2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Name Brand Premix a waste of $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-03, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Name Brand Premix a waste of $$$?

After doing a search here, and reading the poll. It appears that most people that replied use premix. So here is a statement and Question to get some feed back on.
The main reason that people premix is for Combustion chamber cleanliness; which prolongs the life of the motor,also as a by product impoves performance due to better compession seal.
Sooo seing that the main (99%) ingredient in the majority of fuel system treatments Ie. MMO, fuel injector cleaner, carb cleaner, Octaine booster and most brands of comercial pre-mix is KEROSENE. Called Petrolium Distilate (you find this under the warning label for poison control)
Unless specificaly identified as the other cleaner Aromatic Naptha.
Does anybody use Pure straight Kereosene in there fuel as a substitute for the regular comercial Pre-mix???
You can buy 6 litres for the same cost as 500 ml of pre-mix. It is mixed in the same 100-1 ratio.
For over a decade I have been using Kerosene in my off-road race cars as an octainbooster; and in my passenger vehicles as a fuel system/injector/combusion chamber cleaner.
I have had 0, repeat 0 problems using this on any motor.
However I am new to the rotory world and was wondering if anybody could educate me as to why this would NOT be benificial to a rotary?
Thanks for any knowledgeable feed back.
Old 01-19-03, 03:23 PM
SOLD THE RX-7!

I just run normal 2cly oil. running vavoline "muti purpose" now but on the last bottle and haven't found anymore in a while... doh.

I run it as a lube between the rotor housings and apex seals, not as a cleaner...

also with a working OMP I hardly use any. 100-200ml per tank. so it doesn't really cost me very much..

PS join www.bcrx7.com

Last edited by Scott 89t2; 01-19-03 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-19-03, 03:31 PM
hambre y sueño

yeah, I don't use name brand premix, never had any problems.
Old 01-19-03, 07:30 PM
W. TX chirpin Monkey

as long as it's TCW-3 then it's good for me. I usually find Valvoline, the easiest.
Old 01-19-03, 07:37 PM

I stopped running premix because it fucked up my injectors. Now it sputters and doesn't pull like it used to above 7000 RPM's.
Old 01-20-03, 11:40 PM
Rotor Head Extreme

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Mykl
I stopped running premix because it fucked up my injectors. Now it sputters and doesn't pull like it used to above 7000 RPM's.

If thats the case, why don't you use the kerosene to clean out the system like 88RX-VIII suggest?

Hmmmmmm! I wonder could you use the kerosene and 2cyl oil together.
Old 01-20-03, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by t-von

If thats the case, why don't you use the kerosene to clean out the system like 88RX-VIII suggest?

Hmmmmmm! I wonder could you use the kerosene and 2cyl oil together.
Well... tonight the car pulled good all the way to the rev limiter so I'm not sure what the problem is anymore. Sometimes the car starts hesitating at 7500 RPM's, sometimes it appears to be fine. Perhaps it's an electrical problem somewhere. Not that it matters much anymore, I'll just shift at 7500 RPM's for the next few months, the engine that's in the car now won't be there for much longer.