros compared to the old system?
Old 08-08-03, 08:50 AM
TEAM MAZDA

Direct fire is the way to go, I did it a couple of weeks ago and works well! Except for my Tach, my tach died, but I still think it was worth it. The pro's is that you have the spark go directly to the plugs instead of having it go through the dist. Which means, better response, gas mileage, and more power! Smooths out the engine like headers or MSD Blaster coils.

If any one has a fix for my tach, it would really help me. I have tried all kinds of things? I have hooked up the ground wire of trailing and leading to trailing and leading coils and also the power with no difference?
Old 08-08-03, 09:00 AM
I'll Apex YOUR Seal

are ur igniters working?
Old 08-08-03, 09:33 AM
Rotary Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by mar3
You need to PM V8kilr who can do this in his sleep UNDERNEATH the car...
Thank you sir,
although its odd that I'm known for direct fire rather then "cutting the wire on the the fuel cut relay" trick.

The truth is when I want to perfrom a mod, or do anything for that matter I read, and read, and read, take a nap, ponder, then read more.

The iginition system on an 1st gen rx7 is extremely simple compaired to whats out there.

here is a quick run down,
You have your dizzy "distributor" which tells the iginitor when to send a signal to the coil to release its "spark energy" and send it down to the plugs.

It sends what I belive is a positlively charged spark energy down to the naturally grounded plugs and this creates our spark.

Yes theres alot more to it then that but thats the iginition system in a nut shell.

I will start some new post's to answer q's so you dont have to read one long post.
Old 08-08-03, 09:42 AM
I'll Apex YOUR Seal

good idea V8kilr...get started at that now...i'm gonna do this soon

thanx
Old 08-08-03, 10:01 AM
Rotary Freak

Re: MSD box install

Originally posted by redrx
im still confused on how to install the box to both coils- the instructions do not apply, I dont need to boxes do I?
You need 1 box per any number of coils, I believe each box can drive up to 3 coils.

If you dont see it in the instructions you have some bad instruction and might have bought your box used?

and just to make it clear while I am writing on this subject this setup is not called "DLIDFIS".
but it is the one that is referred to as "DLIDFIS".

here is why it is not

DLIDFIS stand for Dual Leading Ignitor Direct Fire Igntion System, this is only 1 leading ignitor, just like before, except now your using a msd box.

So unless anyone plans to run 2 msd boxes on just the leading igintion it is not "DLIDFIS"

sorry I had to rant, I dont know who the hell gave it that name, but I know why, and I know the actuall setup it refers to "one with 2 ignitors on the leading side", but this from now on should be called "MSDDFIS"

Ok wire up your MSD box as per instructions on the pickup side of things.

Remove your leading ignitor and pack it away, where it was located you will find two wires "Green and Red"

Connect the Green to the Purple on the msd box, and the Red to the Green on the msd box.

when you go to hook up one of the coils just split the wires and drive two in paralell.

Now one coil goes to one plug "doesnt matter which" bypassing the dizzy cap and rotor.
Old 08-08-03, 10:03 AM
Rotary Freak

Originally posted by Mr BiG G
good idea V8kilr...get started at that now...i'm gonna do this soon

thanx
well for now I am just gonna post in here, later I will start a whole new thread for the archive so when people ask they can get thrown an "explain it all" link.

I plan to do three complete 1st gen writeups by the end of the week.
Old 08-08-03, 10:15 AM
Rotary Freak

Originally posted by racintang

First off you need to ditch the points ignition setup and upgrade to the later style, its not hard or expensive and its well worth it for the full effect of a msd ignition system.

Next unless you plan to run true "DLIDFIS" then you only need one box.

If you planned to run one box leading and one box trailing then forget about it, you will hurt yourself "well your car" more then help.

You could however use one more msd coil for your trailing for a more complete setup.

I would run the two msd 6a boxes on the leading and have one box drive one coil, then leave the secondary igintion system in tact only changing out to one blaster 2 coil "or which ever msd coils you bought".

Two msd 6a boxes are overkill, but I would rather have two on the leading then one on the leading and one on the trailing.

Basically with the msd setup that everyone refers to as "DLIDFIS" "which its not" you are just replacing your ignitor with a msd box, then adding a coils for extra fire power since box can handle more coils then the stock ignitors.

You are also creating one extra spark per combustion cycle on each rotor, this is known as a "wasted spark".

It doesnt hurt anything, actually helps for a more complete burn.

to find out more pros and cons and people's results search under the 1st gen section only using key words "direct fire".

For my results search same key words but add my name.
Old 08-08-03, 10:16 AM
Rotary Freak

Originally posted by redrx
no, im just adding the "blaster" box, it was about $80
theres no point, I did it and it sucked, add a coil for another $35 new
Old 08-08-03, 10:18 AM
Rotary Freak

Originally posted by 813KR$
Direct fire is the way to go, I did it a couple of weeks ago and works well! Except for my Tach, my tach died, but I still think it was worth it. The pro's is that you have the spark go directly to the plugs instead of having it go through the dist. Which means, better response, gas mileage, and more power! Smooths out the engine like headers or MSD Blaster coils.

If any one has a fix for my tach, it would really help me. I have tried all kinds of things? I have hooked up the ground wire of trailing and leading to trailing and leading coils and also the power with no difference?
You shouldnt have had to touch your secondary ignition system so your tach should not have been effected.

I ran a blaster 2 coil on my secondary and had no problems with my tach
Old 08-13-03, 10:42 AM
TEAM MAZDA

This is exactly my thought, but it didnt work out, for me that way? I had originally only 2 blasters and the tach worked fine. converted over to direct fire with 1 msd 6a box and no tach? not sure why I have tried hooking the ground to both T and L with no changes? Also tried hooking the positive to both T and L? still the same?

"You shouldnt have had to touch your secondary ignition system so your tach should not have been effected.

I ran a blaster 2 coil on my secondary and had no problems with my tach"
Old 08-13-03, 11:14 AM

where can i get an upgraded distributor
Old 08-13-03, 11:48 AM
Airflow is my life

Upgraded? With an 80 dizzy your all set for doing an MSD upgrade.
Old 08-13-03, 11:56 AM
Airflow is my life

V8kilr can you tell me why you wouldnt use one MSD leading and one Trailing? And isint splitting splitting one MSD output to 2 coils effectively halving the spark energy between the 2? I understand that one box can fire 2 coils, but can it deliver enough spark to keep the power up at hi RPM's?
Old 08-13-03, 12:29 PM
TEAM MAZDA

I have heard 1 msd 6a box could run a whole row of coils with no problem? I read it on one of the DLIDFIS tutorials.
Old 08-13-03, 12:32 PM
TEAM MAZDA

Rx7carl, what do you know about modifying Holley 600 vac sec?

Quick Reply: MSD box install